View Diary: Introduction to Marxist Economics, Pt 3. The Basis of Capitalism (29 comments)

•  Edit: (2+ / 0-)
    TomP, enhydra lutris
    While Hegel himself had died shortly before Marx began his philosophical inquiry, his ideas dominated German philosophy during the first half of the 19th century. Marx and a number of other students, known collectively as the “Young Hegelians”, examined Marx’s philosophy intently.

"Well, yeah, the Constitution is worth it if you succeed." - Nancy Pelosi, 6/30/07 // "Succeed?" At what?

by nailbender on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 06:38:51 AM PDT

•  argh, thanks for that catch (3+ / 0-)

Proof-reading one's own writing is never easy.  ;)

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 06:50:45 AM PDT

•  so are these books the reason you were interviewed (2+ / 0-)
        TomP, enhydra lutris

by the FBI or whomever it was you mentioned in a comment a few weeks ago?

by nailbender on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 07:39:50 AM PDT

•  no, the books came later (7+ / 0-)

I got interviewed twice by the Feds---the first time was after I came back from Nicaragua in 1988, during the Contra War, and the second time was about a year later, about some Irish and Arab friends of mine.

But my FBI file includes most of my activism from 1983 right up to Occupy--I was a member of several different socialist and communist parties, served two terms as co-chair of the IWW's General Executive Board, worked for Greenpeace for a while, and was also active in the Central America antiwar movement, the anti-apartheid movement, the anti-nuclear power movement, and the nuclear-weapons freeze movement. And I was arrested for civil disobedience about a dozen times, in Philadelphia, New York and DC. Any one of those would be enough to attract the FBI's attention.

I do know they were intercepting my mail, too---I was a freelance writer at the time, and was corresponding with people in the then-Soviet Union about the Russian space program (including a couple of cosmonauts).

In the end, reality always wins.

by Lenny Flank on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 07:49:31 AM PDT

•  Well that explains it. (3+ / 0-)
            Hey338Too, TomP, enhydra lutris

Red flag central, you were.  I guess it's amazing you were never detained.

Were you in the various pre-Iraq Invasion marches in DC and NYC?  Handing out the Socialist Worker newspapers, mabye?  Might have seen you (though not in the NYC MoveOn event where we were herded into cattle pens).

What was your interest in the Russian space program, btw?

What's your read on the WIPP mess?

by nailbender on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 08:18:54 AM PDT

•  The well-oiled components of fascism .. (0+ / 0-)

..quietly, continually operate, waiting only for the precise verbiage to pass into law, and for all supervisors to simultaneously announce the time has come to 'round them all up.

Incredible.

..now, where did I leave my torches and villagers?

by FrankSpoke on Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 11:18:02 AM PDT