View Diary: President Obama signs off on shooting 3 Endangered Species (64 comments)

•  I've heard of but never taken an interest in the (1+ / 0-)
    ER Doc

exotics down in Texas. I guess at least one species lives outside of the fences over a wide territory. I forget their names as soon as I hear them.

I realize that elk and moose are also very recent arrivals in N America but I just have no interest in a species from another country brought here specifically to hunt. Maybe if they grew where I lived I'd have a different opinion.

“Conservation… is a positive exercise of skill and insight, not merely a negative exercise of abstinence and caution…” Aldo Leopold

by ban nock on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 09:07:01 AM PST

•  You're probably thinking about the axis deer (4+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1, ban nock, ER Doc, KenBee
      Distribution in Texas. Native to India, where it is known as the "chital," the axis deer was introduced into Texas about 1932. In 1988, free-ranging herds were established in 27 counties of central and southern Texas. At this time, it also occurs as a confined animal on ranches in 67 other counties. Axis deer are the most abundant exotic ungulate in Texas.
      link

"I'm a progressive man and I like progressive people" Peter Tosh

by Texas Lefty on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 09:36:44 AM PST

•  ban nock: then like me I think you'd be for (3+ / 0-)
      ban nock, ER Doc, grover

liberalizing the rules for feral hog hunting (tho to be fair Texas has some of the least-restrictive such regs now).

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 12:06:48 PM PST

•  Hogs are a huge problem everywhere they occur (3+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1, ER Doc, grover

from what I've heard.

by ban nock on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 12:59:17 PM PST

•  invasive ferals, yep. (3+ / 0-)
          ER Doc, grover, ban nock

That's TPWD's take on it. Here's TAMU's: http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/

and much as I'm not an Aggie fan (Rick Perry is one of their famous alums, and Robert Gates went from being head of their school to SecDef) they're right about this.

Ferals destroy habitat, decimate wildlife, and spread disease.

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 01:34:55 PM PST

•  From everything I understand, (1+ / 0-)
          ban nock

feral pigs are a huge problem pretty much everywhere they exist.

Not only that, but from the sounds of it, it seems that folks who hunt them and folks who live in areas overrun by feral pigs really should have pretty substantial firepower.

Generally, I'm not a dedicated RKBA person. But those animals are huge, incredibly dangerous, cause massive amounts of damage (to native flora, fauna, humans, crops, etc) and are  dang near impossible to take down.

Forget about semi-automatic guns; if someone needs an RPG to defend themselves from a feral pig, ATF should probably consider limited licenses.

I've read they have Russian Wild Boar DNA. That's pretty crazy. They don't belong here,are still spreading, and need to be eradicated.