View Diary: Delusional Democrats and Market Fundamentalism (230 comments)

•  Why do you white-wash history to remove race? (7+ / 0-)

You present an incomplete history that is rooted in a disturbing frame:

White voters, loyal New Deal Democrats for decades, abandoned the Democratic Party when the Democrats abandoned them.
    I can hardly get past the structural racism of that frame to dig into your neo-liberal bash-o-thon.

Most of the white Democrats who left the Democratic Party left because of race. Full stop.  And yet you would white-wash that factoid out of your frame and argue that they left because of economic issue. Worst, you use "white voters" and  "working class people" as interchangeable terms. Not all white voters are working class and many and more working class people are not white.

There is a lot wrong with neo-liberal policy, but this post-Reagan policy is not why poor whites have been turning away from the Democratic Party since the Sixties. Race and racism is the driver of that movement and has been for over forty years. Race trumps any and all economic arguments in America. Many poor white folks vote consistently against their economic interests because the pull towards the myth of white supremacy is culturally stronger than any pocketbook issue.

I just can't take a critique of neo-liberal economics that white-washes race from our politics as a serious argument. It drives me nuts when "progressives" argue that society can make a "move to the left" without confronting race and the myth of white supremacy. Progressive arguments rooted in supporting that myth are especially frustrating.

Time to clean up DeLay's petri dish! Help CNMI guest workers find justice! Learn more at Unheard No More.

by dengre on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 10:28:37 PM PST

•  "Loyal Democratic voters" (4+ / 0-)

are leaving the Democratic Party because of things like Welfare Reform, NAFTA, GATT, FTPAA, extending our forces in Afghanistan, extending the kill lists and extending private armies conducting night raids and drone bombings, appointing people like Larry Summers and Rahm Emanuel to positions of power and crushing dissent and dissenters like Edward Snowden.

Race has nothing to do with it.

Most Democrats are sick and tired of people trying to make it all about race.

White, black and brown people will vote for Democrats who support white, black and brown people who work for a living.  We're not as racist as the people who make millions on the TeeVee make us out to be.

-9.50/-7.59 - "Why are the missiles called peace-keepers when they're aimed to kill?" -Tracy Chapman

by Situational Lefty on Mon Feb 17, 2014 at 10:46:05 PM PST

•  Re: (0+ / 0-)
         Most Democrats are sick and tired of people trying to make it all about race.
         It isn't just Republicans that feel that way.
           I don't understand how some people cannot see that pocketbook issues trump all other issues. Time and time again polls show it. Time and time again election results show it.
           Yet according to dengre they are all lying because they are just racists.

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann von Goethe

by gjohnsit on Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 09:33:32 AM PST

•  Indeed. (2+ / 0-)
      puakev, milkbone

And LBJ predicted it.

"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle" - Mohammed Nabbous, R.I.P.

by Lawrence on Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 03:55:13 AM PST

•  great points, although maybe overstated (3+ / 0-)

I think for a lot of white voters, it hasn't been so much the myth of white supremacy as the myth that Democrats pander to non-whites. But in practice that is a pretty subtle distinction. Race has to be a big part of the story.

"I am not sure how we got here, but then, I am not really sure where we are." -Susan from 29

by HudsonValleyMark on Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 04:22:57 AM PST

•  The racists bailed (2+ / 0-)
      puakev, chrisculpepper

back in the 60's. My impression is that the diarist was looking mostly at the Reagan Democrats who defected when the Gipper told us we could all be rich if we just pushed the government out of the way. Granted he played the Southern strategy card like a champ, but I knew a lot of non-racist white people who bought the economic message hook line and sinker...

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 06:01:55 AM PST

•  The exodus of white racists from the Democratic (1+ / 0-)
      gjohnsit

Party happened in the 70s and 80s. The loss of white voters currently has nothing to do with race.

•  I flat out don't agree (0+ / 0-)
      Full stop yourself. You have to make an effort to back up a claim like that.
         Has it ever occurred to you that calling all Republicans racist can be really insulting to people who aren't racist?
        And even worst, you basically call me racist. Why? Simply because I don't mention race. How f*cked up is that? Has it ever occurred to you that reflects more about your attitude than it does mine?
      I say "white" exactly once in my diary. I say "working-class" three times in my diary, and nowhere is it "interchangeable".
      To which I say "Duh!"
      Race trumps any and all economic arguments in America.
      Not only are you wrong, you are dead wrong. It shows very clearly that you don't understand your opposition. In fact, you probably don't even understand your allies.
      If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way about you.

by gjohnsit on Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 09:28:59 AM PST

•  Race caused whites to flee the Democratic Party (1+ / 0-)
      Lawrence

and liberalism.  Yet I also believe that behaving as Republican-lite has clearly failed to win those whites back.

My belief is that running to the left on economics won't win back older whites - but it can win the younger ones who poll after poll have shown are far more economically liberal than their elders.

That is why I agree with the diarist's bottom line, that the key for Democrats winning back working class whites is to run to the left economically, although I disagree with the diarist (and agree with you) about the reason why whites left in the first place.

"Those who have wrought great changes in the world never succeeded by gaining over chiefs; but always by exciting the multitude." - Martin Van Buren

by puakev on Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 10:47:55 AM PST