View Diary: Anti-Capitalist Meetup: Post Occupy Analysis (141 comments)

•  actually (1+ / 0-)
    Diane Gee

I do have a question.

How is Occupy organised at present?

If you wanted to determine how many people would support an Occupy Party candidate, how would you do that?  Is there an email list where you would say "I am considered standing.  My platform would be to break up the banks"?

This signature is my way of getting Bill Maher off the air

by GideonAB on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 06:23:13 PM PST

•  Occupy isn't a single entity (1+ / 0-)
      NY brit expat

Different cities have different ways of organizing.

It's composed of individual communities, bottom up, and horizontal. Participatory communities. Direct democracy.

"The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue." Emma Goldman, Anarchism and Other Essays

by ZhenRen on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 04:11:27 AM PST

•  Thats the rub (0+ / 0-)

there is no organization - never was.  No unity, no way of accomplishing anything.  Just tiny little local fiefdoms that act autonomously to the other ones.

That is its inherent flaw.

..the smoker you drink, the player you get....

by Diane Gee on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 04:37:12 AM PST

•  In Portland (2+ / 0-)
        Galtisalie, NY brit expat

there was quite a bit of organization. In fact, that was one of the criticisms. Too much time spent on organization. People were inexperienced, and there was a lot to decide and discuss. In anarchist Spanish collectives, they would meet once a week or once a month, and get real work done. In Occupy, they met everyday and argued. The inexperience, the people coming and going, the long list of things to decide, slowed everything down. Toward the end, the spokescouncil model was adopted, which helped to streamlines the meetings.

by ZhenRen on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 05:23:56 AM PST

•  Portlandia (0+ / 0-)

(where a lot of my lefty friends live)  is NOTHING like the rest of the US, by any stretch of the politcal spectrum in demographics.

If you are from Portland, how could you possibly tell me over and over that the marginalization of the POC (people of color) groups and Decolonize groups didn't happen in Oakland?

My friends posted story after story, video after video, picture after picture about it.

See?  Thats where you lose me.  You made it sound like you were there and you were not.

..the smoker you drink, the player you get....

by Diane Gee on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 05:43:53 AM PST

•  I have not discussed Oakland with you (0+ / 0-)

You must be thinking of a different discussion. AoT has extensive experience with Oakland. I went to bed, and didn't get around to reading everything in the comments.

But a lot of activist groups (ouside of Occupy) have many of the same social tensions. I know the Global Justice Movement dealt with similar issues.

We encountered an example right here: you might go off and say I was authoritarian, for example, because I merely disagreed with your view. I would dispute that, but of course you can say what ever you like about me, and by extension Occupy.

The only way to overcome these obstacles is to try to work it out, with everyone being an honest actor.

We live in a world in which a lot of these real issues are still simmering. Of course Occupy would be no exception, because people bring their social and cultural imprints with them.

by ZhenRen on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 11:46:50 AM PST

•  well then (0+ / 0-)

If there is no organization, there is no way to get the word out about any candidates that stand I suppose.

If you have no organization, how are you going to attract people to stand?  To me, that seems like the question to ask at this point.

What is happening in Occupy Michigan at present?

This signature is my way of getting Bill Maher off the air