View Diary: Brit Hume: Christie's no bully, he's an 'old fashioned guy's guy' in a 'feminized atmosphere' (234 comments)

•  Men who talk and act this way (18+ / 0-)

are usually the first to cry and lash out when things get tough.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 07:36:05 AM PST

•  They're called abusers. (5+ / 0-)

I lived with one.  And they're so out of tune with their unacceptable behavior that they say such asshole-ish things in public.   He would be shocked to know how he is perceived.  Abusers also have a high opinion of themselves (at least outwardly).

The GOP will destroy anything they can't own.

by AnnieR on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 09:11:43 AM PST

•  They're called that because they ARE that (2+ / 0-)
        AnnieR, starduster

I've known more than a few. One has caused and continues to cause immense damage to my family and other people I know. They are monsters. And yet, because we still live in a culture that lets them get away with it and applauds and rewards their behavior, they continue to exist and even thrive.

Only society as a whole can do something about this.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 09:22:04 AM PST

•  I lived with my rightwing sister and her (2+ / 0-)
          starduster, kovie

extremely hateful drunken far right boyfriend for a year.  He is verbally and emotionally abusive to her each day, and she thinks he's cute.  I can't fix her.  However, she's complaining now to my oldest dearest friend that I don't want anything to do with him, so said friend has now taken it upon herself as her mission to get me to forgive.  She doesn't understand it's not about forgiving.  I don't want that toxic creep anywhere near my life.  Not so sure how this situation is going to play out, but he's not welcome in my life any longer.  She has the right to "love" (called desperation) anyone she wants, but apparently I don't have that same right.  Typical rightwing crap.

The GOP will destroy anything they can't own.

by AnnieR on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 12:56:19 PM PST

•  This happened with my sister (1+ / 0-)
            AnnieR

It didn't end well. Good luck with your situation. Do what you can for your sister, but the willingness if not eagerness to accept massive abuse seems to be programmed into women from birth by our culture, and some seem to have no resistance to it. Predator men sense this, and prey on such women. You may have to resort to drastic measures to "rescue" her, but even that might not help. Stick to your guns though. You don't have to be destroyed by what's destroying your sister, and she's going to need you when he's gone.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 01:46:57 PM PST

•  How aptly put. (1+ / 0-)
              kovie

And "predator" is just exactly how I see him.  He has it made.  He doesn't work.  She buys his smokes and beer, and he sits in the garage all day and watches tv and listens to hate radio and bitches about what we liberals do in far away places that have no influence on his life whatsoever.  Why would he ever give that up?  What a sad and sorry state of affairs.  I can't even imagine what she's thinking.  When he threatened my dog with physical harm I spoke to my lawyer boss about it, and his first reaction was "how hard up is she?"  Very, apparently.  She's the kind of woman who has to have a man in her life, and I guess this filthy foul mouthed drunken loathsome creature qualifies.  And honestly that's not being judgmental.  This is what he is.

The GOP will destroy anything they can't own.

by AnnieR on Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 10:14:46 AM PST