View Diary: Christie lane closure aide says he'll talk, but only in exchange for immunity (136 comments)

•  You want immunity? (13+ / 0-)

OK, here's your flu shot. Now get back in your cell.

•  Exactly! (5+ / 0-)

Work up a nice charge sheet, then see what kind of deal he's willing to cut--nothing less than a plea bargain that include some clinker time for this jackass.

•  I disagree... (20+ / 0-)

This is a case of political thuggery at the highest levels.  Punishing this relatively low level player would serve no real purpose since he was just doing what he was told.  Yes, this was corruption but I think it is far more beneficial to the people of New Jersey and the people of the USA to know about the thuggery in the highest levels of the Christie administration.

Frankly, I think the evidence against Christie is pretty damning already, but since he is still doing quite well in the polls it seems to me that it will take a true smoking gun to enlighten the people of NJ.

Christie is charming and charismatic to many people and the last time the Republican party had a charming charismatic leader they decimated the American middle class.  (Ronald Reagan)

Again, this case is about Christie and also about the modern Republican party.  It is not about Wildstein.

•  Hard to believe basic common sense isn't (9+ / 0-)

kicking in for people and they don't realize that something like this just Would Not Happen if it hadn't been cleared at the highest levels.  People believe what they want to believe, though, and a lot of people want to believe Christie isn't a lying, vindictive sack of shit, I guess.

•  Ya know.... (13+ / 0-)
        Christie is charming and charismatic to many people....
        Chris Christie and Ronald Reagan....charming and charismatic????  Not to me. And, in retrospect, not to a whole lotta people.
        I find Christie reprehensible....always did, waaaaaaay before this bridge-gate thing.  He is so definitely the complete opposite of what charming and charismatic mean to me.  Bombastic, liar, blowhard, SOB, POS, jackass, mean-spirited, bully, manipulative, greedy....these are the words that come to mind when I think of Christie.
        And Reagan?  There aren't polite words to describe him.  Oh, wait, third rate actor, who reached his zenith hosting 'Death Valley Days'.

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose....AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 10:13:43 AM PST

•  No. Reagan was charming and affable and funny.... (5+ / 0-)
          akovia, Aunt Pat, JerryNA, sethtriggs, HCKAD

.....and ruinous to the nation. That's the point the commentor is making. Christie has NONE of the charm of Reagan, but he does have something people like better these days: shock value. He appears to call a spade a spade (he isn't ACTUALLY doing that -- he just appears to be doing that by talking like a guy standing around a BBQ all the time).

I've learned that it is VERY important to give the devil his due. Otherwise, he will just take it and more. Reagan was beloved.  Deal with it. Christie WAS JUST REELECTED in a blue state. He is charming (or at least entertaining) someone.

If you hate government, don't run for office in that government.

by Bensdad on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 10:28:24 AM PST

•  I find him charming and charismatic (3+ / 0-)
            Louise, JerryNA, sethtriggs

He is a vindictive, ruthless bully.  But he is also charismatic and immensely politically skilled.

•  "Chris Christie" is a marketing tool (6+ / 0-)

His public persona was probably developed by his chief political strategist through focus groups of disaffected New Jersey voters. The real man is indeed a vindictive bully. See Chris Hedges' and Greg Palast's work.

There are videos and recorded tapes of the real Christie, who emerges in meeting with people like the Kochs and in his member-only "Town Halls." That's when the actual Christie drops the facade.

They say "cut back" - we say "fight back"!

by Louise on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 10:59:50 AM PST

•  Hmmmm.... (1+ / 0-)
              indie17
              I find him charming and charismatic
              I don't.
              I find him thoroughly repugnant.
              He IS politically skilled, but he is also a mean-spirited, vindictive, bullying, ruthless thug.

by Lilyvt on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 11:26:04 AM PST

•  I couldn't stand Reagan (1+ / 0-)
                Bensdad

But "charisma" is by majority vote. Many many people found Reagan likeable. Therefore, I must conclude he was likeable, even though I hated him.

•  Perhaps.... (0+ / 0-)

But, just because a lot of people I don't know find someone I detested, likeable, doesn't necessarily mean that person IS likeable.  Just means a lot of people think differently.
                  Some sociopaths are found likeable, doesn't mean they are.  Just means they fooled a lot of people.

by Lilyvt on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 12:48:59 PM PST

•  Ummmm.... (1+ / 0-)
            Eyesbright

Charming, affable, funny????  Reagan?  Maybe in some circles.  Reagan was a befuddled old man who was manipulated by master craftsmen to do their will. Beloved?  Perhaps to old goppers who fondly recall the grand good ol' halcyon Iran Contra power days of the 80's.  Before we realized their policies brought ruination.
            Christie is a thug.  Always was, always will be.  He was just re-elected, but it is NJ and, as has just been shown with this bridge-gate thing, his henchmen will do extreme things.  In addition, Barbara Buono was all but dis-owned by the state's dems.
            Charming, affable, funny, beloved, entertaining pols are just words which depends on your perspective.  They are none of these if your life has been ruined by their lethal, disastrous governments.

by Lilyvt on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 11:20:55 AM PST

•  Okay. Fine. (0+ / 0-)

Don't give the devil his due and see what happens: he gets elected. Complacency and failing to see what others like about a thug or a criminal or a B-grade actor frontman is what leads to these people getting elected.

If you hate government, don't run for office in that government.

by Bensdad on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:13:41 PM PST

•  Hmmmm.... (0+ / 0-)

NOT giving the devil his due doesn't get a candidate elected.
                Neither does recognizing that a carefully crafted (albeit totally false) image to make a disagreeable, bullying, decrepit candidate appear likable to many voters.
                Knowing that these candidates are spending huge amounts of money to make people like them while also knowing these people are dangerous (some even say sociopaths) and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near governance, doesn't get them elected.  Folks who always vote the straight party ticket or willfully ignorant folks or willfully stupid folks or just plain low-information folks with a bias against the other candidate and probably not much time on their hands to study the candidates rationally (because they're working 2/3/4 jobs to keep their heads above water) as well as 24/7 marketing, marketing, marketing and a huge media blitz towards folks fears and prejudices is what get these people elected.  Follow the money.
                We knew what these thugs, criminals or the Z-grade actor were capable of, history taught us that.  We also knew full well what lengths they went to to make people like them.  We tried like hell to get people to vote, to get people interested, to get people involved.  There was a torrent of money spent to present these candidates as something they weren't.  Focus groups went into overdrive finding out what people wanted/liked/needed and then the thug, criminal and Z-grade actor were groomed to seem to be all these things to a frightened and gullible electorate.  That's what got them elected.  Follow the money.
                Sometimes giving the devil his due is exactly what the devil wants, makes it that much easier to twist it to mean something quite different than what had been originally intended.

by Lilyvt on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 06:29:37 AM PST

•  "Chris Christie" is a marketing tool (3+ / 0-)
          kaminpdx, a2nite, ahumbleopinion

His chief strategist probably ran focus groups to find out what voters most wanted in their politicians. "Chris Christie" is designed to reflect those qualities. Christie said it himself in his press conference: his entire career has been "spent building a reputation for fairness and honesty and blunt talk."

His speeches are also focus-grouped.  "Christie" is designed to take advantage of the fact that there is a winning majority of voters in the center of the polls: Independents, Liberal Republicans, and Conservative Democrats. It comes to about 65%. You should note that he won his landslide reflection by about that percentage.

I'll say one thing for him. Like Reagan, he is a consummate actor.

They say "cut back" - we say "fight back"!

by Louise on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 10:48:33 AM PST

•  If you don't think Reagan had charm, you're lying (2+ / 0-)
          JerryNA, Eyesbright

to yourself.

The Devil is always charming.

"See? I'm not a racist! I have a black friend!"

by TheHalfrican on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 11:31:54 AM PST

•  you r right, let this guy go if (2+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat, indie17

he can give up information that can help clean out the whole rat nest.

Please don't piss all over my shoes and tell me it is raining. I know better. And you're getting my shoes wet.

by kaminpdx on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 10:25:27 AM PST

•  THANK YOU. It's like a drug investigation. FLIP EM (1+ / 0-)
        a2nite

Haven't any of ya'll seen The Wire? :p

Let's just hope Christie doesn't get the Aryan Brotherhood to shank him in the chow line first.

"See? I'm not a racist! I have a black friend!"

by TheHalfrican on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 11:30:49 AM PST

•  well, Dean requested immunity, (0+ / 0-)

didn't get it, and spilled everything anyway, if I'm not mistaken.  Didn't he give up Nixon and Mitchell without having immunity?

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance, but to overcome it" - Dr. Lawrence Krauss

by AlyoshaKaramazov on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 12:10:39 PM PST