View Diary: Should Edward Snowden get the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize? (226 comments)

•  And I'd like to introduce you (12+ / 0-)

to Barrett Brown!

And maybe a few Occupy protesters.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
    but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 07:09:15 AM PST

•  Go right ahead. And you can meet one, too. (2+ / 0-)
      blueyedace2, ord avg guy

You find me a single Occupy participant who left the movement because of this alleged violent crackdown.  In the meantime, you can meet Max Bean.

One of them, Max Bean, a talkative New York City teacher given to the sorts of in-depth cultural analyses you might expect of a Brown graduate, which he is, says he spent 12 to 15 hours a day, seven days a week, doing work for the movement last fall. This winter he sent a letter to about 60 other occupiers announcing his departure. A few days after the Midtown meeting, he locked up his bike and sat down on the steps of Union Square to talk about his reasons for dropping out.

He was initially drawn to movement, he said, when he saw a few people having a heated discussion about OWS right there on the steps of Union Square, and came to the conclusion that the movement could help people like these really listen to each other, something he hadn’t seen very often in the streets of New York. In the park, “we were trying to build a different kind of culture,” he said. “It was a dysfunctional community, it was a fucking mess, but I think that was a worthwhile and interesting goal.” After the park was cleared out, many activists shifted their energies to conventional protest tactics like rallies and sit-ins. “If you want to be very focused and organized, then those tactics might make sense,” he said, “but we weren’t any of those things.”

You know, in my town, Occupy had a room reserved for the weekly meeting at the public library.

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 07:20:35 AM PST

•  Doubtless Scott Olsen (10+ / 0-)

would appreciate such a tolerant society.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 07:22:34 AM PST

•  Still looking for that nationwide crackdown. (1+ / 0-)
          ord avg guy

That, it would seem to me, is the difference between police abuse in specific cases and a police state.  Wouldn't you agree?

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 07:31:28 AM PST

•  No, I don't agree (6+ / 0-)

mainly because I don't see a concerted effort to crack down on the "police abuse".

If anything, the abuses are spreading and the local police forces are being steadily militarized.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
            but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 07:33:51 AM PST

•  You might want to ask Scott Olsen about that. (1+ / 0-)
              ord avg guy

Now that he's settled his suit with the City of Oakland

and forty four Oakland police officers have been disciplined for treatment of Occupy protesters

And no, I'm not even going to ask about "militarized".  I know it's the wearing of scary looking helmets and body armor.  If that's being militarized, then every hocky goalie is an enlisted man.

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:24:32 AM PST

•  What about all of those... (3+ / 0-)
                Kombema, TheMomCat, PhilJD

armored vehicles of which we've been seeing more and more?

Those are perfectly normal, I suppose.

by DeadHead on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:34:03 AM PST

•  As always, blame the GOP. The armor is needed (2+ / 0-)
                  DeadHead, TheMomCat

as protection against potholes because the tea-monsters won't appropriate funds for road repair.

America may be crumbling into despair and despotism, but it's all so much simpler when you know without thinking whose fault it is.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 12:59:21 PM PST

•  I've never seen one. (0+ / 0-)

I spend a lot of time living in the real world, going about my business, and I've never seen one deployed.

Well, I take that back.  I saw them in Chile in 1986.

So I suspect they aren't perfectly normal in the US.

Not that rolling one out after a terror attack doesn't stop people from stating that "this is what a police state looks like".  As if death and mayhem from bombs means that the cops should assume that there's nothing to be scared of.  After all, the only scary things in the world are the police state we imagine.

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 02:43:54 PM PST

•  Good for you. (4+ / 0-)

Your view of the world is the only one that counts, of course.

Meanwhile, the ALCU thinks there might be a problem.

I'll take their word over yours any day of the week.

by DeadHead on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 03:46:32 PM PST

•  Heh. (0+ / 0-)
                      What about all of those... (3+ / 0-)

armored vehicles of which we've been seeing more and more

Silly me. I thought that when you say "we've been seeing more and more", you might have actually seen, you know, one.

Because when you go off with this sort of tiff:

Deny it all you want, but your incessant trolling of these diaries, trying to convince people they aren't seeing what they're seeing, is irritating as fuck
                      I'd assume that you wouldn't quickly admit that, in fact, you're not seeing it either.

Well, whatever.  I'm sure the ACLU thinks you're the peaches, too.

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 04:04:48 PM PST

•  You go right ahead and play semantic games. (1+ / 0-)
                        TheMomCat

Meanwhile, the rest of the world will pretend you really are smart enough to recognize the word "we" being used in the collective sense, and cut you a little slack. Everyone has a bad day once in awhile.

I have seen a bunch of these up close, by the way.

While they were being welded, assembled, and driven around on a test track, in fact.

by DeadHead on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:11:20 PM PST

•  ON A TEST TRACK! (0+ / 0-)

I'm sure you thought "this is what a police state's test track looks like".

Oh.

Link for all the stuff you never saw yourself?

The dossier on my DKos activities during the Bush administration will be presented on February 3, 2014.

by Inland on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 03:16:36 PM PST

•  So the govt cracks down on Occupy & you blame (14+ / 0-)

Occupy for being ineffective.

Wow.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 07:32:53 AM PST

•  Go argue with Occupy's previous participants. (1+ / 0-)
          ord avg guy

I haven't heard about a single protester who blamed "government crackdown" on Occupy losing steam.

On the other hand, I quote Occupy participants themselves about how Occupy lost steam.

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 08:07:59 AM PST

•  You don't know squat about Occupy, then. (5+ / 0-)

I'm sure you think Bloomberg's handling of Occupy and the media was restrained and Constitutional.

"Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

by Kombema on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 12:43:51 PM PST

•  I'll rely on people you have to admit know squat. (0+ / 0-)

Have you found anyone who left Occupy because of this supposed crackdown?  Got a name?

I'll give you until 10:00 a.m. CST to find one.

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 02:40:44 PM PST

•  Gee, let's go track down the exit poll results. (2+ / 0-)
                Dallasdoc, TheMomCat

I'm sure one was conducted, and that your demand for proof will be met well-before your imposed deadline.

by DeadHead on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 04:01:27 PM PST

•  Or use the google, like I did to find the Occupy (0+ / 0-)

vets who left for other reasons.

I found the quote from Max in ten seconds.  And it wasn't even the article I was looking for.  There are better ones.

You have til Monday.   Better get busy.

Christie: "I'm going to find the real bullies!"

by Inland on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 04:07:30 PM PST

•  You're confused (2+ / 0-)
                    TheMomCat, Kombema

You're recklessly imposing the same deadline on the different people for different reasons.

You also appear to have the challenger-challenged thing reversed.

Where's your links from Google?

I'm surprised you haven't learned how to post one in a comment yet. You've been here since 2005. There really isn't any excuse, Inland.

by DeadHead on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:20:27 PM PST

•  I know people personally who were intimidated by (0+ / 0-)

Bloomberg's Gestapo tactics, and who chose to avoid mass arrest for peaceful First Amendment protests. You're being either obtuse or disingenuous here.

by Kombema on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 06:59:46 PM PST

•  it's classic 'blame the victim' stuff Inland's (4+ / 0-)
          DeadHead, Kombema, TheMomCat, Dallasdoc

spouting here...

"Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are." ~St Augustine "When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." ~Charles Beard

by poligirl on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:08:43 AM PST

•  & Roger Schuler who remains in prison (7+ / 0-)

for his blogging. Yes, Roger may be paranoid, but Alabama Republicans in power really are out to get him.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 07:27:48 AM PST

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site