View Diary: UPDATE: VW CEO Calls out Corker for saying VW won't expand if UAW is approved in Chattanooga (187 comments)

•  In case anyone is interested, (6+ / 0-)

here is an example of VW's newest factory (built in China) to give you a better idea of how this company thinks and builds :

VW Model Factory

PS: Caveat - this is one of my translations for VW's Das.Auto.Magazine, so yes, I am totally biased! :-)

„Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.“ - Bertolt Brecht

by translatorpro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 05:39:31 AM PST

•  Thanks for the journal. nt (1+ / 0-)
      translatorpro

"The war was expensive to the South as well as to the North, both in blood and treasure, but it was worth all it cost."- General U.S. Grant, Chattanooga campaign

by Sandy on Signal on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 05:51:55 AM PST

•  translatorpro (2+ / 0-)
      Sandy on Signal, translatorpro

Very cool work you did.
      Now I see why you thought it was quite funny when I posted my Official Language of the European Union comment.

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 12:35:14 PM PST

•  Thank you for the compliment. (1+ / 0-)
        Sandy on Signal

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings - any effort to master a second language should be praised, not mocked. Apologies. I was lucky to be raised and educated in two cultures and languages, which is quite an advantage in this profession.

by translatorpro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 02:12:42 PM PST

•  translatorpro (2+ / 0-)
          translatorpro, Sandy on Signal

I was raised in two languages myself & am fluent in both French & English including reading & writing them.
          My sister has had her translating business for almost 30 years & is swamped with work year-round.
          So how could my feelings be hurt.
          I`m also quite proficient in Spanish.

Maybe you don`t remember what I refer to.
          The German who found a way to simplify English involving the European official language & had it come out like German.
          You told me you were definitely going to steal that, & that your colleagues would get a big kick out of it.

Does that ring a bell?

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 03:02:33 PM PST

•  Ah, right, that was brilliant! (2+ / 0-)
            Sandy on Signal, Knucklehead

I was confusing that with another exchange with a commenter a while back who wrote a rather cryptic comment to me in faulty German, lol. Now THAT would be cause for offense. Long day. sorry. I do a lot of work for that customer magazine above and a couple of other corporations (I specialize in marketing/advertising/PR translations), so I'm pretty busy and always under deadline pressure. What languages does your sister work in?

by translatorpro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 03:14:57 PM PST

•  translatorpro (1+ / 0-)
              translatorpro

She works English/French, French/English.
              Another brother speaks 5 or 6 languages including Arabic, & another one speaks 4.
              Both of those brothers spent 30 years, mostly in Africa, one in the private sector & the other one in the public sector, finally as consul to the Canadian Mission to the UN & was based in the United Nations building in New York.

So no,I didn`t get my feelings hurt.
              I`m glad you did remember though.

I`m already against the next war.

by Knucklehead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 04:43:32 PM PST

•  Amazing. Languages are wonderful, (1+ / 0-)
                Knucklehead

and I feel quite privileged to earn money doing something I love. The talent runs in the family, my father's side. He spoke numerous languages, was quite brilliant in many of them, and taught Russian and German. Later he learned Burmese courtesy of a government institution that shall not be named. Alas, I am only proficient in German and English, and was in French at one time, but that is very rusty now. I'm tempted to move to France just to get it back up to speed for fun! It's just across the border, so not such a pipe dream. Anyhow, better stop this threadjacking, even if the diary is pretty dead by now. I'm sure we'll cross paths again eventually.

by translatorpro on Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 12:48:04 AM PST

•  Here's a look at the VW Chattanooga Plant... (2+ / 0-)
      Sandy on Signal, translatorpro