View Diary: Can Antioxidants be Bad for You? (117 comments)

•  Viral infections that can sometimes be handled (1+ / 0-)
    Carol in San Antonio

with other natural substances like Beta Glucans and Olive Leaf Extract or Elderberry Extract.

These all suppress viral activity and even prevent the spread of virus from cell to cell in some cases.

I suspect that different antioxidants will have different actions depending upon the condition, age, etc.,

Sometimes they seem to support the immune system while the patient is getting treatment, more than anything. Because when the immunity is lowered one is susceptible to more and more viruses either becoming active in the body or newly infecting the body for the first time.

I would like to see more work on antineoplastons.

Everything we know about paw paw extract, it seems odd to me why that hasn't been looked at, as a bath for tumors instead of chemo-baths, knowing what it does to tumors and their blood supplies, or even sour-sop.

But you know those cannot be patented because they are natural substances, which is good, because that means people can afford them, but bad because our For Profit medical industry will pick expensive poison every time over anything like that for the sake of money.

Gentlemen, congratulations. You're everything we've come to expect from years of government training (Zed, MIB).

by GreenMother on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 06:37:34 AM PST

•  if you honestly believe that elderberry extract (1+ / 0-)
      slouchsock

is going to prevent, or even more extraordinarily, cure a retroviral infection, then feel free to take it. try not to be too disappointed when your herpes flares, though.

and with respect to virally-induced cancer, it had better prevent, because once you've got cells whose genomic DNA has been modified by the virus, it's no longer a matter of curing the viral infection, it's a matter of killing the cancer cells.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 08:04:30 AM PST

•  I have used elderberry extract for years to (4+ / 0-)

prevent the flu. I have had the flu one time in 13 years of using that. I highly recommend it. I also buy jr preparations for the kids. And there are infant preparations too.

If you honestly believe that it can't work just because you don't know about it, then that says more about you than me.

My advice if you decide to try it is stick with a brand that has a good reputation that uses a standardized extract.

Also wait til you see what taking a teaspoon of raw local honey will do for your allergies. Amazing stuff. And you can experiment. When you stop taking it, the effect wears off. So you can go on and off as many times as you need to convince yourself that it is indeed working.

by GreenMother on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 12:53:50 PM PST

•  i'm not talking about the flu. (0+ / 0-)

i'm talking about retroviruses.

To put the torture behind us is, inevitably, to put it in front of us.

by UntimelyRippd on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 01:04:57 PM PST

•  You mean like AIDs? (0+ / 0-)

Are we now going to argue about the "differences" between macro and micro evolution?

I was talking about viruses, Though some people might use this as a complimentary treatment for a suppressed immune system to stave off regular viral infections or activity.

I don't have HIV-AIDs, so while I see that pop up in literature, I don't see anything claiming to cure it out right. But I have found a variety of materials used to prevent the flu, the cold (things as simple as zinc lozenges) and cold sores/ herpes.

by GreenMother on Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 07:43:13 AM PST

•  antineoplastons? (1+ / 0-)
      raoul78

as in Burzynski?

Bryz. has had~60 trials on antinoplastons going on for 16 years and yet he's failed to publish any results. You might want to read this article

•  Did you see the people who testified to congress (1+ / 0-)
        Carol in San Antonio

that his treatments cured them of brain cancer and other conditions.

by GreenMother on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 01:00:48 PM PST

•  pathos (1+ / 0-)
          raoul78

No, I didn't see them and I don't intend to watch. I've seen numerous examples of cancer patients being used to play our heart strings--I can be one of them when I choose--and I'm not going to fall for what I call the "pathos gambit."
           The seriousness of a person's medical situation does not equate to an understanding of the causes of those experiences, it only speaks to Burz. ability to put on a good production.

If B. has something valuable, why hasn't he published his studies? Could be because he makes millions off of  experimental drugs and treatments  without having to demonstrate that the drugs work. Or that the drugs the patients get are what he says they are.

If you'd like to get a more critical understanding of the B. story, read some of the 30+ blog entries here.

•  Oh, I see. (0+ / 0-)

So it's okay to side with the government that tried to steal his research and botched it, but it's not okay to listen to the testimony of people who say this man helped them overcome conditions like brain cancer.

I doubt we will ever see eye to eye on much in the  medical field. I have been using supplements and herbal products since I was a child. My family uses them too. Some home made, some store bought. I have one relative who works in the alternative health care industry. I have experiences and observations that would probably upset you greatly.

I looked in to Burzynski as a possible treatment option, however I don't have 2000 dollars a pop for a treatment. I found something else to use in the mean time. It looked to me as if the main group of people who had benefited from his treatment were people with brain cancer. That's great, but that isn't what I am dealing with.

Skepticism gone wrong is a bad as total gullibility. I am grateful on a daily basis to my parents for introducing me to alternative healthcare. Hard core drugs are a last resort and for a lot of good reasons.

When you can gently bring a body back into balance with nutrition, you can have longer lasting results, that don't necessarily harm other systems in the body.

by GreenMother on Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 07:39:01 AM PST