View Diary: West Virginia Water Update (121 comments)

•  murrayewv, (15+ / 0-)

In all of my reading about this crisis, I came across an AP poll, somewhere, that showed the people of WV are simultaneously angry with industry there and fearful for their jobs in those same industries.  I feel for the people of WV, because that is a hell of a predicament to be in.

The problem is that industry rules WV.  Here's a story coming out of the WV lege yesterday:

Basically, the House Democratic leadership is trying to pass a whistleblowers' law to root out fraud and corruption that involve state government contracts.  Here's the Chamber of Commerce's response:

But Roberts [the CoC prez] ... has pledged to go to the mat on this one.  “The business community is 100 percent adamantly opposed to a plaintiffs’ lawyers ‘sue and settle’ statute.”  He pledges opposition at every stage of the legislative process, adding that the Chamber would also hold it against bill supporters at election time.
    Open threats.  As if the legislators are only beholden to business and the only viable way to conduct business in WV is fraudulently!
    •  The unfortunate truth (8+ / 0-)

is that the federal Environmental Protection Agency's new  regulations on CO2 emissions from coal fired power plants will probably wipe out a couple of thousand of coal mining jobs.

Reduced coal combustion is good for the planet, but it will in fact cost coal mining jobs.

Yes, those newly unemployed folks can go to work someplace else, they could move to Iowa and work in a windmill factory, if those plants are still hiring when the tax breaks expire soon.

I'm not arguing against reductions in coal combustion. I wanted to point out that folks who complain about  EPA regs costing jobs, are not always irrational.

As long as there's no jobs program for laid-off coal miners, they've got good reasons to be afraid.

“The answer must be, I think, that beauty and grace are performed whether or not we will or sense them. The least we can do is try to be there.” ― Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

by 6412093 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 11:31:21 AM PST

•  I hear ya, 6, (7+ / 0-)

but to my personal knowledge the jobs versus environment problem has been going on since at least the early '70s.

But now, in 2014, the military has been using solar and other repressed technologies for several years. It seems to me the military-industrial-complex could start building all kinds of solar equipment in West Virginia. Other renewables are being fast-tracked by field-testing in the military, and perhaps some of that could be done there as well.

That could avoid other disasters such as this one. It should be done in the interest of national security because we all live downstream, and without clean water we are ... uh ... dead.

.02

"Let each unique song be sung and the spell of differentiation be broken" - Winter Rabbit

by cotterperson on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 01:06:16 PM PST

•  Hi cotterperson (6+ / 0-)

I sure wish the feds would do something to help improve the West Virginia economy.

I'm not trying to argue jobs vs environment by suggesting relaxing environmental regulations, of course.

What I am hoping is we don't ignore the economic impacts of reducing or eliminating coal from our national power generation  efforts.  If I was a coal miner or worked in a coal-fired power plant, I'd fear for my job and it wouldn't be paranoia.

It is funny you mention the military.  They seem very conscious of the limits of fossil fuels. I remember when they moved to geothermal power for the China Lake base in NE California, and they're pursuing advances in biofuels, also.

by 6412093 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 02:10:13 PM PST

•  we don't have a military base.... (4+ / 0-)
            cotterperson, 6412093, Skyye, JVolvo

which has buffered the economy of so many Southern states.  Not that we need more military industrial complex, but some of these states who hate the federal government will fight a base closing.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. Aldous Huxley

by murrayewv on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 03:43:25 PM PST

•  The Late Senator Robert Byrd (3+ / 0-)
            samanthab, murrayewv, cotterperson

moved lots of government jobs from DC to West Virginia. Including, as I remember, a big IRS division.

But nothing can replace the coal industry as it (hopefully) dies.

Sadly, the jobs will be gone, wealth concentrated elsewhere, but the chemicals and environmental destruction will stay forever.

No matter what, good people will lose their livelihoods and their home environment. Unwitting accomplices to their own tragedies.

They should, but probably don't appreciate all of you West Virginians who are working so hard to open eyes, expose problems and help positive change!

Senator (Cruz), you're no Wendy Davis.

by VA Gal on Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 05:31:53 AM PST

•  we still have those good jobs..... (1+ / 0-)
              cotterperson

and moving the big FBI computer and fingerprint facility has been good for security of the facility and jobs.  I was helped a lot by Senator Byrd.  He was very clean and honest as a politician and did a lot of good for the state.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. Aldous Huxley