View Diary: If our voters turn out, we win (226 comments)

•  I will take a ConservaDem over a Republican (7+ / 0-)

any day.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 10:31:37 AM PST

•  Half a loaf versus someone who steals (7+ / 0-)

your loaf and throws it away because you haven't paid for your school lunch.

I'm on a mission! http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1233352/51142428#c520 Testing the new site rules.

by blue aardvark on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 10:40:34 AM PST

•  Exactly. Look, if Democrats turn out here in (3+ / 0-)
        blue aardvark, edwardssl, DrJohnB

Maine in November, we'll elect a moderate-conservative Democrat (Mike Michaud, ME-02) to replace our tea party artifact of a Governor, little Paulie LePage. But Mike is a Democrat, an environmentalist, and an openly gay man. I'll vote proudly for Mike.

Is Mike a progressive? No. But he's infinitely better than the alternatives.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 10:43:42 AM PST

•  And then punches you in the face (1+ / 0-)
        blue aardvark

and complains that you broke his hand.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 12:17:31 PM PST

•  Not anymore. (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, Tool

Conservadems get in power and not only drive the party rightward with votes on policy but also through candidate recruitment and allocation of funds to some Dem candidates while starving others for oxygen. They're more concerned with shutting down progressive and liberal points of view than they are with establishing and furthering Democratic majorities.

I'm not playing their game anymore. It's because of them, arguably, that we lost the House in 2010.

I tried to go online to find a similar bear head...but when I searched “Big Bear Head” it gave me a San Diego craigslist ad entitled “Big Bear needs some quick head now” and then I just decided to never go on the internet again.--Jenny Lawson

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 10:53:42 AM PST

•  what (0+ / 0-)

is the right way to play "the game" then?

What lesson is there to learn?

Hillary Clinton criticized China for letting Snowden go

by GideonAB on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 12:18:11 PM PST

•  That's a big discussion (0+ / 0-)

To answer specifically would take a diary series, and obviously even if I wrote a diary series I wouldn't have all the answers.

If you'd like a general answer: I'd start with building political infrastructure.

I'd assess what our needs are and what our resources are. And I'd take a look at our enemies' resources to see if there was anything there I could learn from or co-opt.

And then I'd build infrastructure to serve our needs, co-opting what I could, inventing what I couldn't. This is essentially what rich American conservatives did starting in the 70s after the Powell memo.

My guess is that a lot of the initial work would involve building a true alternative media that could reach millions of people without costing millions of dollars. We invented the blogosphere, but it isn't enough. It's the MSM that is driving the price of electoral campaigns higher and higher, so that everyone other than the billionaires are priced out of democracy. We need to find a way to throw a wrench into that process.

This isn't work most people want to do. It's much more satisfying and concrete to tackle "We need to get 17 more seats!" or "We need to defend 10 seats in the Senate!" The problem is that none of that works at this point. We keep winning elections, and the policy keeps getting worse and worse and the situation in the country keeps getting worse and worse. To quote Luke Skywalker, "Why are we still moving towards it?"

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 04:43:06 PM PST

•  this aligns with (1+ / 0-)
            SouthernLiberalinMD

some of my own thinking.

Senate Dems can use the existing media against the Republicans.  We just need to find House candidate who will push the Dems to do this.

Our 2013 pick, Robin Kelly, is not doing this

I think we should select candidates who will speak out to get the Senate leadership to push the Republicans hard in the media

by GideonAB on Fri Feb 07, 2014 at 05:50:03 AM PST

•  me too. numbers count when it comes to (1+ / 0-)
      commonmass

committee chairmanships and whether legislation even gets to the floor

Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D.
      DEMAND CREATES JOBS!!!
      Drop by The Grieving Room on Monday nights to talk about grief.

by TrueBlueMajority on Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 11:25:54 AM PST

• Recommended (128)
  • Community (61)
  • 2016 (46)
  • Elections (38)
  • Environment (35)
  • Media (35)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (33)
  • Republicans (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (28)
  • Barack Obama (27)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Civil Rights (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Culture (24)
  • Jeb Bush (24)
  • Economy (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Bernie Sanders (18)
  • Senate (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site