View Diary: RKBA: Shall issue comes to Cali (138 comments)

•  Not to my knowledge. (9+ / 0-)

I've been using it for years when I talk about California. I know I've used it in conversation before I was even a Kossack so....*shrug*

•  Massa! (0+ / 0-)

I'm from the Elizabeth Warren wing of the Democratic Party

by voicemail on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 01:59:52 PM PST

•  KV - I like to use CA, the shorthand (7+ / 0-)

the Post Offices uses. Cali isn't something that us natives would ever use.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 07:59:50 PM PST

•  I live close to Canada, hence my not using CA. nt (4+ / 0-)
        •  But it says you're not from anywhere around here (0+ / 0-)

and don't understand our culture.

When you use that term to opine about what's best for our state, it really feels like you're an outsider trying to inflict your outside values on us. I dunno, it feels, what's the word? Carpetbagger-ish...

I lived in WA for years and writing about Canada, we either abbreviate the specifice province (BC, AB, ON, etc) or write out "Canada." It's never been confusing.

Just some insight if you want to be a little more persuasive. Your choice.

© grover

by grover on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 11:48:27 PM PST

•  But isn't that what you want done for the (6+ / 0-)

entire nation?  To have us all follow the rules you wish us to???

You "don't understand our culture."

by gerrilea on Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 02:27:53 AM PST

•  Oh what issue? (0+ / 0-)

LGBT rights? Women's rights? Human rights?

Yeah. I do. There is a huge groundswell for those. And the courts are standing behind those positions.

Otherwise, not sure what you're talking about.

Perhaps you confuse me with other members here?

© grover

by grover on Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 10:03:32 AM PST

•  Didn't you say this? (1+ / 0-)
                Kasoru
                But it says you're not from anywhere around here and don't understand our culture.

The US is not only California and New York...and I say that as a New Yorker.

Our States once led this nation, not anymore.  Here in NY the damn police have more legal protections than the citizens.  Here in NY, the police can summarily seize your property without a court order.  Here in NY, if you have a mental "illness", you can summarily be denied rights without "due process".

In your State, if you don't pay your parking tickets or toll violations "promptly", your right to keep and bear arms is summarily denied.

You keep expanding your list of prohibited users and poof, no more citizens with any rights.

This is not leadership, it's criminal.

by gerrilea on Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 03:30:53 PM PST

•  Doesn't fly with me. (0+ / 0-)

I think gun owners should be responsible.

I think dog owners should be responsible too. So should property owners.

License your dog. Pay your property taxes. Don't blow through tolls (go the long way around and/or take the heavily trafficked interstate instead of the shortcut toll road). Don't park where you're not supposed to.

Sheeze. It's not like it's that hard. We aren't talking about a poll tax: a fee for simply being a citizen.

Be a responsible citizen.

I really don't understand why it's that hard.

(And before you go there, yes, I realize that the Constitution doesn't have the right to own a dog or a home included therein.  But my point stands: if you're blowing off tolls -- and then ignore a violation notice -- maybe you're not quite enough responsible enough to own a gun.

And here's the funny thing: virtually all drivers on the roads pay their tolls instantly via cash or transponder -- instant debit from their account -- as they pass the tollbooth. When someone blows it off,  he isn't ripping off a great amorphous entity called "The State." He's ripping off each and every one of us who pays.

We citizens are the state. We use that money for traffic-relieving projects as well as earthquake  retrofitting.

Both of these are critically important to California. We don't have mass transit like other states, and most places don't have earthquakes like we do in the west coast.

So yeah, when people blow off paying tolls, it matters.)

© grover