View Diary: Daily Kos Election Morning Digest: What's the matter with Michigan? (47 comments)

•  I also have health problems so what I do is GOTV (6+ / 0-)

phone bank from home.  Granted , it is far easier to do for a Presidential election.  The Obama campaign was so detailed, well organized, and their phonebank website was super easy to use. I was able to make hundreds of phone calls thanks to the meticulously well structured and super well organized Obama campaign.

What I do in non Presidential election cycles is that first I go the candidates website. I click on where it says Volunteer and I offer to phone bank from home. If they do not call me back, I call them and offer. I have never been turned down and they eagerly say Yes.

The campaigns can always use volunteers who will help send our emails or do phone banking.This is particularly important and crucial the closer we get to November.

All campaigns greatly need and always appreciate volunteers who will call voters to remind them to get out and vote .

Keystone Liberals on Twitter @ KeystoneLibs , Join PA Liberals at http://keystoneliberalsforum.aimoo.com/

by wishingwell on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 08:14:43 AM PST

•  Yes, definitely. (2+ / 0-)
      wishingwell, Stude Dude

I do know about health problems--I'm recovering from advanced cancer, and it has compromised my energy, probably permanently. But there is a ton of stuff possible to do from home. I can keep you in the loop about projects as I hear about them.

Support Small Business: Shop Kos Katalogue If you'd like to join the Motor City Kossacks, send me a Kosmail.

by peregrine kate on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 08:35:34 AM PST

•  I would (2+ / 0-)
        wishingwell, peregrine kate

Happily be on the phone for GOTV, but suffer from extreme diarrhea-I have logged for my doctor's office days when I've gone up to 28 times and no it isn't Crone's disease.  So, I research my letters in between poops.  Other days, I do not go nearly as much, almost normal, but I refuse to talk to someone if I am on the toilet!   :-)
          There are other issues, too, but it is the bathroom runs that prevent me from calling people.

I will never forget, as long as I live, the day the entire world had hope... 01/20/09

by jilikins on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 08:46:15 AM PST

•  Oh wow, that is awful. Is the doctor unable to (2+ / 0-)
          jilikins, peregrine kate

find a cause or treatment?

Having this much diarrhea, how are you able to keep from being dehydrated. Do ever need IVS or are you able to drink a lot of water?

My dad suffered from this and lost 50 lbs and it was a bowel blockage that first caused constipation and then later severe diarrhea.

by wishingwell on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 08:49:28 AM PST

•  There is (2+ / 0-)
            wishingwell, peregrine kate

Treatment for this-I take around 10 pills a day-just for that!  However, it only slows it for a bit and they are finding out that I become "used" to the pills and it starts all over again so there is about a 2 week period where I cannot take anything at all for it.
             I have never, in my life, until now, had to worry about dehydrating as I've always been a huge water drinker, and as yet, have not had to go the IVS route, but the doctor has told me of this.
              Frustrating me most of all?  I have only lost about 10 pounds because I eat quite well in between bouts.  And, I have had this for almost a year.  Like many women, I thought the bright side of this would be a lot of weight loss and consoled myself with that thought-but unfortunately, it is not to be.  :-(   I know, I know seems vain and silly of me to think of losing weight in this misery but I was looking for the silver lining.
              I love you all for caring.

by jilikins on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 09:44:20 AM PST

•  There is a silver lining about not losing a lot of (2+ / 0-)
              peregrine kate, jilikins

weight.

In my dad;s case, all the weight loss led to the discovery through a CAT scan that he had a bowel blockage in his small intestine. That blockage turn out to be malignant.
              There is no treatment for the rare carcinoid cancer but surgeries.  His diarrhea would increase after they would remove more and more of his small intestine to get out the blockages and malignant tissue.

In my sister's case, the cause of her diarrhea was a benign ..well borderline cancer but mostly benign tumor the size of a football sitting on her left ovary.

But my sister suffered from severe bouts of diarrhea for years unrelated to this benign tumor and she had to stop drinking coffee and eating a lot of other foods and taking probiotics.

by wishingwell on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 09:56:04 AM PST

•  I assume you've checked out all the usual (1+ / 0-)
              jilikins

suspects, such as celiac, and other food sensitivities? If not, I'd recommend trying a bland diet entirely of things that just about no one reacts to (lamb, rice, plain fish) and see if that helps. If it does, then add things back in one at a time and see if you can find the triggers.

If you've already ruled out all that stuff, then forgive me for playing diagnostician -- and I really wish you well and hope you/they figure it out so you can live your life more fully.

•  Yep (0+ / 0-)

Usual suspects ruled out, but have found I can do without wheat, for the most part.  Never ever realized how much wheat we eat, until I kept track.  WOW!

by jilikins on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 12:42:24 PM PST

•  My sister also suffered from severe bouts of (1+ / 0-)
          jilikins

diarrhea where she lost so much weight, she was 90 lbs and doctors almost admitted to the hospital. The only thing that slowed down her diarrhea was Culturelle, a probiotic.

Are you able to take probiotics or does the doctor prescribe anti diarrhea meds that slow it down some?

by wishingwell on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 08:51:35 AM PST

•  As a person with severe ulcerative colitis... (2+ / 0-)
          jilikins, peregrine kate

I feel your pain.

•  Oh, I am so sorry. What a condition (1+ / 0-)
          jilikins

to have to deal with. I hope that your docs can get a handle on it with you soon. {{{{{jilikins}}}}}

by peregrine kate on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 10:07:57 AM PST

•  Kate, Get well wishes to you and my thoughts (2+ / 0-)
        jilikins, peregrine kate

are with you as you battle cancer.
         That is a rough road go down and we are here for you.

by wishingwell on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 08:46:38 AM PST