View Diary: NRA legislator thinks it was totally awesome that Aurora murderer had 100-round magazine (422 comments)

•  I am a gun enthusiast (7+ / 0-)

First of all the guy is an insensitive dick. High capacity magazine pose no more threat then others, unless you are crazy. That's the problem, People are crazy. Bearing in mind people are crazy we should limit the availability of high capacity magazines. My friends and I were discussing things after a great day of target shooting and my friend said jokingly"Guns don't kill people, I kill people"
    Dark humor to say the least, but it illustrates something. Inanimate objects don't kill people. People do. If the existence and availability of high capacity magazines lead to mass shootings, something needs to be done.

“He talks a lot and he's not very bright. And that's a combination I like in Republicans.” James Carville

by Mokislab on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 09:34:47 AM PST

•  I think a more fitting phrase is... (8+ / 0-)

"Guns don't kill people, but they sure help!"
      Yes, its from a movie, and spoken by a sociopath, but I think its a very valid phrase.

We can eve go back the the freedom of speech, how most gun-nuts keep yelling that their rights are protected just as the rights to speech are (not going to go into specific argument as to whether 2nd amendment guarantee individual rights to bear arm). But let's humor them and compare gun right to speech.
      1. I'm not allowed to stand outside my house and shout/yell/scream constantly, with or without amplifier. Noise ordinances trumped my rights of free speech.
      2. I'm not allowed to setup a 1 kW transmitter to flood the AM band with 24-7 rick-rolling, FCC will have my ass for that. FCC regulation trumped my free speech.
      3. I'm allowed to setup a sub-100W transmitter if I have a HAM radio license and follow all regulation.

I'm sure you can find a LOT of cases where your free speech is constrained, and note that in all cases, your full right to free speech ends the moment it can force their way into someone else's ear. And if you're going to use a tool to augment your speech, you've to be licensed to prove that you're responsible to use those tool.

We can apply the same reason 2nd amendment. Your right to gun ownership ends the moment you can force a bullet into someone else. By that definition... that's pretty much all the guns. That means mandatory gun licenses.

•  Straw man (9+ / 0-)
      I don't believe anyone is saying that the existence of any firearm or accessory LEADS to any kind of killing, but certain things, like high capacity magazines, make killing faster and easier.

The basis to NYSAFE and the recent CT ruling upholding the constitutionality of the magazine ban is that it can be in the public interest, since people on killing sprees are often stopped as they reload.  High capacity magazines mean less reloading, unless we add the caveat, which has been suggested, of mandatory jamming after one bullet.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 09:57:44 AM PST

•  Don't misunderstand me (5+ / 0-)

I am for banning these magazines. His argument is ridiculous. He is correct that most high capacity magazines suck, but that subject should be discussed on the NRA blog. I am for universal licensing also. Gun violence is way out of control. As lazy as most people are the simplest deterrents  would be very effective. Waiting periods would save lives. More extensive background checks would save lives. His assertion that a shitty magazine saved lives is like saying that a murderer was a good guy because he didn't cut his victim up into pieces. He is just preaching to his choir.

by Mokislab on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 10:16:42 AM PST

•  Maybe he suggest that (2+ / 0-)
        coquiero, Silvia Nightshade

At his next legislative session. Mandatory jamming of all high capacity magazines after one shot. LOL.

by Mokislab on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 11:20:46 AM PST

•  How about we address these social issues (2+ / 0-)
      Mokislab, CarlosJ

by providing universal health care, not "health insurance" and include universal mental health care as well?

How about we address our failure as a society because we never helped those that actually need/needed it?

If we don't address the person in this equation, then we'll be chasing our tails like the British are doing today.  They've been pushing for years now to ban knives, because the people, when denied arms, found another tool to use.

by gerrilea on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 11:34:53 AM PST

•  The (5+ / 0-)

"we must fix XY and Z first!!!" argument gets. so. old.

"I don't want a unicorn. I want a fucking pegasus. And I want it to carry a flaming sword." -mahakali overdrive

by Silvia Nightshade on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 12:40:33 PM PST

•  You're running out of options... (1+ / 0-)
          CarlosJ

Until we actually do the things I've suggested, it's not "old" at all...but untested.

I do believe you don't want to embark on that path because it would help millions all across this nation.

Why would you deny helping millions, especially those that truly need it?

Is it the money?

Is it because you want the "easy fix"?

Is it because you truly don't care about them?

We could have done so many things to address the violence in this nation but it's been wasted fighting each other over an inanimate object that if and when it's every banned, will never stop the mass murderers.

That was the intent, correct?

To save people's lives, right?

Then why aren't we doing it?

by gerrilea on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 10:50:03 PM PST

•  You're right. (1+ / 0-)
            coquiero

I don't care about anyone or anything and I'm only on DKos to concern troll people.

You're so right, I'm just an asshole who wants people to continue to suffer.

by Silvia Nightshade on Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 05:09:30 AM PST

•  Hon, I've been here a bit longer than you, (1+ / 0-)
              CarlosJ

fighting for many things.  Hoping against hope to get "better" Democrats elected.

When you attempt to push an agenda that will do nothing but ensure failure, as you did in your first reply to me.

"It's so old"...then I will ask questions to find out what your true motives are.  You really can't want to help people if that's your answer.

The zealotry and pure hatred this issue pushes many on this side of the isle to makes me wonder if anything but electoral loss is the intent.

Your precious "gun control" lost us, here in Erie County (Buffalo NY), control of our legislature this past election.

Have we since 2008 restored funding to mental health, you know, since we elected more democrats?  Have we stopped the destruction the Republicans have wrought? Nope...in fact, our party has become an accessory to their crimes...it's time we got "better" Democrats.

Drop this crusade you're on before we lose everything I've fought the majority of my life to attain.

Your dismissive arrogant position tells me all I need to know.

It's disgusting.

by gerrilea on Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 05:48:01 AM PST

•  Yep, (0+ / 0-)

I'm arrogant and disgusting and whatever else you want to add.  I really don't care what names you want to call me or how you do it by proxy of characterizing "my positions" as if you know all of them on every issue.

I said your argument was old because it is.  It's the same thing I see from you everywhere.  I hate the argument that we must fix XYZ first because it obfuscates from the issue at hand.  It is possible for us to work on multiple issues at one time.  As Dems, are we supposed to go through your list, in your order, first before we can tackle other issues?  Are we supposed to only dog one issue (say, restoring funding for mental health to appropriate levels) and leave the others alone until we finish that one?  And if there are serious problems in another realm, say immigration, we just leave that to the side until we finish with mental health?  And who sets the benchmarks?  How do we know we have accomplished "enough" on one issue to move on to the next?  The same argument you present brings up so many other issues that it's a total derail from the topic.  It's like if I went into a diary on the Rs refusing to pass a sensible budget and start saying "But we can't fix this problem until we fix education!"  YES education needs some fixing but that's not the issue we are talking about in this thread.

I made one comment, not even about the content of this diary and suddenly I'm a zealot who is actively trying to make Democrats lose?  Why are you making such huge leaps in your conclusions about me and my motives?  I disagree with you vehemently on this issue BUT I don't think you are here to destroy the Dem party simply because we disagree on this one thing, I don't characterize your positions on all issues as arrogant or disgusting.  Yes my UID is nearly ten times higher than yours, but why is my opinion garbage because you've been here longer?  I'm sure you're older than me too, so since I had the unfortunate fate of being born after you my opinion is therefore worth less too, right?

by Silvia Nightshade on Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 06:14:20 AM PST

•  Whether or not we "tackle" other issues (1+ / 0-)
                  CarlosJ

isn't the point.

Focusing on the object used will not change the violence some people cannot control.  This isn't about any other topic.  Americans have been so compartmentalized in their thinking they can't see the whole picture.  The facts are people need help...let's help them!

Banning objects and creating more criminals will not solve this problem.   Have you ever suggested to your RW co-workers, friends, etc anything I've been pushing for, like universal mental health services AS one option to reducing violence?  I have, you know what?  They're less defensive and we start actually communicating.  The don't feel like their being pushed into a corner.

Our party has wasted an entire freaking year arguing over gun control while people are still dying.  Have we pushed nationally to end the racist drug war?  You know the biggest CAUSE of gun violence in our urban war zones!

Nope...  Tell me again how banning the accessories a gun may have is going to reduce the killings in our cities?  It ain't!!!!!!!!

How's UBC's going to do that?????
                  Or a national registration?????

All these things will do is ensure the profits of the Prison Industrial Complex...it won't help either one of us.  When you pass laws the majority do not agree with, they're gonna ignore them.  We've spent over a trillion dollars on the war on drugs and we're worse off today than 30 yrs ago.  We have the highest incarceration rates in the world because you know what?  People like to get stoned...Who cares?  Let them have their fun, it's not hurting me or you!

Put those resources where they can do the most good.   Pass legislation that won't take a constitutional amendment or endless court cases to settle.  Wasting the lives even more Americans while they're being adjudicated.

Accept that this truly isn't about you personally but the damn one dimensional "solution" you keep pushing!

Your snotty replies tells me you don't want to think this out or don't care to as long as "the solution" is to restrict a constitutionally protected preexisting right.

We have to move this conversation forward.  Gun control is dead in the waters until we get a super majority in the Senate and retake the House...

Well, what can we do in the mean time?  Nothing???

by gerrilea on Fri Feb 14, 2014 at 06:43:44 AM PST

•  I agree with Hunter... (0+ / 0-)

those who don't value their nation should be exiled from same. They do not deserve citizenship.

Democracy, if done properly, is rude, messy, and loud

by allensl on Thu Feb 13, 2014 at 07:47:55 PM PST

•  Help me out a bit? Hunter said this in what (1+ / 0-)
          CarlosJ