View Diary: Cartoon: The gun (302 comments)

•  Simplistic misrepresentation (20+ / 0-)

The cartoon uses multiple panels, as all my cartoons do, to make the point that -- as someone else said in this thread -- the availability of a tool affects the decisions its owner makes.  That seems to strike a nerve with you, but honestly, I've been far more condescending and dismissive of conservative thought than I am in this cartoon.  This is really just about my anger and outrage at a specific tragedy.

•  Sort of agreement (2+ / 0-)
      Tominator, FrankRose

There is an old saying of "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail", and clearly there are people who apply this to firearms. Add in a dollop of racism, anger and economic insecurity and add a dash of genuine Beck™ brand conservative agitprop and you've got all the seasoning you need for a half-baked tragedy.

But I have to agree with candid psychiatrist that your "hammer" in this case swung a little wide and hard. Something like 30% of all gun owners are Democrats, which is probably a much, much bigger percentage than are pro-choice, anti-same sex marriage, anti-immigration or other things we consider "conservative litmus tests".

So your dismissiveness is not simply against "conservative thought", but as you may have seen from the minority viewpoint, insulting to a good chunk of the liberal side as well. But if it is really just venting and it helps you, then artist's prerogative and all that...

•  well I think (5+ / 0-)

it is a great cartoon both funny and serious at the same time.

It tackles a serious subject, making a valid suggestion.

The internet is crazy. It is like people arguing about what kind of cheese to throw at a portrait, in order to destroy it completely

by GideonAB on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 12:34:37 PM PST

•  I appreciate your cartoon (4+ / 0-)
          Glen The Plumber, atana, nota bene, Smoh

The fact that it seems to have struck a nerve with the gun nuts tells me it is very effective. Sometimes the truth hurts.

+++ The law is a weapon used to bludgeon us peasants into submission. It is not to be applied to the monied elite.

by cybersaur on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 01:07:15 PM PST

•  Which in the case of Florida (2+ / 0-)
          slatsg, FrankRose

included every Democrat in the Florida Senate (39 out of 40 anyway, I think 1 was out of town). Not that I expect that to change your opinion in the slightest.

But let me ask you this. Rhode Island, an undeniably blue state, is just down the road from Newtown. Rhode Island also has a "Stand your ground" law, one that predates the ALEC-written Florida one by a few decades but nonetheless has the "presumption of self-defense" and "no duty to retreat" language (and as best I can tell, no movement to repeal it and no Kossacks bitching about how it is implemented). Do you think that if a white guy emptied a pistol into a car full of black youths, that a Rhode Island jury would buy the excuse that he felt his very life was threatened by the loud music and had no choice but to open fire?

If you think that a jury in a dark blue northeast state might have seen things a little differently than the Florida one did, then you're admitting that it isn't entirely about the law, since the same sort of law would have generated a verdict you agree with, when applied by and interpreted by a set of people you probably identify more closely with. It is more than the letter of the law, it is also the culture that is arresting, trying and judging with that law.

I think TMW history adequately demonstrates that any legal excuse can be used for bad ends by bad people if the overall system supports their actions. Or so I am led to believe by my good friend Droney, for whom I have the utmost respect and nothing to hide from (of course).

To each their own. Be seeing you next week...

•  satire (7+ / 0-)

is often wide.

I do not see anything wrong with that.

The target here is not people but the seductive nature of guns.

by GideonAB on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 12:17:09 PM PST

•  And the seductinve nature of violent (6+ / 0-)

revenge fantasies.

Mr. Dunn was arrested because he was so secure in his bigotry and self-hypnosis, that he waived his miranda rights, waived his right have an attorney present, and one of the first thing he told the police, "They didn't listen to me. What was I supposed to do?"

If he wasn't so arrogant and deluded he would have kept his mouth shut until he had an attorney present. His attorney would have never let him make that admission, and he very well may have been acquitted.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” — William Arthur Ward

by LilithGardener on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 01:51:30 PM PST

•  Well, why should we not provoke Democrats, (3+ / 0-)
        nota bene, Smoh, enufenuf

too? Just because someone is a Democrat doesn't mean that they need to be treated with kid gloves.

In any case, I think it is fair to say that the adamant defense of guns absolutely is an instance of conservative thought. It is a case of the successful inculcation of conservative values in otherwise liberal voters.

Nothing requires a greater effort of thought than arguments to justify the rule of non-thought. -- Milan Kundera

by Dale on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 01:46:18 PM PST

•  You better learn what 'liberal gun policy' means. (1+ / 0-)
          Tominator

Quick hint: It means the same as 'liberal drug policy', 'liberal abortion policy' or 'liberal [any word] policy'.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Mon Feb 24, 2014 at 06:55:54 PM PST

•  Meaning what, exactly? (1+ / 0-)
            Smoh

I'm not sure I follow you.

Liberal [anything] policy is the stance that liberals take on a position. Liberal abortion policy is pretty clearly in favor of women's reproductive rights. Liberal drug policy (though not always Democratic drug policy) is, as I see it, a socially libertarian view on drugs.

And liberal gun policy is polarized in precisely this same way. Liberal-progressives in large part -- I think I can state this without fear of error -- lean towards gun control and regulation.

Liberals prefer regulation in a whole lot of cases. We call for regulation of the financial sector, so as to not permit a Wild West environment on Wall Street. We regulate industrial output, so as to protect the environment. We regulate safety standards, so as to ensure that workers can thrive in a safe and clean environment.

"Liberal" in the classic 19th century version of the word may have meant libertarian, but I don't think it has for some time. "Liberal" doesn't just mean "anything goes." Liberals, like conservatives, are in favor of regulating some things, and deregulating others: conservatives prefer to deregulate business, but they insist on regulating our naughty bits. Liberals hold the opposite view. The idea that "liberal" means a down-the-line libertarian deregulation of all things doesn't hold water.

by Dale on Tue Feb 25, 2014 at 09:05:05 AM PST

•  It is also a synonym (0+ / 0-)

As in (per the interwebs), a liberal serving of potatoes; a liberal translation; a liberal coat of paint; etc. etc.

In these cases, it translates to "generous", "bountiful" or "munificent". It's not all about liberal politics.

•  Another good point (4+ / 0-)

First off, let me have my fan boy moment. I have taken great inspiration, solace, and some angst inducing realization from your graphic commentaries.

I think the other important motif in this cartoon is the NRA spreading the "culture of fear" along with its myth that everyone can be just like Bruce Willis and other movie heroes and stop the bad guys in their tracks.