View Diary: RKBA: Shall issue comes to Cali (138 comments)

•  That's a really dickish thing to say.... (9+ / 0-)

.... maybe you ought to consider walking it back a bit?

BTW, no Judge entered the decision making process for Mr. Hannity, his license was issued by the City of New York, which means the decision was rendered by NYPD.

Second point: You don't need a carry license to commit suicide.

There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap box, ballot box, jury box and ammo box. Use in that order.

by Crookshanks on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 12:07:26 PM PST

•  You don't even need a gun to commit suicide. (2+ / 0-)
      liberalguy, splashy

But it really is very efficient. If you were to have second thoughts, after the bullet there is no way back. Carbon Monoxide poisoning, overdose, etc - still a way back.

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

by peterfallow on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 12:13:18 PM PST

•  I'd suggest we find out why we're creating (9+ / 0-)

suicidal citizens in the first place and then let's work together to help them.

That is, if the goal were ACTUALLY save lives.

by gerrilea on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 01:32:25 PM PST

•  Maybe guns should come with warning labels (3+ / 0-)
          tytalus, liberalguy, splashy

Like Prozac.

Tell the doctor immediately if you notice worsening depression/other psychiatric conditions, unusual behavior changes (including possible suicidal thoughts/attempts), or other mental/mood changes (including new/worsening anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, hostile/angry feelings, impulsive actions, severe restlessness, very rapid speech). Be especially watchful for these symptoms when a new antidepressant is started or when the dose is changed.
          Put down the gun immediately if you notice worsening depression/other psychiatric conditions, unusual behavior changes (including possible suicidal thoughts/attempts), or other mental/mood changes (including new/worsening anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, hostile/angry feelings, impulsive actions, severe restlessness, very rapid speech). Be especially watchful for these symptoms when a gun is within easy reach.

Now they have the 2nd (safety net for sloppy) Amendment, and can't be infringed to actually treat their gun like a gun and not a video game controller.

by 88kathy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 03:31:59 PM PST

•  Irrelevant. (6+ / 0-)
        I support your right to end your life with whatever means you deem most appropriate, so long as you don't endanger others whilst doing so.

My body, my choice, right?

by Crookshanks on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 01:47:23 PM PST

•  Some suicide I don't support. (3+ / 0-)
          tytalus, grover, splashy
          Suicide is the third leading cause of death for young people aged 15-24 year olds.
          (1st = accidents, 2nd = homicide)

Suicide is the fifth leading cause of death for young people aged 5-14 year olds.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students.

Every day, 22 veterans take their own lives. That's a suicide every 65 minutes. As shocking as the number is, it may actually be higher.
          While your reference to women controlling the biology of their body may seem clever to you. Suicide is not a biological function.

by 88kathy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 03:20:24 PM PST

•  Your body, your choice. (8+ / 0-)

As far as this:

Suicide is not a biological function.
            Homo sapiens are blessed with the ability to override their biological impulses.  I can think of a multitude of reasons why I might choose to take my own life.  Who are you to take that choice away from me?

by Crookshanks on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 03:31:59 PM PST

•  Wow, I never thought I'd see the day that (0+ / 0-)

someone in this community actually argued how desirable to the human condition suicide is, that it should be a "right."

You know what? There are a lot of people here who have lost parents, siblings, spouses and even children to suicide. I know who many of these members are. I know the stories of what it was like to find the bodies, the guilt, the grief, the anger, the agony.

I know the the loss and emptiness that never ever ends.

Your comments are so remarkably crass and cruel, I don't even know where to begin.

And RKBA community (many of whom I'm friendly with) wonders why so many members of dkos instinctively recoil whenever the the gun issue comes up.

Consider this Exhibit A.

© grover

by grover on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 11:38:35 PM PST

•  Freedom isn't for the weak... (8+ / 0-)

As a person whom was suicidal for years because of my gender identity issues...the guns in our home didn't even cross my mind when I jumped off the bridge.

Crass, in my opinion, is worrying about the feelings of those whom are left behind.

That's truly obscene to me.

But then again, this argument isn't about saving my life or the lives of millions just like me.

It's not about anything but what you'll think of me when I'm dead, correct?

Why do I say these things?  Because I too once believed as you..."The world couldn't know I committed suicide.  Oh the horror and shame I'd bring to my family!"

It had to look like an accident, I was convinced of that!

And you know what? All those people I worried so goddamn much about? All of them but my Mother disowned me when I finally accepted that I was truly a woman and told them so!

Fuckers!

Don't you dare bring your false moral superiority into this conversation.

It's about the right to chose your own destiny.

If you want to help people then get off the couch and man the suicide hotlines!  Help push policies and laws that ensure Equity Under Law.  Help fund the social safety nets the criminals called the Republican Party have gutted, especially mental health services.  Help end the racist drug war that is stealing the limited resources we have and put those savings into education... Pay our teachers like our lives depend upon it!

Wanna make a difference?  Drop this crusade you're on and get to work teaching non-violent dispute resolution and tolerance!

Teach and live peace!

Maybe then, people like me won't WANT to commit suicide!

by gerrilea on Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 02:22:38 AM PST

•  Humm.. This rec list diary reveals (5+ / 0-)

that several EU countries state that suicide is a human right even for children.

And Kossacks agreed. So you are several days late.

And our bodies are not property of the state. If I get sick of dialysis I am free to stop treatment- effectively committing suicide. Should the state be able to order me - a 35 yr old man to resume treatment?

If I use a rope would the anti even care? But use a gun.. same result but OH NOES THE TRAGEDIEZZZZ

In the end of all three- I still die leaving mental trauma all around- but its not about that. Its about authoritarian control.

•  What's your point? Suicide is selfish? (5+ / 0-)

You'll brook no argument from me there.  It's oftentimes the most selfish decision a person could have made.

That doesn't change the underlying fact that it's YOUR life though.  Suicide is the quintessential natural law right, one that's impossible for the State to take away from you.

by Crookshanks on Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 09:22:17 AM PST

•  Picture This... (0+ / 0-)

My body, my choice, right?

Yes, but if you choose to shoot yourself in the head then someone will have to witness the carnage, as human carnage always evokes revulsion - even EMS and EMT pros are affected a bit by a gory suicide - so that's a choice based in extreme dickishness. The brave thing to do would be to jump off a tall bridge over a river or bay.

You meet them halfway with love, peace, and persuasion ~ And expect them to rise for the occasion...

by paz3 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 at 05:59:06 PM PST