View Diary: Krugman Spins It A Bit In: “The Stimulus Tragedy” (134 comments)

•  Let me spell it out for you... (8+ / 0-)

I.c.e.l.a.n.d.

They didn't say:

"But that's all water under the bridge."

They jailed the bastards.

And their country survived the terrorist shakedown.

"The government bailed out the people and imprisoned the the banksters."

"The opposite of what America and the rest of Europe did."

~Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson, President of Iceland

by gerrilea on Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 06:15:42 AM PST

•  First off, the quote is a fake. (6+ / 0-)

Which should have been obvious. You really think a head of state would directly insult an allied head of state like that?

Secondly, no, that's a myth. Very few people here went to jail for the financial crisis, and only for explicit, enron-style fraud, the exact same sort of stuff the US jails people for. The overwhelming majority of those who caused the crisis here got off scott free and are still living the high life. Ask Björgólfur Thor how much he's suffering these days. Poor baby, I'm sure he cries himself to sleep at nights sleeping in a billion dollar pile of cash.

And FYI, things aren't as rosy here, financially, as you all keep insisting. Where to start, how about when they hacked off a third of all federal spending in austerity, and how 6 years later they're still cutting more?

The day I'll consider justice blind is the day that a rape defendent's claim of "She consented to the sex" is treated by the same legal standards as a robbery defendent's claim of "He consented to give me the money": as an affirmative defense.

by Rei on Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 06:43:03 AM PST

•  Are you sure this posting is meant for me? (6+ / 0-)

From what we've been privy to via the Snowden releases and the leaked phone conversations we've heard about...I absolutely believe the current President of Iceland would say exactly that.

Did we jail anyone like the Prime Minister here in the US, as they did in Iceland?

Are they not rewriting their constitution?

See the table at the link.

Björgólfur Thor is being protected by the British gov't, that's why he fled there.  And isn't the British gov't still trying to extract billions from Iceland?

by gerrilea on Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 07:15:04 AM PST

•  Going to Iceland in April, I'll check the bankster (1+ / 0-)
          gerrilea

situation out for you.

•  Not like it will matter... (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

but here's something for you to do: stop 10 random Icelanders on the street and ask them whether any of that "Iceland jailed the bankers, got a new constitution, and threw the old prime minister in jail" - is true. Then come back here and report on your findings.

Not like it'll matter. There recently was a thread which was full of DKers with no connection to Iceland, and four people with connections to Iceland (I live in Iceland, one married someone from Iceland, another has family members in Iceland, etc). Every last one of the four with connections to Iceland was saying that the situation in Iceland is not at all like Kossacks keep reporting it. Everyone else, with no connection to Iceland, was insisting that they're wrong and uprating each other's completely false statements about Iceland.

It gets maddening sometimes.

by Rei on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 03:04:06 AM PST

•  Really? Don't believe your lieing eyes, believe (1+ / 0-)
          AlexDrew
          the Snowden releases
          ?

Just...wow.

•  ??? "lieing" or should it be "lying"??? (0+ / 0-)

Are the Snowden documents fake?

Are the reports of the leaked phone conversations too?

Give me something to work with here please.

by gerrilea on Fri Feb 21, 2014 at 08:37:44 PM PST

•  Your 'quote' (0+ / 0-)

Is not from the Snowden documents. It's an internet meme. It never happened.

by Rei on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 05:08:46 AM PST

•  Do you actually live in Iceland? (0+ / 0-)

Were you personally effected by the banking collapse?

How badly were you personally effected by all of these crimes?

You see, that collapse brought me to the brink of homelessness.  I was so desperate I had to give up my kitties...I couldn't afford to feed them anyfuckinmore!!!!!!!

If it wasn't for the great friends and associates here on DK I'd be dead!

I'm personally making 1/3 what I was 6 yrs ago...I live from paycheck to paycheck.  Our "social safety nets" are meaningless, I make $9 and that's too much for any help.  I haven't gotten my natural gas bill for this past month yet...but I already know it's going to be higher than I can afford...the simple choice will be...pay the gas company and don't eat or freeze to death.  I may be able to "make payments", I'm not sure yet.

The reality is there are millions of Americans  just like me, many even worse...Millions more worldwide that have been destroyed by these bankster's crimes.  They're still trying to privatize everything, so they can do to us what they did to your country, Spain, Greece, et al!

What's the suicide rate in your nation today?

Suicide rates in the United States have risen sharply since the economic crisis took hold in 2007

-cut-

Similar rises in suicide rates have also been found in Greece, Spain, Britain and other countries hit by economic recession and rising unemployment in recent years.

by gerrilea on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 02:18:51 PM PST

•  Yes, I live in Iceland. (1+ / 0-)
                  RiveroftheWest

Yes, among other things my fiance lost his house.

How bad am I affected? Well, gee, for starters, my salary  (and everyone else's) is effectively half of what it was due to the collapsed currency (still just as badly as immediately after the crash) , the public healthcare system has been cut by a third, along with all other government services, from roads to unemployment (which my fiance is currently on), and on and on. Gee, djathink I'm affected?

"You see, that collapse brought me to the brink of homelessness."

Which is an excuse to lie about Iceland and get indignant when you're corrected how...?

" Our "social safety nets" are meaningless,"

All of this sort of stuff you're writing is an excellent argument for why America needs to join the rest of the world in having a proper social safety net. It has absolutely nothing to do, however, with how governments responded to the crisis, and does not change any of the facts about what Iceland actually did in response to the crisis. America didn't have a social safety net before the crisis and doesn't after. We did before and after (although it's been very badly slashed by the austerity... still more than you all got, though)

Want America to get a proper social safety net? You've got my best wishes! I'm not the person to rail about that to, go find some conservative acquiantances or family members to persuade. I'm here to stop the BS mythology about Iceland's response to the crisis.

by Rei on Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 03:16:14 AM PST

•  First off, it's not 'they' (1+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest

It's 'you all'. I live in Iceland.

The quote IS fake. I'm sorry, but he never said that or anything like it. And again, you'd be an idiot to think that a leader of a country would make a public statement like that against one of their closest allies. What low-level diplomats say in private being completely irrelevant to public statements of your head of state. Stop being so damned gullible.

You may also be interested to know that good old King Ólafur was the best friend of the útrásarvíkingar (read: "banksters") before the crash. Here's an example for you (translation mine):

In a letter from Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson to Björgfur Thor in the summer of 2002, which has now been published on the front page of the prime minister's office, the presient (Ólafur) says that Björgólfur and son are an exceptional example for other Icelanders who are trying for success overseas. Ólafur Ragnar had then been in a public visit to Russia and Björgólfur Thor, who was a state counsel in St Petersberg, be on hand for the visit.

Ólafur lauded Björgólfur Thor in the letter and thanked him heartily for all the assistance and "warm reception" which Björgólfur THor had showed the president in the visit to Russia. The president visited likewise the famous Bravo factory which the father and son sold for 400 million dollars and Landsbankinn purchased for a portion of the proceeds at the end of 2002. The father and son had, to that extent, begun to push for Landsbankinn at the privatization committee. In the previous year they had also been involved in the lawsuit against Ingimar H Ingimarsson, their former business associate, about ownership of the Bravo factory

The president says in the letter: "It was memorable to come to that wonderful factory with you two in St. Petersberg and get to see with my own eyes the bold buisness accomplishments which you have achieved by building up their operations. The perseverence and determination which showed in your operations in the Russian business environment, sometimes in troublesome times, is an exceptional examaple for all the young people who are trying for success in economics and business." said the president in the letter to Björgólfs, but their businesses in the country had long been highly suspect, as was covered in a series of articles by Halldór Halldórsson in DV recently.

No, Haarde was not jailed. They tried to press charges, it turned into a giant poltical circus, and he got off with a slap on the wrist. It was a disaster.

The crowd-sourced constitution meme is also BS. There was a committee which wrote a draft constitution. They had a facebook site which took suggestions, but these were in no way, shape or form binding - it was merely an idea drop box. The draft, in turn, was completely non-binding on what would be the final bill. The final bill, in turn, was successfully filibustered and killed by the right wing, who was then subsequently elected to run the country again.

There are no charges against Björgólfur or 99% of the other útrásarvíkingar that caused the crisis.

Yes, foreign news coverage of Iceland is generally crap*. Liberal blogs commenting on foreign news coverage of Iceland 5 times moreso. I hate to spoil your dreams, but Iceland is not the capitalism-abolishing anarcholiberal paradise you envision.

* - Most recent annoying example: the environmental protest against road construction on Álfsnes. It was almost universally covered overseas as "a protest to protect elf homes". Aaargh.... can you picture how maddening that would be if the foreign press couldn't get a story about where you live right to save their lives?

by Rei on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 02:58:03 AM PST

•  Sorry for the boldface (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

That was a misparse on the part of DK.

by Rei on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 03:00:31 AM PST

•  Sorry for the boldface (0+ / 0-)

That was a misparse on the part of DK.

by Rei on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 03:00:55 AM PST

•  Stop calling me an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!! (0+ / 0-)

If you don't like my grammar, don't read what I post.

Both Forbes and The Economist have stated your nation has prosecuted many of those involved.

I provided a link above, is that information in error???

Here's another:

“We were wise enough not to follow the traditional prevailing orthodoxies of the Western financial world in the last 30 years. We introduced currency controls, we let the banks fail, we provided support for the poor, and we didn’t introduce austerity measures like you’re seeing in Europe.”
            YOU MIGHT WANT TO TELL THE EDITORIAL BOARD AT FORBES ABOUT YOUR "FACTS"!

Internet meme, indeed!

Your bullshit that I allegedly wished or stated Iceland was a capitalistic bashing nation....is just that BULLSHIT...

Grow up and stop making things up, its insulting and offensive to legitimate discussion here.

Every American is on the hook for all the debt those bastards created and profited from...

YOU ARE NOT!

This is the problem we're facing, in this corrupt country:

Heinrich Honsell, a law professor, sees the use of Untreue recently in commercial cases as a disturbing phenomenon. “It’s not right to criminalise negligent mistakes,” he says. “Very soon judges will be telling us how to manage risk.” Opponents of the idea of a law against reckless management warn that the effect would be to discourage risk-taking of any sort.
            Bullshit...it's all bullshit.  If I get into a car accident and kill someone, I'm gonna be charged with homicide, if it was truly an accident, negligent homicide would be the charge.

I made a bad decision...I hurt someone...I get charged for it.

But no, if you do so in business, INTENTIONALLY, you get invited to the goddamn White House!

"Steal 4.5 million homes, get dinner at the White House, steal an education for your homeless child...got to jail for 10 yrs!"

by gerrilea on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 01:56:04 PM PST

•  I suggest you check your eyesight (0+ / 0-)

Because the quote you posted from Forbes is not the quote you posted above.

Now, do you want to discuss the different quote above, where he doesn't directly insult the US? Sure! Wow, shock of all shocks, a head of state is trying to play up the country under his tenure! Why, color me purple, that never happens. I remember your typical State of the Union Address in the US. "Ladies and Gentlemen: I've run this country into the ground. The country has made the wrong decisions at every turn and things are going down the tube - and it's all my fault. Thank you and god bless!". Isn't that how they usually go?

Yes, Ólafur, best friend of the útrásarvíkingur, who spent years talking them up and saying how wonderful the Icelandic economy was because of them, has done his best step turn and pretends to oppose them, while all the while working to undermine actual progressive legislation like the new constitution bill that was successfully filibustered during the last term.

The entire second half of your post has absolutely nothing to do with me, so go find someone else to rant to about that. I'm hear to correct your misinformation about Iceland.

NO, we did not "jail the banksters", only a tiny handfull went to jail and only for outright Enron-style fraud.
              NO, we did not jail our previous prime minister, he got off with a slap on the wrist
              NO, we did not get a new constitution
              NO, we did not refuse to pay our debts
              NO, we did not avoid austerity, we took some of the worst austerity in Europe
              NO, everything is not peachy here like you seem to think
              NO, Ólafur is not some progressive hero, and NO, he did no say what you wrote in your first post, and YES, you'd have to be an idiot to think a head of state would directly insult one of their closest allies like that.

by Rei on Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 03:08:53 AM PST