View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Wednesday (102 comments)

•  I have. I highly recommend it. Good for the soul (6+ / 0-)

and better for the taste buds.

Cake works, too.

:-D

I MISS CACTUSGAL!!!!!!!!!!!

by The Marti on Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 09:19:06 AM PST

•  Chocolate Chip cookies (Mom's recipe) (3+ / 0-)
      The Marti, foresterbob, diggerspop

... dipped in either whole milk or orange juice.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy....

[Caveat: this is NOT Yummy if you use the cardboard-flavored chocolate chip cookies one buys in the store.  It can only taste like ambrosia to one's taste buds if it's my mother's recipe and the chocolate chip cookies are homemade.]

:-)  Breakfast, lunch dessert, or bedtime snack.  I speak from experience.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

by NonnyO on Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 05:43:15 PM PST

•  I'm a Toll House girl, myself, but yes...they MUST (3+ / 0-)
        foresterbob, NonnyO, diggerspop

be homemade, with quality ingredients...butter, good chocolate chips, good nuts.

And they are best still warm from the oven.

nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Did I mention nom nom nom?

:-D

I MISS CACTUSGAL!!!!!!!!!!!

by The Marti on Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 06:24:52 PM PST

•  < faints from the memories > (2+ / 0-)
          The Marti, diggerspop

Of COURSE butter and all good quality ingredients!  As a person who was raised on a farm, there could not be good cooking without butter!  Jeeze.  Margarine (one molecule away from plastic!  Ugh!) does not pass these lips.

In fact, Mom's recipe starts out with 1 C. Butter (room temperature), 2 eggs, 1 C brown sugar (packed), 1 C wh sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, (then either 1 tsp baking soda and/or 1 tsp baking powder, or one is 1/2 tsp and the other 1 tsp - I always have to check the recipe for that part), 2 1/2 C flour, chopped walnuts (to taste - about 1 C), one bag of chocolate chips.  I think the original recipe had a six oz bag, but I use the 12 oz bag.

Flour is added after the first part of the ingredients are mixed together very well.  Then the chocolate chips and walnuts are mixed in by hand so as not to bruise them.

Roll them by hand (slightly larger than a walnut so the baked cookie fits nicely into a glass), place on cookie sheet, bake one pan at a time in the center of the oven at 350 for around 8-10 minutes.  The yield should be a cookie that is slightly crispy around the edges, chewy, and is of a sufficiently golden color to look appetizing.

Did I mention lots of chocolate chips are also essential?  I like vanilla taste so sometimes I add an extra tsp of vanilla.

Oh, and if the butter is too soft to start with (it can't be hard, but also not at the point of melting - just room temp), one might have to refrigerate the dough for an hour or two so the cookies don't spread out too much when baked.  These are things I've discovered through the years of baking chocolate chip cookies and errors made while doing so.

Okay, now that I've soaked three drool towels....

by NonnyO on Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 07:19:45 PM PST

•  and to think i was about to go to sleep. not NOW, (2+ / 0-)
            NonnyO, diggerspop

of course.  NOW i have to go clean up.  and try not to think about those wonderful cookies!!

I use a large bag of chips and more vanilla, as well.  And it has to be "real" vanilla....none of that  imitation stuff.

I think we have very similar ideas of what makes "good food"....it comes from being raised right.  heh.

How's your CC doing?  Give her purrs and scritchies from us...even though HLOS is being a p.i.a. at the moment.  He "thinks" he should be fed kibble...and he's wrong.  I shouldn't have to outstubborn a cat this close to bedtime! lol lol

Hugs,
            Marti and ol' poopyhead

I MISS CACTUSGAL!!!!!!!!!!!

by The Marti on Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 07:36:37 PM PST

•  :-D CC is stretched out - sleeping... (2+ / 0-)
              diggerspop, The Marti

... on my warm bed (electric throw/blankie under the spread).  She didn't even twitch when I reached over to pet her.  I'm under the electric blankie and covers staying warm.

Yup.  Has to be real food, not over-fertilized or over-pesticized or over-antibioticized [if those are new words, I claim first use!].  The older I get, the less food tastes like food we raised or grew ourselves on the farm.  One serving at a local chain restaurant a few years ago featured carrots that had all the consistency of rubber.  Ugh.

I'm settling in to watch The Bridge on Hulu.  Swedish-Danish TV series, English subtitles.  It's been interesting so far.

Scritches to HLOS from CC & me, and Hugs to both of you!  [No, you shouldn't have to outstubborn a cat this late in the evening.  I know felines are mostly nocturnal, but they will get the oddest notions in their heads sometimes...!]  :-D

Sleep well...!