View Diary: Bill Nye versus Marsha Blackburn on Meet The Press: Climate Change Politics (261 comments)

•  Are you implying that Nye is not a scientist? (21+ / 0-)

He has a B.S. from Cornell University in mechanical engineering.  He worked for Boeing.  I would say that warrants being classified as a scientist.  You don't have to be in academia to qualify as being a scientist.

And you might want to read my earlier comment to understand the impact Bill Nye has had on my generation and why he is a superb candidate to directly take on conservative lies on climate change.

"Give me a lever long enough... and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

by mconvente on Sun Feb 16, 2014 at 09:18:39 PM PST

•  Mconvente is right (21+ / 0-)

Some of my earliest memories are from when I was sick as a kid, and I was sitting up watching Bill Nye taped on TV. I knew what a solid, a liquid, and a gas were before I hit kindergarten because of Bill Nye. And everyone, everyone in my age group knows the best days in science class at school were when we got a TV wheeled in on a cart and we watched Bill Nye videos in class.

For a lot of us, he's the voice of Science, the way Carl Sagan is for people our parents' age. I was kind of shaky re: climate change, but if Bill Nye is saying it's a Thing, I'm willing to trust him on that.

When the scribbling devil is got into a man's head, he falls to writing and publishing, which gets him as much fame as money, and as much money as fame. ~ Cervantes

by scribblingTiresias on Sun Feb 16, 2014 at 11:45:01 PM PST

•  Nye is an educator. That's most important. (21+ / 0-)

He didn't get distracted or annoyed by Blackburn's BS. He brought the conversation back to his main points and made them in language viewers could understand.

“Industry does everything they can and gets away with it almost all the time, whether it’s the coal industry, not the subject of this hearing, or water or whatever. They will cut corners, and they will get away with it. " Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D, WVa

by FishOutofWater on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 06:36:40 AM PST

•  that is his genius and the record needs to be (0+ / 0-)

kept straight

An idea is not responsible for who happens to be carrying it at the moment. It stands or falls on its own merits.

by don mikulecky on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 11:40:30 AM PST

•  Sometimes an "educator" (2+ / 0-)
          kfunk937, xaxnar

is exactly what is needed.

I never liked science in school as a child - mostly because of the way it was taught in the 60's.
          I now enjoy leaning more about science because of good PBS programs on science topics over the years (Cosmos, Nova, Nature, Bill Nye, National Geographic, etc.)

I'm not a "Scientist", nor am I a Teacher.
          I got my degree in Engineering (Electrical major), so I do have some physics under my belt, and have worked as an engineer in Corporate America for close to 40 years now.
          But for around 6 years or so, I volunteered to do science and math demos in the local grade schools. I presented topics like "Waves of Sound",  "Sports Science", "Symmetry", "Simple Machines" and "Basic Electricity" to classrooms of K - 5th grade.

By your definitions, I was not "qualified" to speak about math or science to school children. And yet they seemed to love my presentations, and became very engaged in the topics. I used age appropriate language to explain my topics (which would have been far too complex for these children if I had used science terminology to explain them). I got down to their level, sitting in student chairs or sometimes on the floor with them. I used demonstrations which they could see, hear, and touch. I started at the very simplest concept, and worked up through more complex concepts. I let them participate and explore with me. And they had fun, and learned some things.

I'm not sure if I influenced any of those children to go into science, engineering or math (I like to think I did). But I know I made science fun for them for one day, and maybe a little less intimidating.

Perhaps that's the value of having somebody like Bill Nye speak to people via TV about real science concerns today. He may not be your cup of tea. But to the masses of non-scientists, he is effective. And that has value when you need to bring more (average) people on board - people who would have likely changed the channel if a "Scientist" started talking about global warming in academic terminology.

•  no he is not a practicing scientist (1+ / 0-)
      mudfud27

There are plenty out there

by don mikulecky on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 11:39:20 AM PST

•  So? Was his information correct? (2+ / 0-)
        xaxnar, mattc129

THAT is what matters, Don:  getting CORRECT information out there on climate change.  Bill Nye has name recognition, experience on television, and a history of specializing in breaking down complex concepts so that non-scientists understand them.  Why this upsets you so much, and why you're basically accusing the guy of letting himself be used when it is manifestly obvious that he was NOT toeing the corporate-owned media line, is beyond me.

This isn't freedom. This is fear - Captain America

by Ellid on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 12:26:49 PM PST

•  Seriously? You want to keep digging this hole? (1+ / 0-)
        mattc129

We were not ahead of our time, we led the way to our time.

by i understand on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 01:31:10 PM PST

•  And Pasteur was a chemist (0+ / 0-)

By what right did he have, telling doctors how to treat disease?

"No special skill, no standard attitude, no technology, and no organization - no matter how valuable - can safely replace thought itself."

by xaxnar on Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 04:11:32 AM PST

•  Actually, no implying is needed. (0+ / 0-)

A B.S. in mechanical engineering is great. It does not make anyone a scientist by any stretch.

For one thing, engineering is a discipline in which scientific principles are applied for practical purposes. Engineers are often important members of the team and do important things but they do not systematically do the things that scientists do: hypothesize, observe/experiment, refine hypotheses, publish results.

For another, Nye doesn't actually do science. So by definition he is not a scientist.

That doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about or is unfamiliar with scientific principles, but there IS a difference.