View Diary: BREAKING: Christie Knew!! (227 comments)

•  Christie should have come clean from the start. (14+ / 0-)

That would have been his only chance (though not a good one) at survival.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 01:32:59 PM PST

•  srsly? He's far too arrogant to have done so. I (15+ / 0-)

agree that he should have...I just don't think he could have, being the bloviating bully he is.

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 01:46:53 PM PST

•  You're right, extremely unlikely that (8+ / 0-)

Christie would see it that way. He is probably still looking for ways to mitigate the damage.

Hell, McDonnell made it out of his term. Eleven days. Then 14 felony counts and possibly decades of prison time. (Though the delay on the delivery of those indictments is drawing attention.)

•  My fondest hope is that we get to see "The Perp (12+ / 0-)

Walk Of The Century" (so far) where they actually get this pos in handcuffs.

No matter, he's toasted Christpie anyway, but I want to see him lose the office he cheated, lied, and bullied his way into.

Now, there's a happy thought!  :-D

by The Marti on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 01:58:48 PM PST

•  This is NJ (and I'm not dumping—I live here and (19+ / 0-)

love it).

It's all about deals. Right now, everyone is jockeying for the inside. (And the horse racing reference is intentional.) People are going down without question. The way I see it, the Christie administration knows it is in a very weak spot; they're going to be offering all kinds of favors and using all kinds of pressure on every vulnerable player they know to make sure that the people who go down are expendable. But that pool is getting shallower by the second, especially as the people who are getting tossed work to save themselves (Wildstein, Kelly, Stepien), while others (politicians and journalists) see an appropriate opportunity for career making moves.

I hope with all my heart that there is some real housecleaning here, but again, this is NJ. Like Blagojevich in Chicago, many of the people involved here don't quite understand why this stuff is a big deal because so much of the sausage making in this region is and always has been achieved through carrot-and-stick leverage, where people on the inside cut deals with other people on the inside. They believe, because there's lots of evidence, that the way good things happen in public is by allowing people on the inside to profit from the process. The only thing they see wrong with Christie is that he was too open (or too stupid) about it, or he pushed too hard and made the wrong people mad. They don't even see how appallingly cruel and evil (let alone illegal on a federal level) it is to have made Hurricane Sandy relief funds part of that sausage making process.

And then there are the people like David Samson, who I believe is one of the real kingpins here, not Christie. Christie is his politician. A guy like Samson doesn't want the spotlight and wouldn't be good in the role, but he needs politicians. If Giuliani has done an about face, you can bet Samson is figuring out how to jettison Christie without going down. Hell, he's probably had a strategy in place for that for years.

•  Why do people put up with it? You could have (6+ / 0-)

More Zimmers & Buonos.

Having more honest government works for more people. We got rid of most of the crooks in CLE.

nosotros no somos estúpidos

by a2nite on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 03:02:34 PM PST

•  That's a great question (3+ / 0-)
                The Marti, oceanview, elwior

and I don't have a well thought out answer. It probably has to do with a long-entrenched culture and the fact that power really does tend to corrupt people.

I don't want to give the impression that NJ is mostly ethically challenged idiots. We have a lot of good people in public service (and in the state in general). But it's very densely populated, and on average there is more opportunity and wealth here, so there's possibly more temptation. As a result, it may be more difficult for the system to be fixed or to stay fixed.

•  Thank you for a thoughtful response to what must (4+ / 0-)
              Miss Blue, hyperstation, Terri, elwior

seem to be an extraordinary turn of events.

Having a passing acquaintance with old school politics, I understand the whole "entrenched, business as usual'' mentality.

But, I think times are changing.  Too many people have been too injured by "business as usual" whether it's actual business, or the business of politics.

For all our sakes, I hope a good housecleaning takes place.  It would be interesting to see Buono get another (real) shot at being Governor.

Failing that....I'll settle for seeing Christie eating platters of crow, begging for mercy.

:-D

by The Marti on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 03:31:35 PM PST

•  I don't know if Buono will get a shot (4+ / 0-)

I like Buono, and think she could be a good governor. But I worry that she was the sacrificial lamb, and with Dems in position to take back the governor's mansion, someone else will be pushed up front.

You may be right about a tipping point happening—the way Hurricane Sandy relief has been handled is opening a lot of eyes to just how callous the system and many of its participants are.

I hope so.

I'm hopeful that Christie and Guadagno go down and the Sandy Relief gets sorted out somehow.

I dream that Sweeney gets pushed aside somehow and that David Samson's career is ruined.

•  May your dreams come true...for all our sakes, but (1+ / 0-)
                  elwior

especially for those who have had to suffer through this...crap...and put up with so much, even while trying to make things better.

by The Marti on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 05:09:28 PM PST

•  Well.... (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, peregrine kate

The perp walk of the Century would have been Bush and Cheney taken off to The Hague to answer for their war crimes.
            Christie is small potatoes, a self important, bloviating, egotistical, miserably corrupt, bullying POS who (please, please, please) has been stopped in his tracks in his aspirations to higher office.
            But it would be quite the welcome spectacle watching this sh*thead jackass doing the NJ version of the perp walk.

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose....AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 05:32:05 PM PST

•  The Nixon gambit was a loser. Then and now. (3+ / 0-)
      NYFM, white blitz, elwior

Good work Gov. Christie.

I think that Republicanism is revealing itself as a personality disorder, not so much an ideology." -- Naomi Klein

by AllanTBG on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 05:00:50 PM PST