View Diary: Eco-advocates deeply unhappy with Keystone XL pipeline review. Rep. Grijalva calls it a 'sham' (79 comments)

•  Half since when? According to... (2+ / 0-)
    Eric Nelson, side pocket

...this site, the aquifer lost a total of 9% 1950-2009, accelerating to 2% 2001-2009.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 05:12:48 PM PST

•  Two links (0+ / 0-)

If you need more, I'll drill down on the EPA report from August '11 and Canadian one too.  It's what is known as ancient water (aquifer formed and then was overlaid by pretty impermeable rock strata) it's only 100 deep, we've already sucked off the top 50 and is not replenished by rainfall very easily. I live atop the dang thing and we've been in a drought since before '04.

~Arianna_Editrix-- I willingly accept Cassandra’s fate, To speak the truth, altho’ believ’d too late

by Arianna Editrix on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 05:28:55 PM PST

•  The Ogallalla formation is 1000 feet deep... (3+ / 0-)
        Eric Nelson, geez53, side pocket

...in some sections, a few feet in others. In parts, the water-saturated portion is 400 feet. I wrote about it several times in the 1970s and early '80s when concerns about this fossil water being depleted were first raised. It IS being depleted, but I have never read any study saying it has lost half its volume.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 06:11:00 PM PST

•  Sorry, dropped a zero on those for some reason (1+ / 0-)
          side pocket

And the 1000/500 depth is from a study doing overall availability as in there are X number of acre feet available.  I'm crashing through old studies trying to find it.  I have been working with this for about two years now because of the fracking and the attempt by P. to buy St. Louis water company and the farmers going broke buying water, etc.  Are you in the mid MidWest? Thanks for what you do.
          ~Ari

by Arianna Editrix on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 06:31:58 PM PST

•  No. I lived in Colorado for three decades... (1+ / 0-)
            side pocket

...and now almost three decades in California.

by Meteor Blades on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 07:09:14 PM PST

•  Ah, the drought has you now (1+ / 0-)
              PSzymeczek

I hear my MIL bitch all the time about the drought in CO, and my bff lives outside LA.  Growing up in AZ I watched as we sold our water to CA by the river full......and now the reservoirs are going dry to the bone.  I wonder what will happen when we all dry up and blow away?

by Arianna Editrix on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 09:32:10 PM PST