View Diary: Is That a Gun in Your Hand or Are You Just Trying to Change the Channel? (320 comments)

•  Why would a black market in guns be a problem? (2+ / 0-)
    jpmassar, twigg

Most of the innocent people who are killed by guns are killed by relatives or ex-husbands or suburban high school kids.

In fact, if guns had been banned, I doubt Adam Lanza's mother would  a home arsenal to use hobby shooting with her psychotic son.

The U.S. would be much safer for everyone if only outlaws had guns.

Gun advocates like you are responsible for Newtown. Own it.

Obama: Pro-Pentagon, pro-Wall Street, pro-drilling, pro-fracking, pro-KXL, pro-surveillance. And the only person he prosecuted for the U.S. torture program is the man who revealed it. Clinton: More of the same.

by expatjourno on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 01:33:13 PM PST

•  I liked your earlier point ... (2+ / 0-)
      expatjourno, jpmassar

"If only the criminals had guns, the country would be a safer place"

A truly excellent observation.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
      but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 07:24:23 PM PST

•  Thank you. I don't know why it has taken so long.. (2+ / 0-)
        twigg, jpmassar

...for any of us to come up with that simple response to "If guns were outlawed, only outlaws would have guns."

I've been arguing for gun control—or an outright ban—for years, but this argument only occurred to me a few hours ago.

"Only outlaws will have guns"? Yes, and? How is that a problem?

Can't wait to see all the sputtering next time I argue with a gun nut. Of course, having no other response, he might shoot me. So it's a little risky.

by expatjourno on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:21:29 PM PST

•  When they outlawed handguns in the UK (2+ / 0-)
          jpmassar, expatjourno

we also had some who then claimed that only the criminals would have guns.

The best answer was to reply that it would make the police job easier, because everyone with a gun was a criminal.

It's a different world though, because handguns were always so tightly regulated that very few people have them, and that include most police officers. I know, it's freaky :)

It's a curious thing, that in the US many criminals go about their business armed, for self-protection either from other criminals, or their victims.

When a burglar breaks into your house, he wants your stuff. The last thing he wants is to meet a homeowner, but just in case he does, and the homeowner is armed, he takes along a gun.

Irony abounds.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
          but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 08:28:16 PM PST

•  indeed, the vast majority of murder victims in the (1+ / 0-)
            twigg

US are killed by people they know. The gun-nut fantasy of a homicidal stranger breaking into their home so shoot him omigod!!!!, virtually never happens.

And yes, when a stranger breaks into your home, the odds are overwhelming that he wants your TV, not your life. Me, I'd happily let him have my TV, and help him carry it out.  No TV is worth a gunfight.

I find the whole superhero ninja fantasies of the gun nuts, bizarre.

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 07:58:57 AM PST

•  Fantasy expanded. (1+ / 0-)
              expatjourno

Then there's the gun nut wet-dream of several gangsters breaking into their home in the middle of the night pretending to be burglars.  I say 'pretending' because they are heavily armed with both hands wrapped tightly around their automatic weapons, clearly making it very difficult for them to rifle through drawers looking for the family jewels.

And because this scenario can happen at any time to any law-abiding patriot, one must have their own assault rifle, locked-and-loaded so they can blast those mofos all to the hot place by firing blindly into the darkness with their magic bullets that have been specially made to recognize the DNA signature of friends and family.

"The French have no word for entrepreneur!" G. W. Bush