View Diary: Byzantium on the Hudson (141 comments)

•  I am getting kind of tired (7+ / 0-)

of having to read your ot comments. Just write a diary about how you feel about Obama and Holden instead of hijacking the comment threads of every diary I've been reading these last couple of days.

•  You make me sad, so very, very, very sad (0+ / 0-)

Did I hurt your special fee fees?

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 05:24:52 AM PST

•  No, but the comment I responded to was (1+ / 0-)
          mkor7

Stop being partisan and you'll see the world in a whole new light. This site is not about defending Obama from his many, many, many failings. Anyone who disagrees is invited to start their own blog. And my comment absolutely was on topic as Holder clearly knew about this sort of corruption years ago (unless your defense of him is that he's an incompetent moron--is it?), yet did nothing about it, obviously for political reasons. He runs a profoundly incompetent and quite likely corrupt DoJ and is just bidding his time before returning to the private sector with an extra zero in his income.

OT = criticizing Obama only in certain peoples' minds.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 05:37:53 AM PST

•  My opinion is that saying the US AG (7+ / 0-)

should be aware of and prosecute all corruption in every state government is asking a bit much.

Yes, NJ is famously corrupt. It was when Lyndon Johnson was President. Therefore, by your logic, every President and Attorney General of the last 50 years is a failure.

I'm on a mission! http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1233352/51142428#c520 Testing the new site rules.

by blue aardvark on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 05:44:39 AM PST

•  That's his freaking JOB, among others (3+ / 0-)
              mkor7, VincaMajor, JVolvo

I can't tell you how bored I am with this "You don't actually expect them to do their jobs (while slumming it doing government work in-between 6, 7 and 8-figure private sector jobs), do you?" nonsense. I don't expect 100% success. I do expect 100% effort. Stop with this partisan defending. It's embarrassing.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 05:47:00 AM PST

•  Then everyone's a failure (7+ / 0-)

Every single one of them.

I am aware I have a pro-Obama bias.

My estimate is that your anti-Obama bias is quite a bit larger in magnitude. An endemic problem that has existed since his birth is something that he and Holder should have cleaned up through some unspecified process - as though corruption cases are easy to make without cooperation from local authorities?

Give me a break, since you obviously won't give Obama one. You are being quite absurd.

by blue aardvark on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 06:28:34 AM PST

•  So, basically, your entire argument is based on: (2+ / 0-)
                  happymisanthropy, Kombema

1 - Since they can't do everything, they can't do anything

2 - I hate Obama, therefore my points are invalid

Why am I not surprised by such logical brilliance?

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 06:40:35 AM PST

•  Also, NJ is hardly some bayou backwater (0+ / 0-)

It's one of the most populous and advanced states in the country with a huge and complex economy based on pharmaceuticals, refining, chemicals, finance and development, all of which are in need of massive regulation for reasons too obvious to need explaining. And Holder comes from and has worked most of his life right across the Hudson, so he's hardly a newbie to its ways. The idea that he couldn't possibly have known or suspected what was going on is beyond absurd, as is the suggesting that he was powerless to do anything about it. As with his criminally complicit refusal to prosecute Wall St., he chose to look the other way for obviously political and personal reasons, with his boss's approval. And folks like you are enabling such corruption and cowardice.

Nice.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 06:45:06 AM PST

•  When the century-old corruption of New Jersey is (3+ / 0-)

despaired of even by its residents, overcoming it will be hard work. It is far too soon to say that Holder and the DOJ will fail here.

Also, as a former New Yorker, trust me - the Hudson is a bigger barrier than most appreciate unless they have lived in the NY/NJ area. Proximity doesn't mean familiarity - NYC at seven million is more than enough to hold the attention of most of its residents.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 07:09:53 AM PST

•  As a near-lifelong and current New Yorker (3+ / 0-)
                      happymisanthropy, VincaMajor, JVolvo

who grew up, went to school and has lived and worked in NYC, while I agree that NJ is different from NY, it's not THAT different, with many industries and issues spanning the Hudson. And a crossing or two IIRC. All of which Holder is familiar with and many of which he's worked on. He heads the dept that used to employ Christie, many of whose former colleagues still work there, so it's not like he has the excuse of disconnection. I'd be willing to overlook past oversights if this investigation is done right. But based on his unconscionable refusal to go after Wall St., I'm not hopeful. At best, he's an incompetent buffoon when it comes to prosecuting actual major crimes.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 08:31:59 AM PST

•  It's hard (1+ / 0-)
                      JVolvo

so don't try.

Politics means controlling the balance of economic and institutional power. Everything else is naming post offices.

by happymisanthropy on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 09:20:19 AM PST

•  actually... /nt (0+ / 0-)

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
              I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
              —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 08:56:50 AM PST

•  Did I hurt yours? (2+ / 0-)
        Wee Mama, Dvalkure

I don't litter Obama bashing diaries with my unwelcome comments. I would appreciate if you could extend the courtesy to people who don't share your opinions.

•  I should be "considerate" to people (1+ / 0-)
          JVolvo

who approve of Obama's performance by not voicing my criticisms of it? How do you people call yourself liberals with the soft authoritarianism?

Disagree with my remarks, but don't reject them because they sadden you.

"Reagan's dead, and he was a lousy president" -- Keith Olbermann 4/22/09

by kovie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 09:21:15 AM PST

•  Not impressed by this. Au contraire. (0+ / 0-)

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 11:25:23 AM PST

•  as we know, diaries are posted (1+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy

so that ONLY those who agree with the diarist may comment in support.

don't always believe what you think

by claude on Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 05:43:47 AM PST

•  Then don't read them. (2+ / 0-)
      samanthab, Kombema

If you already know that you're not going to like a specific poster's comments, simply skip them.  I do it pretty frequently with certain posters.  And you only add to a 'hijack' when you respond to a comment you consider a 'hijack'.  If no one would respond to 'hijack's, they'd be single comments, not humongous chunks of the comment threads.