View Diary: GUS - Giving Up Smoking - Open Thread - Loosely Tied (60 comments)

•  Glad I Found This (8+ / 0-)

I like to tell people if they need any advice on quitting smoking they should talk to me because I've quit 5,000 times. And of course always went back to smoking.

But as of right now I've enrolled in a quitting program offered by my state and have selected 2/28 as my quit date. And the reason for the delay is because I'm waiting for the delivery of nicotine patches.

I don't know if that is going to work but I'm going to try it.

I also tried Chantex about a year and a half ago because I had to have neck surgery and my doctors convinced me that smoking would really impede my recovery and bone growth. And the chantex worked and I did quit but unfortunately as soon as I recovered I started smoking again.

Which wasn't as disappointing to me as the time I had quit smoking for more than four years and thought I had it whipped. So whipped I thought I could smoke just one cigarette one night while I was driving across the Nevada Desert. Man, was I wrong about that. All it took to hook me again is that one.

So this turns out to be a very fortunate and helpful diary for me and I plan on checking it daily and seek support and let the rest of you know how I'm doing. This could be a big help to me.

Collect Different Days

by Homers24 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 08:12:21 AM PST

•  Hi Homers24 (6+ / 0-)

we welcome anyone, but especially those who has been affected by smoking.

There's usually an active diary going, and the schedule is accurate for the most part. I see you've decided to follow the tag which is great, it will put all new entries in your stream. And going back through the older entries opens up a wealth of quality info, and showcases how great & diverse a group we are.

I'd like to add your name to the Buddy List above, if it's all right with you. It's a roll call of everyone who's agreed to give and receive support here, but it's entirely up to you. We're not pushy or judgmental. Whatever you decide is ok.

I have positive thoughts and energy flowing your way for the 28th, and wish you the best. Stop in as frequently as you'd like and let us know how things are going. We can help ya, and cheer you on whether it's going rough or going great.

"this house believes in skyscrapers"

by anodnhajo on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 08:51:39 AM PST

•  Add Me To The Buddy List (6+ / 0-)

You certainly have my permission to add my name to the buddy list. And I do intend to keep stopping in and hopefully quit smoking. But I also really like your attitude of not being pushy or judgmental even towards people who try to quit and fail. I noticed that right off the bat and that seems very helpful to me.

So thanks for everything already and that will be much more true if I can successfully quit this time.

Collect Different Days

by Homers24 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 09:54:27 AM PST

•  That "I can smoke just one after all these years", (5+ / 0-)

did me in TWICE. Because I am a real idiot. I made it 3 years once and 4 years another time. I am very happy I found GUS because it has helped me immensely on this nearly 3 years successful quit. I still want one sometimes but admit to myself I would almost certainly start up again at full pack-a-day speed, instantly. I don't dare ever take that chance.....but thank goodness and GUS the cravings are not very strong or long lasting.

There is no they, We will sink or swim together.... We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness

by GDbot on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 10:11:51 AM PST

•  What An Addiction (5+ / 0-)

I will reluctantly admit I've had more than my fair share of drug experience over the course of my life. But somehow never managed to get in any real addiction trouble over it and could (and did) quit anytime I wanted to.

But that has not been the case with tobacco. In my experience at least its the most addictive and hardest to quit substance I've ever encountered in my life.

And that goes across the board. Another one of my failed attempts was thinking I could quit smoking by taking up snuff (as in chewing tobacco). Yeah, well that actually worked. I did give up cigarette smoking. With the only problem being that I chewed 24 hours a day. And I mean I'd load up a chew before I laid down to go to sleep at night and have it in my mouth all night.

Now that's an addiction at its extreme.

Collect Different Days

by Homers24 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 04:17:32 PM PST

•  You are now up there and welcome :-) (5+ / 0-)

Most of us have quit a number of times, and used a variety of methods to achieve (or not) success. It's definitely a process, and involves changing so much more than just the act of lighting up. Feel free to share at the level you're comfortable with, and don't be shy asking about what's worked (or not) for others. We really can help.

"this house believes in skyscrapers"

by anodnhajo on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 12:07:21 PM PST

•  I Will Try To Use Your Support (5+ / 0-)

Because its a little harder now.

After all my failed attempts in my 40's I just happened to catch it on the bounce and quit cold turkey. But I had two things going for me. One was my chewing tobacco experience where I simulated it by just putting a piece of cotton ball in my lip which somehow worked almost just like chew right down to wearing a sore in my lip.

But the other thing was i got into weight lifting to fight off the cravings and accidentally ended up in my mid 40's being the strongest and in the best physical shape I'd ever been in my life.

Unfortunately, however, shortly thereafter I was permanently injured and disabled in an accident at work. And even though I managed to sneak back into the oilfields and work another 10 years I haven't had a day without pain for about 15 years. Which is the part that actually worries me. The pain will wake me up almost every night after about four hours of sleep. And when it does I have to get up and hit the couch and of course when I do the first thing I grab is a cigarette. I'm going to have to find something to fill that space because it tends to be a really lonely time.

But I'll work on that even if its still stepping outside (because I quit smoking inside the house about 4 years ago) and sucking on a straw or something even when its below zero.

Collect Different Days