View Diary: 3 banksters in 6 days found dead (320 comments)

•  Matched by inappropriate HR (0+ / 0-)

how wonderful.

•  Maybe. I responded w/out HR (8+ / 0-)

to what I consider to be a heartless obnoxious and cruel stereotype of people in pain.

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 06:17:48 AM PST

•  Which is a much better way (0+ / 0-)

to respond. HRs tend to just be authoritarians lashing out when they get half an excuse. Says more about the ratings abuser than the comment.

•  I am not anti-HR (2+ / 0-)
          Smoh, AoT

but I am usually sparing with them, on all subjects except freedom of the press.

The problem with throwing HRs is that it turns everything into a meta argument.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 06:36:10 AM PST

•  are you out of your mind? (6+ / 0-)

Hannah can deny all she wants by keeping strict to the text she wrote, but how you anyone else read her comment and not interpret it as approving of suicide for a certain group of individuals?

Hide-rating that is inappropriate?

My god, you are absolutely unbelievable.

Seriously, do any of you who tipped and rec'd this diary go to Netroots Nation?  I would never want to meet any of you in real life.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 08:11:31 AM PST

•  You have to rate the comment (0+ / 0-)

she wrote, not the comment you feel like you might be able to stretch her words to fit.
        And in any case, under which of the site's HR guidelines does your stretch of an interpretation fall?  Is finding suicide acceptable for "a certain group of individuals" inherently unacceptable? Is discussion of physician-assisted suicide bannable now? If you find her comment bad for some reason, you are free to tell her, although not free to do so with insults, as many of the HR-happy seem to. I am personally disturbed to have to uprate a vapid comment like that just to counter ratings abuse.

•  HRs don't always need to follow a flow chart (2+ / 0-)
          Betty Pinson, mattc129

Sure, there are some defined rules about what to hide rate (clear racist and bigoted comments, for example).

But when the golden rule is "Don't Be A Dick"... well, that allows for some subjectivity with regard to giving HRs or not.

I interpreted her comment as approving of suicide for self-centered individuals.  And since we're in the context of this diary regarding the deaths of supposed bankers (which, btw, is not true at all - see lower comments about their actual jobs), I interpreted that she found it totally fine that these three people killed themselves.  I find that HR worthy.  And I'm not alone in that thought process because several others also HR'd the comment.

In this diary, we're not having a discussion about physician-assisted suicide or any of those unrelated topics you mention above, so I don't see why you even bring that up.  Unless, or course, you are inherently incapable of closing the principles & robotic flow chart manual that you seem to base your HR decisions on, and read the comment at hand in its context.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 08:29:24 AM PST

•  You totally reversed the meaning of her comment (0+ / 0-)
            A more conventional interpretation would be that suicide is a self-centerd act, which I think is a condemnation of suicide. In any case, DBAD is a guideline for behavior, not the criterion for doling out HRs. Please retract your wrongful HR.
          •  P.S. hannah's own later comment (2+ / 0-)
            AoT, Betty Pinson

and the responses of many other comments agree with my interpretation. Sure it is fun to pile on, but it does the site a disservice. The commenter has a long history of sophisticated or even arcane comments and diaries here, and should not be attacked on emotional whim.

•  So she defends her comment. Not exactly surprising (3+ / 0-)
              Susan G in MN, mattc129, sviscusi

One own's defense of a comment doesn't automatically make it immune to HRs.

ivorybill's comment about suicide and being self-centered is a very measured and thoughtful comment.  You should read it and understand how it's a good explanation of my thoughts.

I don't care about sophisticated or arcane comments.  No healthy person commits suicide, and being unhealthy equals tangible imbalanced chemistry of neurotransmitter/hormones, not some hand-wavy philosophical and college literature class bullshit, trying to appoint some higher metaphysical meaning to events that are easily defined, measured, and interpreted by science and medicine.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 09:51:20 AM PST

•  Well, I'd never want to meet people (1+ / 0-)
        Sandino

who defend NSA spying, kill lists, or Social Security cuts in real life. Nor people who portray the financial sector as victims and get all het up over the quite appropriate resentment of the financial sector that ordinary people feel due to the financial sector robbing them of their homes and their jobs and their childrens' future.

Those people used to be called "Republicans."

Now they apparently set the standards for how Democrats are supposed to talk and act.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 11:36:19 AM PST

• Recommended (137)
  • Community (67)
  • Elections (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Culture (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Science (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Law (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Memorial Day (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Bernie Sanders (16)
  • Republicans (16)
  • Education (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site