View Diary: Millions to go uninsured ... to spite Obama? (403 comments)

•  But the HARSH TRUTH is some people simply (20+ / 0-)

cannot afford it, and so they continue to gamble.

Because the penalty is still cheaper than paying for it.

People on minimum wage, and even those on double minimum wage, are HURTING!

Separation of Church and State AND Corporation

by Einsteinia on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 02:22:55 PM PST

•  People on minimum wage (36+ / 0-)

make little enough money that their ACA policies will be completely covered by the subsidy. So no excuse.  The ones who are really in deep shit are the people in states where the Medicare expansion has been refused. They are indeed out of luck.

But they won't have to pay a penalty.

•  Some though (13+ / 0-)

who are married and one is on medicare already so not applying and the other who is has to go by the total income. If the household income is over the amount, then you don't get a subsidy, if you smoke ANY AMOUNT, even 2-3 cigs a days there goes your subsidy and your premium increased again 50% more. They said to me, better I was a daily drunk I guess, that would ok

Now if that couple who currently support or give shelter and help 3 family members to retrain skills, one to college, one elderly, who have lost everything, then the choice can come down to, stay at risk, pay the fine and help family.

I know this family, they help three family members who lost all when shit hit the fan. They keep trying to help the one college family member stay in college and the other to retrain for new skills that may help them regain independence, for another year or two.

So, I know you didn't mean there are no exceptions to it's your choice and not a bright one, but sometimes you gotta stand up to help those who are trying to regain some traction, due to this national crisis to no fault of their own.

Just wanted to make people aware there are all kinds of potential reasons.

I know though and don't discount those very ones you write about, they are there is large numbers, I have crossed paths with too many..and that is sad.

recced and tipped!  Thanks for this diary!

•  It goes by who you claim on your taxes. (6+ / 0-)

If you file separately they figure out the insurance subsidy separately. That's why my other half has insurance and I don't. I always claimed the kids, and they're on medicaid. He files separately because he gets SSI, and I was the one working. If we filed together we'd all be below poverty level and everyone would be screwed. If he claimed the kids ditto. But I claimed the kids when I applied, so he can't claim them again anyway.  So, if the family members are adults and file taxes separately, then that's how they need to apply for the ACA.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 02:59:16 PM PST

•  They do (4+ / 0-)
            FloridaSNMOM, Joieau, VPofKarma, annecros

The husband and wife have for all their years filed jointly as married. The one retraining they are helping lives there but files separately, so that income isn't included.  They have one elderly parent they try to provide the exp[enses of his living, since he is only getting 700 a month after a life of working minimum wage... He is way old but still agile and there is no room in the modest home to even have him stay so he lives in one of their houses they had intended to rent for retirement.

But it was helpful thinking on your part and I thank you for that, for them.  We too  have all racked our heads and hunted for ways he could get the security of insurance but right now it just can't be done. So he opted for written instructions and a non transport to a hospital and no resusitation direction to his spouse just in case. He fully understand his wife would have hardship and he would be looked down on for sucking off the system, if something drastic occurred.

Very kind of you to try to help them find a solution! FloridaSNMom!

•  I'm pretty much in the same boat (9+ / 0-)

so I thought I'd try. Without medicaid expansion in Florida I'm SOL also, with several chronic medical conditions I'm not getting proper treatment for. I hate to see anyone else go through it too.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 04:08:38 PM PST

•  My world as well. (1+ / 0-)
                FloridaSNMOM

Zero income, as my wife and I have opposite shifts caring for my father, who suffers from CHF, ESRD and dementia. I get day shift and also have to sit with him during his dialysis treatment, lest he rip the needles from his arm. Again.

Meanwhile, my state "is studying" mediaid expansion and setting up insurance exchanges, may Corbett's dick fall off.

Add in that we both smoke, I was quoted something nice like $500/month!
                We've been turned down, with no explanation, for medicaid.

Want to know the truth? I retired from the reserve, after 27 years, 8 months. I was contracting for the DoD overseas after I had retired. I was making really good money.
                I declined a renewal of my contract when I learned that my father had become a frequent flier at the local ED with his CHF.
                So, I returned home to care for him.
                The truth is, I'm sorry that I returned to this failed nation! Even Arabs are more civilized on their worst day than many US citizens are on their best day. I enjoyed full national healthcare there, with excellent doctors from around the globe.
                Here, I can't get a fucking asprin.

•  This failed nation (0+ / 0-)

I, too, am sorry I did not leave permanently when I had the opportunity.  I allowed my emotions to get the better of me - even though I KNEW I was making a mistake.  Yes, I'm glad I now have insurance and my so-called bullshit pre-existing condition can no longer deny me access to health insurance.

But why should I or anyone else CELEBRATE THAT?  Oh, is it not wonderful that our nation finally entered the 20th century?  But not entirely.  It just would not do to make the fruits of our nation's labor freely available to one and all.

The fact that $35 billion(+) of public funds is budgeted to the NIH for medical research [and unknown hundreds of millions by states to their state universities] does not justify allowing the public to benefit.

The image of what the USofA once was is what our power-mongers insist is who it still is.

I no longer live in your failed Commonwealth - thankfully.  But something tells me Corbett's dick fell of years ago, which is what has made him so mean-spirited.

"The French have no word for entrepreneur!" G. W. Bush

by bbuudd on Sun Feb 02, 2014 at 11:27:52 AM PST

•  So Much to do (1+ / 0-)
              annecros

I think there is still some fine-tuning that needs to be done to the whole thing. I'm seeing friends who are getting let out because they can't afford regular insurance but do not qualify for a subsidy because they are single. So we're still seeing people being left in the side-lines. For me it's worked out well. We qualify for the expanded medicaid (almost didn't ...Ohio was a hold out for a while). With me supporting a 17 yo still in high school, a 19 year old in college and now my oldest has moved back in as well. I myself get VA health care...but that leaves out the kids (youngest still covered...for now).

But I hate seeing my friends who are getting left behind. A friend in Florida...no expanded medicaid and she has a disabled husband. They have very little income. What does she do?
              Friend in Chicago...no subsidies and cost is more than she can afford with the cost of living there.

Something has to be tweaked somewhere to provide the coverage to those who are falling through the cracks.

•  It is because of Republican Governors (0+ / 0-)

Most of the Republican Governors and Legislatures opted out of Medicaid, which means if your income is too low, you are supposed to go die somewhere (or go to another country or state where they do give health care to everyone).

•  agreed (3+ / 0-)
          mmacdDE, Dburn, thornycuddles

Friend has been struggling to pay the rent, not insured, work intermittent. Not quite at great subsidy level, but even with subsidy it's several hundred more dollars out the door each month that wasn't going out before, and hard to find. Yes, that's better than catastrophe costs, but... still hard to find. For self-employed (meaning does 1099 work when available) it's hard to calculate the annual income for subsidy or not. It's feast or famine, you know?

It's not like he wouldn't sign up if it were anything like some of the deals people are getting, but in SoCal the costs are WAY higher than in other areas. So it ain't chump change. At well past 50 yrs. it's not as much of a no-brainer to come up with the $$.

Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that would be one step toward obtaining it. --Henry David Thoreau

by pam on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 08:57:52 PM PST

•  You meant Medicaid, not Medicare.... (8+ / 0-)

...I think.  But your point is valid.  I live right next door to Texas.  New Mexico took the ACA Medicaid expansion. Texas didn't, and so hundreds of thousands of Texans suffer for it.  Just across the state line, New Mexico is already healthier.

Join Essa in a revolt against the gods. Continue the fight, Causality.

by rbird on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 03:07:53 PM PST

•  Have's and Have Nots (5+ / 0-)
          Sue B, rbird, PinHole, wayneonly, thornycuddles

Its a shame Texas don't vote for politicians that work for the people

Same is Wisconsin with Walker and the Tea Party

•  a bunch of us - former Texans.. (2+ / 0-)
            wayneonly, rbird

support the group that is organizing to turn TX blue, Battleground Texas http://www.battlegroundtexas.com/

The current effort will remove the shame, as well as the depression. The solution is to get active! It is energizing.

Battleground Texas is a highly skilled, energetic group with experienced leadership. They are working to make sure that Dems in every district register and turn out. They support Wendy Davis for Governor and local Dems who are candidates at the state and national levels. Their goal is to turn TX blue, and I'm sure they will. Nothing beats face to face organizing - not even Koch money.

"There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

by fhcec on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 12:13:14 PM PST

•  not medicare (1+ / 0-)
        Einsteinia

Medicaid.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 03:16:46 PM PST

•  so what (3+ / 0-)
        angel d, annecros, thornycuddles

Many persons are ineligible for subsidizes and still have no affordable insurance available.

don't drone me, bro

by BradMajors on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 07:21:04 PM PST

•  Sorry but untrue in Texas (0+ / 0-)

It is impossible to get medicaid subsidies in Texas. Try signing up as a Texas resident. It really sucks bad.

•  my congresswoman does nothing (1+ / 0-)
      Einsteinia

to help the people in her district living in tough circumstances.  This story in my local paper. CMR encourages people in this willfulness.

..."For beauty," I replied. "And I for truth,-the two are one; We brethren are"... E. Dickinson

by peagreen on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 02:59:18 PM PST

•  The deductable for my son will be thousands... (4+ / 0-)

How is this even legal?  That's not health care, that's business winning.

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. Crowfoot

by Catkin on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 04:48:05 PM PST

•  one thing to pay attention to are things that (2+ / 0-)
        Catkin, thornycuddles

do not apply toward the deductable. i believe many more plans now include free visits for preventive care or a certain number of free visits. also tests, diagnostics etc may be covered or greatly reduced ,completely separate from deductable. i was surprised, even with my crappy old insurance with a 10,000 dollar deductable, that there were some things in there that allowed for  routine care with little expense.
        dont know for sure on the new policies, but especially if your son is young and healthy the higher deductible plan will be beneficial..and lets hope it all improves..
        i got bumped over to medicaid, thank goodness my  GOP state did expand it though there are glitches.
        they are using completely different income levels, so i am right at the top of their eligibility while still being way below the fed marketplace level.
        the state counts all of my gross receipts as income . in other words even the sales tax i collect for them  and pass on to them when i sell something counts as my income. totally screwed up. so i may well find myself in some sort of  'in between' nowhere'sville as well.
        in addition ,the state says there will be no copays for 2 months and then they will begin to charge copays, but they aren't sure what those copays will be yet...

i am staying calm because it IS for the better but there is an awful lot of 'we don't know' out there.
        i just hope my state doesn't ditch the whole thing. people have been going without any kind of basic care for long stretches. it has been a crime.

•  Thanks ... (1+ / 0-)
          thornycuddles

I've been sad because the health insurance is too complicated and unfair (red state).  But change comes slowly and it is helping lots of people, just not my children and their friends (yet).  Good to know about deductibles; I appreciate your comment.

by Catkin on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 10:49:17 AM PST

•  Exactly (2+ / 0-)
      thornycuddles, annecros

why we will pay the fine. I'm on disability, my wife works full time. Insurance at work would leave us penniless each month. We couldn't wait for the ACA. After checking we found out it was as expensive as insurance at work or has a deductible that makes it worthless to us. I am covered by Medicare, my wife goes without. Our incomes are always combined leaving me with no help for prescriptions and putting her in a higher bracket for anything. One step forward, two back. We are hoping to stay healthy enough to make it to single payer, Medicare for all. Being penniless each month is not worth it to us. Something terrible happens......we file bankruptcy. They can have our underwater house.

•  I have met one of them. Her problem is that she (0+ / 0-)

is paying about 2/3 of income for housing, leaving not enough money to pay even for the cheapest policy with subsidy, even before paying for anything else like food.  This is a rather high rent area.  I suspect her best bet might be if her mother would take her and her nuclear family in in the house the mother owns.  Three and four generation housing was more common than nuclear family only housing from colonial times through World War II.  Maybe we need to go back to that to make room in our budgets for food, clothing, transportation, and healthcare.

• Recommended (147)
  • Science (27)
  • Media (26)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Law (23)
  • Labor (21)
  • Spam (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (19)
  • International (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site