View Diary: Kansas Woman dies in custody over pot, Austerity and the 8th Amendment (18 comments)

•  Yes and no (8+ / 0-)

In this case, I could understand them saying 'wait until we find out..'  A week goes by and she still hasn't taken meds?  Phone calls or assessments could quickly have fixed that.  A pharmacist could have helped.

There is  difference between saying 'she missed a dose' and saying 'she missed several days worth'.

All of these were options, provided that the jails had the right staffing, even if it just means someone to make phone calls to her doctors.  Or, aside from that, someone to get her to the hospital in a timely fashion rather then worry about getting another guard onsite because the jail is understaffed due to Brownback's budget cuts.

Gandhi's Seven Sins: Wealth without work; Pleasure without conscience; Knowledge without character; Commerce without morality; Science without humanity; Worship without sacrifice; Politics without principle

by Chris Reeves on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:39:09 AM PST

•  I hear you (2+ / 0-)
      lina, HeyMikey

and I don't want to nit pick the point too much

However,

It wasn't a week, it was a few days.  She was arrested Jan 20th and died on Jan 22- a few days later according to this article.  That's two days, tops.  Also, her brother says her illness weren't life threatening. If that's the case, why would she die from not taking her pills?

She was vomiting on Tuesday and was taken to the emergency room that night when she started throwing up blood, but was sent back to the jail an hour later. - That's not the jail, that was the hospital.

I am a fomer LEO who started off in the jail.  Too often people blame the jail officers for something that was beyond their control. I suspect that, when it all comes out, there was something else going on here, something unrelated to the pills or her illness.

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu

by dawgflyer13 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:53:49 AM PST

•  There had to be something else (4+ / 0-)

You do not die if you do not take medication for any of her ailments.  If they were treating the Hep c with ribivarin and pegelated interfereon it is not a good idea to skep but it is not fatal,  If she was vomiting blood something else was going on.

•  I don't think anyone is blaming LEO.. (1+ / 0-)
        ColoTim

I think LEO is put into an unbelievable position thanks to Austerity, which is why I brought it up as the diary title.   States like Kansas, Arizona, Florida have continuously cut funding to prisons and jails, meaning they have less resources.

It's doubtful that she died thanks to missing these drugs.  And you're right on 3 days.   That said, this isn't really teh point of the diary to debate a single person's death.

It is to highlight the fact that when needed, it's hard to get services because of lack of resources.   From all accounts, part of why her transport took a while was to make sure the facility was covered (had enough personell on hand) in order to arrange it.  This is in part thanks to staffing cutbacks statewide thanks to a 15% cut to the Department of Corrections in our state.

Part of the reason many of these things happen - and were prevented in the past is that with the right amount of funding and adequate staff you can catch obscure problems before they become serious.

It's also why, as I point out, you have increasing problems with communicable illness, failure to treat illness, etc.   The lack of staff, funding and resources makes all of those things far more likely and make the entire facility far less humane.

Her death is a tragedy, and I'm sure we'll find out a lot of other things were going on.   But her odds of survival - no matter what the situation - would have been better had the facilities had the resources that governors like Brownback stripped of them.

by Chris Reeves on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:16:26 AM PST

•  I blame law enforcement. What is a state trooper (7+ / 0-)

doing searching a car which is pulled over for speeding.

Write the speeding ticket and let these citizens continue on their way.

There is no reason for further action on the part of the state trooper. None.

Even less due to austerity -- they need to be out there patrolling the rest of the highways, instead of spending a huge amount of time on two women who may have been guilty of speeding (anyone been to western Kansas lately?).

There are many abusive ways in which law enforcement obtains "permission" or "cause" to search vehicles. But the key word is abusive.

This was an abuse of power at the beginning ... and all the way through.

by YucatanMan on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:22:27 AM PST

•  With the legalization in Colorado, apparently all (4+ / 0-)
            YucatanMan, RMForbes, OHdog, ladybug53

border states have beefed up patrols looking for anyone they can pull over and check for pot possession.  It would be much better to have national legalization, but even then I'd bet there would be an effort made to arrest "pot heads" in spite of any legal possession.

•  I'm sure that is true. However, speeding is not (3+ / 0-)
              OHdog, ladybug53, Calamity Jean

justification for a search.  Either probable cause or consent must exist. He was going too far from the start. The search was stepping over the line. Everything that follows from that is abuse resulting from abuse.

YMMV.

by YucatanMan on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 02:01:35 PM PST

•  There was likely more. (4+ / 0-)
                ColoTim, lina, tmservo433, YucatanMan

Betcha the trooper's report says something about odor of marijuana, red eyes, strange speech, acting nervous when subject of drugs was raised, etc. It may all be lies, but there's no way to prove that.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 02:25:50 PM PST

•  And that's just the point - police abuse of power (3+ / 0-)

has reached so far into our lives that they can do virtually anything to us. Are you familiar with civil forfeiture?

I'm sure the report says something. But what happened should not have happened. Never.  But it does every day, all over the country.

by YucatanMan on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 06:21:42 PM PST