View Diary: If "Gun's Don't Kill People"... (109 comments)

•  I didn't call them sin taxes (4+ / 0-)

I called them targeted taxes. And you can come up with a 100 more examples. They do more than discourage use of a product or behavior. As I said, they also pay for the damage caused by those products or behaviors.

A far more progressive tax system is definitely something I agree with, but I don't see what progressive taxation on income has to do with targeted taxation. Its not one or the other, or mutually exclusive. We can have a progressive tax system on income as well as targeted taxes.

KOS: "Mocking partisans focusing on elections? Even less reason to be on Daily Kos."

by fcvaguy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 08:31:44 PM PST

•  I'm not arguing against sin taxes (4+ / 0-)

or targeted taxation.  I'm arguing against the dumb idea of linking revenue for a valuable program to a tax that by its very nature aims to diminish its own revenue base.

•  You never answered my questions. (5+ / 0-)

Here, let me put them up again:

I must've missed that in the proposal. (1+ / 0-)
      They were subsidizing firearm sales for self protection? Ammo? Straight out giving away free firearms with government money?

How is the Hartford experiment subsidizing the proliferation of firearms?

And yes, I can see how your targeted taxes work for your main purpose: reducing the legal usage and ownership of firearms.
      •  That would be correct (1+ / 0-)
        coquiero

Reducing ownership as well as paying for the damage guns cause.

by fcvaguy on Fri Jan 24, 2014 at 08:55:12 PM PST

•  You still didn't answer my ?s on subsidizing. nt (6+ / 0-)
          •  Your question (2+ / 0-)
            KVoimakas, coquiero

you asked that question in response to this comment from me to rduran:

curious how
            you see an analogy between minimum income and subsidizing the proliferation of guns?
            I wanted to better understand his analogy between minimudm income and the funding of the cost of the Hartford program. I confused matters by thinking he was talking about  "subsidizing the proliferation of guns".  He graciously explained his point even though I don't agree with it.

by fcvaguy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 03:16:57 AM PST

•  So elitist of you... (4+ / 0-)

So, gun control isn't about saving lives, its about denying people their rights, ESPECIALLY the poor.

Only the rich in your world will be armed!

Not in mine.

I'd rather that our society evolve beyond the need for weapons but since our government has made it perfectly clear they have no duty to protect anyone, anywhere, at any time...we'll never get there.

by gerrilea on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 04:10:37 AM PST

•  why do you need to resort to insults? (4+ / 0-)

And why do you need to put words in my mouth?

This is what makes any kind of reasonable dialogue with some of you in RKBA impossible.

by fcvaguy on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 05:22:37 AM PST

•  Take responsibility for the consequences of (6+ / 0-)

your position. Pointing out those consequences cannot be construed as an insult but a point of fact.

You wish to add a sin tax to limit/deny people from exercising a right.  You then claim this is a "progressive" ideal.

I never signed up to abrogate the rights of my fellow Americans, or limit them to only those whom can afford it.

by gerrilea on Sat Jan 25, 2014 at 05:34:47 AM PST

•  If the consequences of my position (1+ / 0-)
                coquiero

are you insulting and waging personal attacks, then I would say thats not my problem, but yours, and your inability to communicate in a civil way. So, your questions, whether sincere or not, will have to be left hanging in the breeze.

Try following the rules like the rest of us have to.

by fcvaguy on Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 05:29:42 AM PST

•  The consequences of your position is that the poor (0+ / 0-)

will be denied rights.  There is nothing "civil" about that, nor is it a progressive value, as you claimed.

I have not violated any rules here, sir.

by gerrilea on Mon Jan 27, 2014 at 01:42:34 PM PST

•  what is the insult? pointing out the results of (1+ / 0-)
              Shamash

your "targeted" tax......nothing at all like a poll tax though is it.....

Pointing out that you have proposed a regressive sin tax is not an insult,when you proposed a regressive sin tax.

Vaya con Dios Don Alejo
              I want to die a slave to principles. Not to men.
              Emiliano Zapata