View Diary: Dallas sports anchor gives the best commentary on Michael Sam yet (159 comments)

•  Dale Hansen (7+ / 0-)
    TXdem, mungley, Catte Nappe, royce, citizenx, cai, Trevin

Is a self-centered overhyped gasbag of a sports anchor who devloves more into Ron Burgandy every day.

I've lived in Dallas most of my life.  Dale is a jerk to his co-hosts and is so full of his own greatness it makes people cringe.  He occasionally, like here, has a moment of clear sanity, but those nuggets are rare indeed.

I will give him his due here, for sure, just like when he announced that he was molested as a young boy in Nebraska.  Both rank amongst the best commentary on TV in this area in a long time.

But most of the time he's just insufferable.

•  Well, no one is 100% correct (4+ / 0-)

unless you talk to yourself. ;-) I've got a local sports host who was right on the money when it came to the Sandusky situation at Penn State, then in November went on a rant about women in sports broadcasting that lost me as a regular listener. (I tune in on occasion, but when I can tell he's about to go off on a tangent that's going to piss me off, I change the channel.)

by Cali Scribe on Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 01:53:22 PM PST

•  Amen (4+ / 0-)
      FarWestGirl, Trevin, BlackSheep1, MKSinSA

We usually change the channel when he comes on. He's a jerk, generally, and the badinage and "teasing" with Delkus is infinitely annoying.  But I did happen to catch that commentary, and have to give him props for it.

“Texas is a so-called red state, but you’ve got 10 million Democrats here in Texas. And …, there are a whole lot of people here in Texas who need us, and who need us to fight for them.” President Obama

by Catte Nappe on Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 03:06:14 PM PST

•  I usually skip him too......... (2+ / 0-)
        Catte Nappe, FarWestGirl

I'm not into sports and I don't think the teasing is all that funny.  But I happened to catch the commentary and was impressed.

The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace – Mahatma Gandhi

by Texnance on Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 04:09:54 PM PST

•  so you're in the DFW TV market, eh, CN? (3+ / 0-)
        MKSinSA, Catte Nappe, TexDem

Must be nice (I used to get their NBC feed in Big Spring).
        Lubbock's NBC affiliate is the rightwingnutjobTeawadhadjivangelicalkrystyunist station....

LBJ, Van Cliburn, Ike, Wendy Davis, Lady Bird, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 07:48:05 PM PST

•  Yes, spot on (5+ / 0-)

but he also hates Jerry Jones with a passion which also helps.

•  hey! so bonus there (1+ / 0-)
        citizenx

anybody who wants to see that #@!$%^&* Arkansas lawyer made to give somebody with some football smarts a shot at running the Cowboys can't be all bad....

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 at 07:49:21 PM PST

•  Time for a fresh look at Hansen! (1+ / 0-)
      Nicci August

Hansen has driven me crazy for years (not in a good way). I tuned him out eons ago, But in looking for info on this story, I came across another one from 2011. I am totally reevaluating my opinion of him.

WFAA-TV’s Dale Hansen reveals that at 10, he was sexually assaulted
      By Bruce Tomaso
      btomaso@dallasnews.com
      1:44 pm on December 19, 2011

sports anchor Dale Hansen of WFAA-TV (Channel 8) last night showed a heartwarming video montage with Thank God for Kids by the Oak Ridge Boys as its soundrtack.

Aftwerward, Hansen’s commentary took an unexpected turn. He talked about the Penn State sex scandal and about people who stand silent instead of speaking up for the young victims of sex abuse.

Then, his voice beginning to crack, Hansen said:

“We all know a victim. … You might not think you do, but I know you do. Because you all know me.”

Watch the video to hear Hansen’s story.

well crap I can't figure out how to imbed the video. Here is the link to it.

...wispy longings for a time before Elvis and the Beatles, back when "a girl could cook and still would". You know before the troubles.~Hunter.

by denig on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 10:11:36 AM PST

•  This incident was mentioned in the root post (1+ / 0-)
        denig

There are two moments in the last 5 years where Dale Hansen was watchable.  You've now seen both of them.

•  You are totally right. I didn't read that (1+ / 0-)
          TheDuckManCometh

paragraph. My apologies for shorting you in the reading.

I can't disagree with

because I haven't watched him even once in those 5 years.

However, those 2 video moments are incredible. All the more so, because he's the last person I would expect to have made them.

Again I apologize for responding without reading your whole post.

Tacky of me.