View Diary: Chicago Summers, 1966-67: Grown Wary and Weary of Racism (14 comments)

•  I lived on the north side of Chicago, (1+ / 0-)
    dannyboy1

a few blocks from Lawrence and Wolcott (maybe a mile west of Uptown -- Lawrence and Broadway, I think Damien and Lawrence were close to Wolcott) around 1961-63, when I was in kindergarten, first and second grade.  Went to McPherson school on Lawrence across from the Sears store, which was still there a few years ago when I was in Chicago.  In spring 1963, my mom and the kids moved back to St. Louis and I grew up in a suburb of St. Louis.   Became a hippy in the early 70s, left wing, etc.

I always wondered what it would have been like had we stayed on the North Side there.  I hope I would have been like you.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 08:01:28 AM PST

•  I know that neighborhood very well. (2+ / 0-)
      TomP, thomask

I go back at least once a year to visit my mom and dad. Dad eventually came around some, even voted for President Obama the first time. He's a bit sour these days but pretty much on life, in general. I do believe he made it out of his darkest place(s), though. Our histories aren't too different. I liked the Cardinals more than the Cubbies, BTW. Brock, Flood, Shannon, Gibson...what a great team.

I discover myself on the verge of a usual mistake. ― Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

by dannyboy1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 08:05:29 AM PST

•  That was a great team!! (1+ / 0-)
        dannyboy1

I saw my first baseball games with that team.

by TomP on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 08:15:58 AM PST

•  How funny that I don't know the North Side at all (2+ / 0-)
        dannyboy1, petral

Of course I don't know baseball, being a girl, and of course you would have been run out of my neighborhood if you were a little boy and a Cubs fan. South Sider here. Hyde Park/South Shore. Grew up six blocks from Michelle Obama.

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 11:23:45 AM PST

•  my parents were south siders (0+ / 0-)

and Sox fans, and took us to Sox games only, though rarely. I was born on the South side and lived there till four. My mom and dad grew up where you and Michelle Obama did.

by dannyboy1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 03:17:26 PM PST

•  Lou Brock! (1+ / 0-)
        dannyboy1

Despite his great career with the Cards, my personal memory of Lou Brock is from his time with those same Cubbies you ignored.

In June of '62, Brock's rookie year and the Amazin' Mets inaugural season, my brother and I attended a lot of Mets games, always sitting in the same section of the bleachers. One Sunday (research now reveals it was June 17) we were going to attend a double header with the Cubs in town. My father offered to spare us the difficult subway trip from the east side of the Bronx with a ride in his car to the Polo Grounds.

As time to leave for the game(s) drew near my father was running somewhat late, casually remarking that it was a double header, after all, and we'd get to see plenty of baseball that day.

You might imagine how it pained us when we got to our seats, in the bottom of the second, only to learn that Lou Brock had led off the game with only the then third home run ever hit into those distant Polo Grounds bleachers!

Brock joined Babe Ruth and, of all people, Joe Adcock in having performed the feat (Hank Aaron did it for the fourth, and last, time the very next day).

The ball landed right in the neighborhood where we sat, and the elderly black man who'd retrieved it was definitely showing it off when we got there!

War beats down, and sows with salt, the hearts and minds of soldiers." Brecht

by DaNang65 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:10:10 PM PST

•  I have many Wrigley memories (1+ / 0-)
          DaNang65

(many involving Cub losses of course). Got to see Willie Mays as a Giant and Met (his last year). His strikeout swing and miss and little ground ball were about as exciting as anything on one day--never saw anyone swing so hard. Saw Roberto Clemente throw someone out at home from deep right field and still swear to this day that it was a line drive throw that never bounced. The Cubs were not too shabby, really, with Santo, Beckert, Banks, Kessinger, Williams, Jenkins, Hundley. A couple of Hall of Famers there, too.

by dannyboy1 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 03:24:49 PM PST