View Diary: Suburban Detroit Cop cuts off restrained woman's weave (85 comments)

•  I was going to post something snarky (3+ / 0-)
    Puddytat, I give in to sin, duhban

about the horrific surveillance by Big Brother, and how that wouldn't have been a camera spying on people and making them lose their jobs just a few years ago.

But I'm losing interest in the whole silliness of calling us a police state and then walking it back with the concept of "not total".  It's just words without meaning.

The dossier on my DKos activities during the Bush administration will be presented on February 3, 2014.

by Inland on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 04:31:47 PM PST

•  I'm losing interest in people who are (4+ / 0-)
      nota bene, ozsea1, Jaimas, snoopydawg

oblivious to what's repeatedly happening around them.  Hint:  It doesn't happen overnight.  Not only losing interest but have no respect for those who can't or won't acknowledge what's happening right before their eyes.

Dallasdoc: "Snowden is the natural successor to Osama bin Laden as the most consequential person in the world, as his actions have the potential to undo those taken in response to Osama."

by gooderservice on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 04:49:03 PM PST

•  Tired of that "doesn't happen overnight" (2+ / 0-)
        I give in to sin, duhban

that gets rolled out as a proxy for the absence of "it" now.

by Inland on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 05:05:31 PM PST

•  re: it doesn't happen overnight (10+ / 0-)

"A republic, if you can keep it." That quote seems to keep coming to mind recently.

In Infinite Jest, there are many stories of recovering drunks and addicts telling stories at AA meetings. At one point, Gately observes that some of the newcomers refuse to believe that they are as bad off as the speakers, because they didn't do this or that specific thing. They don't recognize that the underlying disease is the same, even if the symptoms manifest differently.

You WANT me on that server! You NEED me on that server!

by nota bene on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 05:49:09 PM PST

•  Which would make huge sense (0+ / 0-)

if it were just a specific thing that a drunk or addict did, instead of not being a drunk or addict at all.

Or is someone going to look at the one beer I had yesterday for the week and tell me that I'm an alcoholic, or not total, or that alcoholism doesn't happen overnight, or something else totally useless and pointless except for the fun of calling me an alcoholic and using preordained ideological pigeonholes with the added boost of "can't respect you if you don't take my diagnosis?"

Because at that point, alcoholic is just a word to introduce a pie fight, with no other meaning whatsoever.

by Inland on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 06:40:57 PM PST

•  naturally, you've entirely missed the point (3+ / 0-)
            gooderservice, blueoasis, Sandino

When I have time, I'll find the full quote and post it rather than merely paraphrasing it. Anyone that's read the book should understand the metaphor, I think.

But this is off-topic and I hate threadjacks, so I'll drop it.

You WANT me on that server! You NEED me on that server!

by nota bene on Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 07:03:28 PM PST