View Diary: N-word used by public employee - to get a copy of a birth certificate (176 comments)

•  I'd be interested to see a follow up (12+ / 0-)

While I understand the confusion people are bringing up, I am troubled by the fact that I can totally see this type of thing happening in current America.

•  I can too (5+ / 0-)

but the fact is, there's just not enough info here for this thing to make any sense.

There's enough of it going on for real. I don't think it's much to ask that we not just throw up a diary which would ping peoples' outrage, unless we have all the facts.

We clearly do not, so I'd suggest pulling the diary until we do.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:06:28 PM PST

•  So you are saying it is not true? (1+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright

I don't get what you are saying.

"I think 2008 is going to be a good year." Senator Barack Obama - Des Moines, Iowa, January 1st, 2008

by PoconoPCDoctor on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:08:44 PM PST

•  Diary Police? (2+ / 0-)
        Lying eyes, Eyesbright

Not being flippant, but what don't you understand?

by PoconoPCDoctor on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:18:06 PM PST

•  The missing pieces of your diary (6+ / 0-)

text. You obviously left a whole block of time out. The only thing which remains is a lot of innuendo.

And yes, "diary police" is another phrase for "community moderation".

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:23:44 PM PST

•  Which block of time (0+ / 0-)

are you referring to?

•  there are a couple here... (4+ / 0-)
              "Do you have a bank account?" ...  At this time another heavy-set white woman enters the office and said "Go and get your bank statement while I work on getting his birth certificate." I said "here is my checkbook with my address on it."  She looked at and said "Oh we don't have this bank here." I asked, “what banks do you have here?”  She told me and I drove 25 minutes to the bank and retrieved my bank statements with my address on it as they requested and returned.
              Rennert summed this up nicely upthread:
              She showed her checkbook, they said "we don't have this bank here", so she asked what banks they have and went to that bank to get her statement? What? Was it her bank or not? Something doesn't make sense.

Then it goes from "she returned from the bank", and all of a sudden, everyone's leaving the office and throwing the N word around!!

What happened while she was gone? We have nothing from the son.

The heavy-set woman walked into the police area and came out with an officer -  another police officer comes behind me with his hand on his gun.

I never got his birth certificate.

On my way out with my head down, I looked up at the officer and asked him “Why?” My son said, “mom let's go!”  I looked back at the woman at the desk and she said, “you people seem so threatening, these niggers must think we are stupid!”

Do better. Please. Particularly in light of the references to Christie downthread.

Seriously, didn't that guy fuck up enough already?

If we're going to generate outrage, let's do it with something confirmable.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 01:35:32 PM PST

•  Facebook posts aren't generally (5+ / 0-)

intended for publication which could explain a lot of the holes in the story as presented.

•  If the woman gave permission (0+ / 0-)

to have her post shared on a blog, then it was up to her to get the story right.

I'm imagining it being worked on, though, and being furiously updated, even as we nitpick it to death. Because we're all so helpful that way....

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 02:15:48 PM PST

•  If 'this woman' is not familiar with DKos (6+ / 0-)

cut her some slack for not understanding the standard that is required.

I'm not really understanding why you are coming down on the diarist so incredibly hard.

•  She's not the real problem here (0+ / 0-)

The real problem here is this post from a diarist with a fairly low UID, who damned well ought to know the standard that is required by now.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 02:27:59 PM PST

•  I have been away from DK for a while (0+ / 0-)

So if the standard is that no diary can be published until it vetted, cross-checked, and triple-sourced for facts before publishing, I am guilty.  This was my personal reaction to what happened to a person with a fairly routine request for records.

by PoconoPCDoctor on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 05:51:25 PM PST

•  Have you learned nothing from the comments? (0+ / 0-)

Really?

This is NOT a "fairly routine request for records". This is a request for records when the person making that request didn't come with the verification documents she needed.

Someone who appears to have had a chip on her shoulder from the start - for example, when she was told that since she didn't have address and personal verification that sufficed, she objected to being told what she could provide that would be sufficient proof.

She got escorted out of the building due to her attitude.

Could someone in that office THEN called her the N word? Of course.

And that would be bad, no matter HOW badly she behaved.

But you haven't seemed to acknowledge any of the holes/time gaps in the story, nor have you updated your diary to mention any of them.

•  Wow. (0+ / 0-)

You sure do seem to have ALL the answers at this point. Amazing.

The author has said multiple times when we could expect an update and it is Sunday at the earliest.

•  Yeah, no update (0+ / 0-)

And why is that?

I'd bet a goodly sum of money that it's because he can't update this diary without acknowledging that the portrait that the woman painted about what happened wasn't accurate and that the conclusions he leapt to weren't sustainable, given the info.

I'd bet that she was told over the phone that, in general, bringing a couple of types of verification of identity would suffice. The person who gave her that info probably did NOT explain all the caveats - like, if you haven't updated your drivers license like you should have, so that it shows the address you actually live at instead of an address you no longer live at, then you'll have to provide ADDITIONAL proof of residence.

So, when she got there, and she had brought what she HOPED would be sufficient proof, she was told that it wasn't sufficient, and she got all huffy about it. Her attitude shines thru with her commentary that she posted on Facebook.

And, as I've repeatedly said, if she got called the N word, that was wrong, no matter how badly she had acted in the meantime.

But if they made her go get more proof of identity and address, they were, almost certainly, simply doing their jobs, and there's no reason to go after them because they were doing their jobs!

And there's no evidence that it was simply her trying to get her son's birth certificate that caused them to treat her badly - it almost certainly was the way that she behaved that made them escort her out of the building, and NOT the color of her skin or the request she was making.

And that's the problem with this diary - the allegation that she was called the N word simply due to asking for a copy of a birth certificate.

Again, if she was called the N word, it was wrong, no matter what she had done or how badly she had behaved. But that doesn't make this diary with the suggestions included an accurate representation of what actually happened.

Don't color me surprised that there's been no update from the diarist backing up his assertions in this diary.

•  Not sure if she ever heard of DK (5+ / 0-)

I asked her yesterday for permission to post this on DK.  She just agreed today.

by PoconoPCDoctor on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 02:46:52 PM PST

•  I'm really disappointed by the tone some (7+ / 0-)

have taken with this. Instead of asking for more information they have inferred that your source is a liar and you are a fool for believing.

Kudos to you for asking people several times what more information they would like to see.

•  That's not what I am reading (3+ / 0-)

What I am getting is that this is a potentially explosive story that so far has holes in it that are not being filled.

I read the Diary and was not surprised to encounter comments asking for various parts to be clarified.

There may be a deep injustice here (there frequently is), but as it stands it is a Diary that I would be a little wary of.

It's incomplete.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
                      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 03:21:26 PM PST

•  This is a potentially explosive story (4+ / 0-)
                        kishik, poco, Eyesbright, Youffraita

and rather than welcome it with reservation and ask for more information, some have been incredibly insulting and rude.

The source is someone the diarist clearly respects. Why she would want to share more of her story with this community given this thread, I have no idea.

•  Exactly (2+ / 0-)
                          lunachickie, Calamity Jean
                          This is a potentially explosive story (0+ / 0-)
                          ... and it doesn't make a lot of sense as told.

If you think

some have been incredibly insulting and rude.
                          ...then you haven't been here through a primary cycle.
                          •  This isn't a political race. (5+ / 0-)

It is the very personal story of a person who may be a victim of hate. A person who may have agreed to share her story with us because she was led to believe that this is a community that cares.

I said at the start that I understood the confusion. It is one thing to call the diary incomplete, however, and another to infer that its author is a fool and his source a liar.

•  Oh for God's sake! (2+ / 0-)
                          twigg, Calamity Jean

This diarist has been asked for more information several times. The holes in the story were pointed out several times. And all the diarist had to say was "what facts do you need?"

Seriously? They've got a UID in the low 100 k's and they have no idea what's missing, even after it's been pointed out to them? Specifically?

This "diary" has been up for several hours now and it's been on the REC LIST. And yet there's no update anywhere, filling in the obvious gaps.

Oh, Prunella, save me from all these meanies!

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 04:37:00 PM PST

•  It's called a job (1+ / 0-)
                            geekydee

I work at a really busy IT department in NYC.  I am lucky if I have the chance to check on a diary when I post it on my lunch hour.  I see now from your comment that the diary has been recommended.  That's nice, and I do appreciate it, but I wrote it out of outrage that the same things seem to happen over and over again if you happen to be African-American - this - now in the sixth year of our first African-American's presidency.

I am home now in our apartment in Staten Island, but will soon be driving 90 miles to the Poconos.

I will try to answer comments as I can, while I am here, before heading West on route 80.

Thank you to all Kossacks for the recommendations.  I do appreciate them.

by PoconoPCDoctor on Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 05:40:15 PM PST

•  What facts would you need? n/t (2+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright, Youffraita