View Diary: Two Disastrous Programs Collide: Drone Assassination & NSA Mass Surveillance (141 comments)

•  I've never been certain GG had Snowden's best (2+ / 0-)
    duhban, Jim Riggs

interest in mind.

Snowden has said REPEATEDLY that he hasn't done anything that exposed times strictly outside of domestic involvement, and has also said that his info should not all be released. This info, which I don't believe Snowden has ever addressed directly, doesn't seem to jive with those previous statements.

I'm not convinced this is being driven or even wanted by Snowden.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 10:00:23 AM PST

•  I don't think... (4+ / 0-)

...that Greenwald asks Snowden permission to address any of the document in his possession.

Snowden has NO control over how the documents are used by the reporters who have them.  He simply trusts that those reporters will use them in a responsible manner.  Beyond that, I don't believe that Snowden is pulling any strings regarding how the documents are vetted or has any input regarding the news stories they inspire.

While I believe that Greenwald respects Snowden's actions as a whistleblower -- he has said as much in very fawning terms-- I don't think he has any responsibility to have Snowden's best interests in mind when reporting on the documents.

I understand what you're saying, however, I don't think that Greenwald makes decisions as a journalist based on what Snowden wants -- he makes those decisions based on the right of the people in a free country to know what their government is up to.  Snowden, at this point, is incidental.

all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

by 4kedtongue on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 10:11:41 AM PST

•  I think you're right, and that sucks for Snowden. (2+ / 0-)
        4kedtongue, duhban

Anything released from what he provided is on him, no? Legally, that is.

While you dream of Utopia, we're here on Earth, getting things done.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 10:16:34 AM PST

•  Well... (3+ / 0-)

...it doesn't matter if it's released or not.  He took the documents and already released them to journalists.  I think that's what he's on the hook for.  I suppose that what I'm saying is that Greenwald need not write another story based on those documents.  As a matter of fact, he could burn them or destroy them and never have used them, and Snowden would still have been charged with a crime.

I don't think that continued revelations are adding to what he has been charged with.  He has been charged under the Espionage Act.  Legally for Snowden, it can't get worse than that.

by 4kedtongue on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 10:25:48 AM PST

•  Your effort to demonize Greenwald is laughable. (11+ / 0-)

There are other journalists involved in disseminating the stories as well, and so far they have been doing so responsibly, despite the hysteria of the intelligence community, the White House, and it's ardent supporters in the public, DC, and media (hello, Bob Cesca!).

"Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

by Kombema on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 10:56:15 AM PST

•  Could be seen that way... (5+ / 0-)

...and given GGGE's comments regarding Greenwald, it's not a stretch to assume that's the intent -- to drive a wedge between Snowden supporters who feel that Greenwald's  reporting jeopardizes Snowden's reputation as a whistleblower.

However, I simply read his comments in the vacuum and context of this diary exclusively, without any attempt to conflate previous comments he's made regarding Greenwald.

If this was his intent, as far as I'm concerned, it failed.  But I'm a little weary addressing all comments made by critics of Snowden / Greenwald in a reactionary way.  My approach, in this instance, made for a less contentious exchange.  Maybe I'm simply mellowing in my old age, but the accusations and counter accusations based on inferrence and implication has simply lost most of its appeal for me.  At least for today.

by 4kedtongue on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 11:18:03 AM PST

•  It's obvious he doesn't have Snowden's... (0+ / 0-)

best interest in mind imo. He's kicked-off his new media venture with what he thinks is a bombshell. He's been sitting on it for eight months. My guess is he plans to let the stories trickle out and ride the wave as long as he can.

I'm not paranoid or anything. Everyone just thinks I am.

by Jim Riggs on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 03:48:34 PM PST

•  Bobswern... (2+ / 0-)
        BradyB, DeadHead

...called it a bombshell.  I think the timing of this story has more to do with his now-partnership with Scahill, who has done more critical reporting on the drone program than any other US journalist.

This story is merely the first example of how bringing independent journalists together in this endeavor is going to work.

There will be more revelations wrt the Snowden documents.  Greenwald is probably still vetting them.

But nice try at the attempt to raise expectations and call it anti-climactic.  I suspect that you can do better than this, so, by all means, keep at it.

by 4kedtongue on Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 06:56:51 PM PST