View Diary: Testimony of Pete Seeger before the House Un-American Activities Committee, August 18, 1955 (146 comments)

•  In our time, the NSA doesn't ask. It just tracks. (35+ / 0-)
    I feel that is improper: to ask about my associations and opinions.
    That's what's disturbing about the pro-NSA position, isn't it? Doesn't it take contortions and distortions for someone to admire Pete Seeger but despise Edward Snowden? What kind of person is okay with a "new normal" where all associations and opinions are already known to the government and no one can be a Pete Seeger and refuse or resist?

"Oh, I don't mind revealing all my associations and opinions to the House Un-American Activities Committee. I have nothing to hide." Is this any kind of stand for Democrats to take?

The Dutch kids' chorus Kinderen voor Kinderen wishes all the world's children freedom from hunger, ignorance, and war. ♥ ♥ ♥ Forget Neo — The One is Minori Urakawa

by lotlizard on Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 08:38:56 AM PST

•  And in 20 years it will not just track but (7+ / 0-)

imprison and 20 years beyond that it will kill on whim.

And I am Kilrain of the 20th Maine. And I damn all gentlemen. Whose only worth is their father's name And the sweat of a workin' man Steve Earle - Dixieland

by shigeru on Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 10:15:06 AM PST

•  Unless we stop them. n/t (2+ / 0-)
        BOHICA, Tonedevil

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. ~The Druid.
        ~Ideals aren't goals, they're navigation aids.~

by FarWestGirl on Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 12:31:20 PM PST

•  The president already orders killings, (11+ / 0-)

including those of American citizens, without trial, legal proceedings, or the nicety of a declaration of war.

Imagine what any Republican president would do with that power.  Imagine what Reagan would have done to Mandela if Hellfire shooting drones had existed in the 1980s. Imagine Rand Paul, Paul Ryan or Ted Cruz with drones and the power to kill whoever they deemed an enemy at their fingertips.

Wrong is wrong, regardless of who does it. That's the principle of "a nation of laws" rather than "a nation of men."

20 years and 20 years beyond that is here today.

The NSA tracks everyone and anyone in order to find that 'one' they want today:  The one the drone will open fire upon.

And tomorrow, who will it be? Who will be "an enemy of the state?"  Pete Seeger? Nelson Mandela?  Who will be a "terrorist" tomorrow?

20 years from now and 20 years beyond that is here today.

by YucatanMan on Tue Jan 28, 2014 at 12:35:58 PM PST

•  Pete Seeger stood up and spoke his beliefs. (4+ / 0-)

And he did it in Washington DC.

I don't despise Snowden, and I'm glad the NSA secrets were brought into the light of day.

But one does not have to be "pro-NSA" to wish Snowden had shown one-tenth of the strength, courage, and fortitude that Seeger did.

•  I agree to a point... (2+ / 0-)
        BOHICA, JBL55

... but let's not say it as a criticism of Snowden. Let's say it to ourselves: We should all be striving to be like Pete. Very few of us have gotten there.

Let us all have the strength to see the humanity in our enemies, and the courage to let them see the humanity in ourselves.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 04:30:19 AM PST

•  Why do you wish Snowden was in jail? (5+ / 0-)
        BOHICA, maryabein, HiKa, mkor7, lotlizard

What possible purpose would it have served for him to do 20-30 years in the American Gulag?

Would you know one more bit about the crimes of the NSA if he were the subject of a "trial" in which cries of State Secrecy denied him any chance to defend himself?

I neither understand nor respect masochists by proxy.

"I read New republic and Nation/I've learned to take every view.." P. Ochs

by JesseCW on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 05:35:13 AM PST

•  I neither understand nor respect drama queens. (0+ / 0-)
          ... the American Gulag ...  a "trial" in which cries of State Secrecy denied him any chance to defend himself ...  masochists by proxy
          Your response, like that of many of Snowden's defenders, shows a lack of understanding about the nature of civil disobedience.

If one commits an act of civil disobedience, one should be willing to pay the price.  Pete Seeger was such a one, as was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and many others who broke the law and were willing to go to prison in order to make a larger point.

Those who are not willing are not entitled to respect, because they show neither respect for the rule of law nor an understanding of the breath-taking changes in society that can happen when one person stands up for bad laws and bad policies.

And pre-judging the outcome of legal proceedings on the basis of fear and prejudice is immeasurably contrary to the principles on which the rule of law is based.

•  Most of those pretending to hold Seeger (3+ / 0-)
      BOHICA, mkor7, lotlizard

in high esteem have no problem at all with the fact that his politics, if expressed here clearly, would have instantly resulted in his banning.

"I read New republic and Nation/I've learned to take every view.." P. Ochs

• Science (28)
  • Republicans (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Barack Obama (24)
  • Education (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Law (21)
  • Economy (19)
  • Congress (17)
  • Labor (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site