View Diary: ‘From Hell, Hull and Halifax, may the Good Lord deliver us…’ (58 comments)

•  Well, it wasn't a bad effort, at times..... (9+ / 0-)

(typical understatement - cough)

To paraphrase General 'Hap' Arnold, 'In September 1940, the RAF took off to save everything - and did so'

But we paid a fearful price - over 60,000 civilian dead (many people don't know this) and a bankrupt nation.

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 09:51:20 PM PST

•  I feel badly sometimes: we did what we could to (8+ / 0-)

help Britain in 1940-41, but we weren't anywhere near ready for war. Were we, I would hope we would have gotten in sooner than we did.

Bankrupt nation indeed: my family were forever sending care packages across the pond to our cousins well into the 50's. Britain was a total mess.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 10:14:06 PM PST

•  I am here because of packages such as those. (7+ / 0-)

My family was sustained by the gifts of food and clothing showered on them by a farming couple from South Dakota. When I arrived, they became my godparents (in a proxy service). Sadly, they are long gone, but their generous spirit has not.........

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 03:44:57 AM PST

•  I still have cousin Hilda's side of the (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, shortfinals

correspondence between her and her aunt, my great grandmother, and in nearly every letter there is a thank you for one thing or another that had been sent over from the States.

One of these days I need to write a "Dear Aunt May" diary and share the story and some excerpts from those letters. They give you a very good picture of what life was like in Brierly Hill and Wolverhampton after the war and into the 50's.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 08:26:02 AM PST

•  That would be a wonderful thing to do..... (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, commonmass

I know the Wolverhampton area reasonably well, as I worked for a company who had a subsidiary there.

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 02:18:21 PM PST

•  I may ask you for a quick "interview" (2+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, shortfinals

(that is, answering a few questions about your own experience, off the record or on, your choice) via KosMail as I prepare it. Since you have first hand knowledge of what I'm talking about, and my British relatives today are far removed from that and deeply disinterested in digging all that up again.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 04:12:32 PM PST

•  No problem....my father was in a 'reserved' ... (3+ / 0-)

....occupation, but had to take his turn as a 'fire watcher', and we were near-missed by a 250kg bomb courtesy of the Luftwaffe. My late m-i-l built Spitfire wings; I had an Uncle in the Grenadier Guards, and another who served in the British Army at the local P.O.W camp that allowed Leutnant Franz von Werra to escape! (see, 'The One That Got Away')

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'