View Diary: Mom of FL teen bullied to death announces proposed law to make bullying a crime (32 comments)

•  maybe K thru 3rd grade (0+ / 0-)

By the time a kid reaches 6th or 7th grade I don't think teachers are in charge of teaching civility.  The die has been cast...and it was cast at home.

The person upthread wasn't merely suggesting that teachers monitor classroom behavior, but that schools should somehow be in the loop of what is going on with bullying on social media, etc.

If I am a kid being bullied online...who should I go to with that problem?  My parents?  Or the Vice Principle?  That activity has absolutely nothing to do with the educational system.  School is meant to impart knowledge and skills, not provide social intervention between kids that don't like each other.  Unless it happens during classroom activities, and proves to be a disruption.

At best, if a school notices that a student has behavior/aggression issues, they should absolutely notify the parents and ask them to do something about it.  Somewhere along the line, we have moved from that POV to one where all too many parents simply reply back to the school:  "Handle it...it's part of your job.  What do you expect ME to do about it?  I'm busy."

L'enfer, c'est les autres....Jean-Paul Sartre

by Keith930 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 10:37:17 AM PST

•  To hell with detentions or sending a kid (0+ / 0-)

to the Principle's office...that just get's him/her out of class for awhile, which they probably see as no punishment at all.

Send them home.

When a parent has to deal with those issues, in the form of having to supervise their own offspring and possibly juggle work schedules in order to do so, it has a way of putting some parental skin in the game, instead of just leaving it up to "the system."

L'enfer, c'est les autres....Jean-Paul Sartre

by Keith930 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 10:40:40 AM PST

•  A lot of these kids learned the bullying behavior (1+ / 0-)
        gramofsam1

from their parents.  And you expect the parents to deal with it in a way that will put a stop to it?

•  That's really the larger point- (0+ / 0-)

putting a stop to it. And IMO it takes a village to make that happen, and that village includes teachers and school authorities.

•  and damned few others besides the school (0+ / 0-)

or so it seems.

L'enfer, c'est les autres....Jean-Paul Sartre

by Keith930 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 10:48:49 AM PST

•  Ideally it includes all relevant adults- (0+ / 0-)

but in a situation where the parents don't cooperate, I can't imagine why a teacher would not want to step up and help a kid in trouble.  No one should say "it's not my job".

•  But teachers' powers are limited. (0+ / 0-)

If a kid is getting bullied on Facebook outside of school hours, there's not a lot that the teacher can do about it except let the bullies' parents know (presuming that the teacher knows the bullies' parents at all).

The teacher can't punish the bullies for something they do outside of school, and certainly can't take away the bullies' computers, phones, etc. outside of school to stop them from doing it.

The bullies' parents, on the other hand, can do all of those things. If they're not cooperative, the teachers' hands are tied.

So for bullying happening outside of school hours and outside the school, I'm not sure why the teachers or even school administrators should be held responsible for it, when they don't have the power to do anything about it.

by JamesGG on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 11:27:14 AM PST

•  You're talking about punitive measures- (0+ / 0-)

and you're right teachers can't do the things you mention.

I'm talking about what teachers can do, the culture they can try to create, the relationship they can try to create with their students. I've seen it work in my high school, in the inner city elementary school where my daughter taught, and in the class of ED middle school kids my son taught.

I'm not suggesting liability, although other people are. I am suggesting that teachers do have an opportunity to help kids be good citizens. I think most teachers welcome that opportunity.

•  Or, if there are laws against it, (0+ / 0-)

like there may be in Florida if this law is passed, a teacher can notify the authorities.

•  no..only parents reserve that right for themselves (0+ / 0-)

all other parties get left holding the bag.

L'enfer, c'est les autres....Jean-Paul Sartre

by Keith930 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 12:20:34 PM PST

•  and you expect the school to succeed where parents (0+ / 0-)

have failed miserably?  And absolve them of their responsibility?  You even expect the school to be liable for it?

L'enfer, c'est les autres....Jean-Paul Sartre

by Keith930 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 10:48:04 AM PST

•  I expect MY child to be taught (0+ / 0-)

Math, History, English, Science...and to get attention and instruction from the teachers at school.  Not lose class time while said teacher is dealing with problem kids who are chronically problem kids.

What's the old saying?  80% of your problems come from 20% of a group?  On some level...the other 80% that aren't problems are getting shortchanged here.

But it would be stygmitizing to put all of the bad apples into one crate, wouldn't it?  Might seriously bruise their egos, and cause the parents who don't give a damn anyway to show up at school with a bad attitude, a loud mouth and liquor on their breath.

Wouldn't want that.

L'enfer, c'est les autres....Jean-Paul Sartre

by Keith930 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 10:57:50 AM PST

•  So you think it was right for the school (0+ / 0-)

administration in the case cited in this diary to just ignore the reports of bullying.

If the bullying is happening at school, then yes, absolutely the school should be held liable for it if they fail to do anything about it.  Why is that such an offensive idea to you?

•  Not what I suggested at all. (0+ / 0-)

The article says the bullying was reported to the school administration, who promptly ignored it. i.e., no notification of the parents of the children doing the bullying.

Why shouldn't there be potential jail time for the administrators in that scenario?

•  I wasn't talking about K thru 3rd- (0+ / 0-)

although ideally it should start there. I was talking about my high school. Our teachers did consider it part of their job to help us be good citizens of the world by teaching us to support each other and have each others' backs. In that culture, kindness was cool, meanness was the opposite of cool.

There was one girl in my class who had a thyroid condition and resulting weight problems- and this was in an era when overweight teen girls were very uncommon. If anyone ever said anything nasty to her or about her, I never heard it. And anyone who did behave that way would have been considered a jerk.