View Diary: An End to the Ordeal of the Texas Woman Kept on Life Support Because She Was Pregnant (184 comments)

•  The hospital pushing to maintain life support... (25+ / 0-)

cynically has me wondering how much their stake in this was financial. A patient in her state must be running up tremendous hospital bills.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. -- John Kenneth Galbraith

by richardak on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 03:14:44 PM PST

•  I said it before and I'll say it again (12+ / 0-)

if I was that hospital "administrator", I was bucking that disgusting law the day that woman was declared dead. Off life support she would come, and then when she passed, I'd sit back and dare that state to sue.

Dare them.

God, this whole situation was just so completely designed to enrage, starting with the indecency of this hospital to "enforce" this creepy, disgusting law. Every last person directly involved who isn't this woman's family--and even her family, in dispute with the husband? WTF? So they should treat their daughter like an incubator because they're pissed at HIM?--they are all abominable excuses for human beings.

Abominable.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 03:32:26 PM PST

•  I think you have confused Ms. Munoz with (16+ / 0-)

Ms. Schiavo.

Terry Schiavo's parents wanted to keep her alive; Ms. Munoz's family agree with her husband.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." - George Carlin

by Most Awesome Nana on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 04:06:26 PM PST

•  I hope so! (2+ / 0-)

I think I misread another comment upthread that mentioned Schiavo--I hadn't heard that Ms. Munoz' family was fighting her husband, and I'd been following this somewhat closely.

Thanks for the heads-up!

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 04:13:37 PM PST

•  This was also her choice as well. (2+ / 0-)
          mamamedusa, Most Awesome Nana

As I recall she was a ER nurse while he is/was a paramedic (I could have misremembered this slightly), their mutual decision was if they were dead they were dead, no resus etc after a certain point.
          I can understand their reasoning for it, and if their families had seen what they did I wouldn't be surprised if they wholeheartedly agreed. Both my mother and grandmother were nurses and I know they're on the same wavelength as the couple (I got reminded in September in fact), I do not enjoy dealing with the rest of the family when my grandmother finally passes it'll be 5 of us versus 20 potentially despite her wishes.

•  Always a bad time. Very difficult subject to (0+ / 0-)

discuss and even harder for everyone to agree. I am sure your grandmother has made her wishes clear, but people have blinders when it comes to end of life decisions.

We really should be honoring an individual's wishes, whether we agree or not.

by Most Awesome Nana on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 09:58:14 AM PST

•  In our case it's made complex by the others (1+ / 0-)
              Most Awesome Nana

religion amongst other things. And it wouldn't be the first time they've ignored the wishes of a deceased family member (my great great grandmother and 3 great grandmother were all still alive when I was 8 years old when the GGGM finally passed), they didn't even bury one of my great grandmothers as requested (she'd paid off her funeral years before including a plot), they cremated her in 1994.
              Yes respecting the wishes of the dead is something that should usually be the case, but as a organ donor I know that the wishes of those surviving you matter more than any prior directive from the deceased. And that here at least all the directives of a will can be contested.

I really feel sorry for this family, this hell was completely unnecessary, and having to see her like that would torment anyone who loved her.

•  The State of Texas should stay out of this. (0+ / 0-)

I am appalled that the law could be interpreted to mean a dead body must be kept on support for a fetus. Inconceivable.

That poor family must be in agony. At least they aren't fighting among themselves as to what should be done.

I hope your family can bring themselves to honor your Grandmother's wishes and give everyone some peace.

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 07:44:06 AM PST

•  She was also a paramedic (0+ / 0-)

Studying to become a nurse eventually. It was their experiences as EMTs that led them to have discussions about how they would want to treated in such circumstances.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 12:04:31 PM PST

•  Thanks (1+ / 0-)
              Catte Nappe

I knew they'd had discussions due to what they'd seen and he was an EMT, wasn't sure where she was as a medical professional as I tend to read late at night so I don't get interrupted by my kids, as a side effect my memory isn't always so certain.

•  Absolutely (1+ / 0-)
        iopele

have it right concerning the hospital administrator, though you have it wrong about the family. As a hospital administrator you do the right thing for the patient/family and dare the state to sue. If the hospital is determined, in a case like this, the hospital would definitely win. No question. That hospital: cowards and a shame to their profession.

•  No (18+ / 0-)

The medical professionals did not seek out this 'opportunity". The hospital board is stacked with ideologues who are not profit driven when it comes to this issue. And the hospital is likely to end up eating most of the cost, so there was no money to be made anyway.

by Catte Nappe on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 03:42:32 PM PST

•  I agree with both of you (5+ / 0-)

the additional money to be made was "gravy" to them. Money is money and they're not going to turn it down. You just know some ass on that board said "Hey, the fiscal health of the hospital outweighs the family's wishes".

At the same time, you know it was "ideological", though there's no logic to it. Control freaks, all of them. Hypocritical control freaks hiding behind the Bible.

At best, that hospital was cowardly.

This all started with "what the Republicans did to language".

by lunachickie on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 03:51:06 PM PST

•  They may just be covering their butts. (0+ / 0-)

Their counsel probably instructed them not to terminate

"Forever is composed of nows." Emily Dickinson