View Diary: Top Comments: Lighten up, Francis edition (82 comments)

•  How are you healing, lotac? (6+ / 0-)

It's nice to see you here.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:25:23 PM PST

•  Thanks (5+ / 0-)

I am a bit frustrated. My right eye, with the new lens implant, is seeing spectacularly for distance vision. Better than ever, literally. As expected, it is a bit fuzzy for close and reading, which will need a new prescription to correct at the end of the process.

The right eye is sending an image to my brain that is not only crisper, but maybe 10% larger than the left eye. This is due to the optical nature of my old glasses; my left eye still depends on those to see anything at all. (A lens implanted, vs. a lens suspended half an inch in front of the eye, give different optics.)

I cannot use both eyes at the same time. Severe headaches result. I am alternating between old glasses with right blacked out, cheap reading glasses for my right eye to read with, and no glasses at all for distance. All in all it is just weird and I have a lot of headaches. Buy stock in Tylenol.

Some of this comes to an end next Tuesday. That is when I go back for the left eye surgery, and left will catch up with the right in terms of compatible lens implants.

I should then expect to have excellent distance vision in both eyes, synchronized. But I am told to wait 5 or 6 weeks before getting tested for the new prescription for reading glasses. For that interval, I have to rely on the off the shelf reading glasses, not a perfect solution. I found that a 1.75 diopter reading glasses are more or less adequate, at least on the right so far. Last weekend, Costco was selling them 3 pairs for $12. Almost disposable at that price.

I do want to get back to normal but we're not there yet.

There's no such thing as a Free Information Kit. There is, however, advertising.

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:40:01 PM PST

•  Well, I'm glad you're on the mend. n/t (4+ / 0-)
        lotac, Steveningen, high uintas, Puddytat

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:46:28 PM PST

•  I'm so glad (4+ / 0-)
        commonmass, lotac, high uintas, Puddytat

they accelerated your surgery. I'll wager it will have a great impact on the headaches you're getting. Thanks for the update!

•  And thanks to Dog that the Canadian (4+ / 0-)
          lotac, Steveningen, high uintas, Puddytat

Death Panels didn't get him! /snark

Scott Thompson is on Colbert right now in our market. Hilarious. One of my favorite gay actors reprising his role as "Buddy Cole".

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:49:45 PM PST

•  2 weeks between surgeries is bad enough (4+ / 0-)

But 4 weeks, as originally scheduled, would drive me to chewing the furniture like a bad puppy.

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:55:47 PM PST

•  See? (4+ / 0-)
            commonmass, lotac, high uintas, Puddytat

You avoided getting swatted on the nose and get your vision tended to. Canada sounds like a dream.

•  But I look like I've been swatted on the nose (3+ / 0-)
              commonmass, Steveningen, Puddytat

Before getting up from the operating table, the last thing they did was put a clear plastic shell over the operated eye, and tape it in place with surgical tape. After the first day, I only need to re-install that for sleeping. It is to make sure that nothing comes in contact with the eye while sleeping, which could interfere with the healing process. I re-apply it every night for 2 weeks, as well as during the day when I have a nap.

I have been a bit careless with peeling off the tape from time to time. I just want to rip the damn stuff off. The resulting pulling on my skin has a similar effect to bruising: I think it ends up breaking some tiny blood vessels (not immediately at the eye, but further away where the tape anchors). It looks awful, like I've been in a fist fight.

I am slowly learning to peel the tape more carefully. This old dog is slow to learn new tricks.

Aren't you so glad we are having this chat?

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:14:55 PM PST

•  I am! When I am your age, here in the US (3+ / 0-)
                lotac, Steveningen, Puddytat

I'll be able to get that surgery and probably need it and it's good pointers. And it might even be on a national health service basis, by the time I need it. ;)

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:17:25 PM PST

•  As a matter of fact, yes (3+ / 0-)
                lotac, commonmass, Puddytat

You weren't asked after and then not expected to reply. Let your eye shell fly!

We've all had to deal with surgical tape and teeth pulling and nether-region exams. It's a very under-shared part of the human condition.  But you are among friends.

•  Nether-region exams can be fun (3+ / 0-)
                  commonmass, Steveningen, Puddytat

With the right examiner, of course.

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:26:59 PM PST

•  I'm hoping I get one this Sunday. (3+ / 0-)
                    lotac, Steveningen, Puddytat

After church, of course.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:28:09 PM PST

•  You should go to the church (3+ / 0-)
                      commonmass, Steveningen, Puddytat

Where Nathan Lane's character is a very horny priest, in the movie Jeffrey.

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:30:37 PM PST

•  I have probably played a recital there. n/t (3+ / 0-)
                        lotac, Steveningen, Puddytat

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:32:00 PM PST

•  Some day I may diary that movie (2+ / 0-)
                          commonmass, Puddytat

As an example of: can we make jokes when certain subjects are involved?

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:36:35 PM PST

•  You might apreciate this: (2+ / 0-)
                            lotac, Puddytat

Nathan Lane was in town on tour, I believe in "How to Succeed in Business", and it was an off night for him. So, he wandered into the only piano bar in Boston (the Napoleon Club was long closed at that time) and decided he wanted a drink. Well, Patrick and I were down at Fritz, a gay sports bar, watching a baseball game, when a real flaming queen friend of ours burst in to Fritz and said "Nathan Lane has commandeered the piano at Club Cafe! Run, Fast!" and up Dartmouth Street we ran. It was in October, so it was play-off Baseball. I love the Red Sox, but I was happy to miss the end of the game to see Nathan Lane in his element.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:44:28 PM PST

•  I would have done the same (2+ / 0-)
                            commonmass, Puddytat

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:46:12 PM PST

•  And speaking of Nathan Lane, and I should have (2+ / 0-)
                        lotac, Puddytat

brought this up in your diary the other day, but I met him, too. He kicked the nice piano lady off the bench at "Club Cafe" in Boston years ago and sang and played a set for us. My ex and I were down at a bar just down the street in Boston's South End and ran like banshees two blocks to get in and see it.

He is very short. I would also do him. Sorry, TMI.

We had a BLAST.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:34:42 PM PST

•  I left several other boldface names out (2+ / 0-)
                          commonmass, Puddytat

of that diary. Among them, Wolfgang Puck and Mario Batali, both of whom we met in their respective restaurants, and got each to autograph one of their books for us.

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:42:52 PM PST

•  I met Julia Child once when I was a kid. (2+ / 0-)
                            lotac, Puddytat

She used to frequent the Cheese Shop in Concord, MA, where I later worked, when I was a kid and my grandmother and I used to go in there nearly every Saturday. I couldn't have been more than 8 years old.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:46:02 PM PST

•  I would have loved to meet her (2+ / 0-)
                            commonmass, Puddytat

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:47:33 PM PST

•  Until she retired to California and her Cambridge, (2+ / 0-)
                            lotac, Puddytat

MA kitchen ended up, I think, at the Smithsonian, she was listed in the telephone book. People used to call her, and if she were at home, she would always take the calls. It's true: Julia Child's number was always listed in the phone book.

Which I find interesting, because she was an intelligence officer before she was a chef.

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:50:46 PM PST

•  I hope to visit that kitchen some day (2+ / 0-)
                            commonmass, Puddytat

I have read quite a bit about her, including her wartime job. And the painstaking process of moving and cataloging that kitchen and its contents from the house, to the Smithsonian.

However, Julia always refused the title of chef. She claimed to be a home cook, and a teacher/writer.

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 09:54:50 PM PST

•  Hence the fact that many people actually (2+ / 0-)
                            lotac, Puddytat

called her up at home and asked questions, and she always answered her phone.

She was a very tall woman, as I remember, about six feet or more, with what we would call a "trans-Atlantic accent" (think FDR) but always gracious. She patted me on my head.

When, many years later, I had re-located back to the place of my birth and went to work at that cheese shop part-time, the former owner (who was then running the wine shop and a door down a gourmet ecoutrement shop from which Julia had been able to find most of her French equipment to make her show) told the man he showed it to "Hire this man. Julia Child patted him on the head".

Pope Francis: the Thumb of Christ in the eyes of the Pharisees.

by commonmass on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 10:00:05 PM PST

•  Time for me to rest (past due). Cheers! (2+ / 0-)
                            commonmass, Puddytat

by lotac on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 10:04:07 PM PST

•  Some hints from a retired RN (0+ / 0-)

If you can, rotate your taping sites (i.e. don't tape the same places every day)

OR

Get paper tape from the drug store - not as indestructibly sticky as cloth surgical tape.

If you MUST use surgical tape, ask the pharmacist for liquid tape remover (yes, it exists) that gets applied with a cotton swab around the edges of the tape and under the tape to loosen it.  It's a bit time consuming, but it does save your skin from repeated application of tape.

Your great experience has reduced my anxiety about having this done when my cataracts "ripen".

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 10:23:38 PM PST