View Diary: Mayor Zimmer Replies to Christie Salvos on CNN (UPDATED!) (256 comments)

•  OMG. (16+ / 0-)

Jabba the Gov.  I love it.

I know, it's not the substance of your comment, or this diary.  There's way more material here that's more important.  And I know there's been controversy here about the jokes about the Gov's.... girth.  I take their points.  I could stand to drop quite a few myself.  I was in a while back getting some new "dress clothes" and the salesdude and I were joking about what he delicately termed my "prosperity".   And my mother constantly struggles with her weight, and it's a metabolic thing.

But still.... Some people get their nicknames the old-fashioned way: they earn them*.

(*and of course, the Jabba character's girth is only one of his many ... endearing qualities.  It's uncanny how many of those other qualities the Gov and Jabba share, which is what makes this nickname particularly apt.)

"A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence agst. foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home." - James Madison

by gharlane on Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 01:50:04 PM PST

•  maybe (1+ / 0-)
      Aunt Pat

jabba the gutless?

Obama's actions make a lot more sense if you discard the idea that he is brilliant in all fields

by GideonAB on Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 03:55:51 PM PST

•  Thanks for understanding the term (8+ / 0-)

I first used it when he fired Bridget Kelly, and the comparison was too obvious to ignore.  I carry a few extra pounds too, and didn't mean it as a fat joke per se.  The carnivorous oppression of the people under him was my main point.

Glad you like it.  Maybe it'll catch on.

We have always been at war with al Qaeda.

by Dallasdoc on Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 07:11:28 PM PST

•  I'll use it. (2+ / 0-)
        avsp, Dallasdoc

and if anyone kvetches about it I'll direct them to this comment thread :)

It's right up there with "the Gropenfuhrer" as applied to the former governor of My Fair State (props to Steve Lopez of the LA Times for coining, and to Garry Trudeau for viralizing that one).

btw your sig is one of my all-time faves...

by gharlane on Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 12:25:30 AM PST

•  Thanks again (2+ / 0-)
          avsp, gharlane

I don't know how many people get the 1984 allusion.

We have always been at war with al Qaeda.

by Dallasdoc on Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 07:00:32 AM PST

•  It's been a while since some of us read that book (1+ / 0-)
            Dallasdoc

So it's not the first thing we think of when we see those words.

For example, last week a co-worker made a comment about "bench W". It took me a moment to recognize the song he was alluding to, & blubber out a comment in response about "baby-rapists & mother-killers".

After all, ya gotta have morals & ethics to do some stuff.

•  heh. First thing I thought of. (1+ / 0-)
            Dallasdoc

I just assumed everyone "got it".  Oh well...

And you know something?  I never even read the book.  And I don't think I could take reading it now.  I have it, but I could never bear to open it.  Too depressing, and too.... familiar.

2014 is the new 1984.  Sad.

by gharlane on Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 04:58:11 PM PST