View Diary: Russia's Military Presence in Crimea and the Parliamentary Resolution (271 comments)

•  no one here is advocating that (1+ / 0-)
    Tony Situ

though some here seem to be more interested in defending Russia (still) then in reality.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 04:17:07 PM PST

•  I won't defend Putin (2+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, Johnny Q

If I can get you not to defend Hillary voting for an unprovoked invasion of a nation thousands of miles away from our borders.

•  ..... (1+ / 0-)
        Tony Situ

1. You're conflating the past with the present

2. What the bloody hell is the relevance on that?

Is what Putin is doing wrong or not? No more 'but look over there!' I would like an answer as to current events please.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 04:35:03 PM PST

•  Of course it's wrong but we got away with doing (2+ / 0-)

ever so much worse and no one on earth knows that better than Putin who knew from the getgo there were no WMD in Iraq.  What kind of moral suasion do you think we have after we launched the biggest unprovoked invasion of a sovereign state in this century?

•  I see (1+ / 0-)
            Tony Situ

Well while I am sure that makes for an interesting point of view it's not one I share.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 04:57:12 PM PST

•  What a surprise that you don't know what... (0+ / 0-)

hypocrisy looks like.

So, you advocate being a hypocrite and adopting hypocritical positions? I knew it.

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 07:36:18 PM PST

•  You sure you want to go that route? (0+ / 0-)

because as far as hypocrisy goes you're in a class few ever achieve.

But by all means continue to accuse me of things I am not doing while distorting and twisting my words.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 07:39:45 PM PST

•  Wow! You have an incredible capacity for derp! (0+ / 0-)

In response to greenbell's assertion that it would be hypocritical of the USA to criticize Putin (absolutely correct) you said:

I see so because someone somewhere at some time has done something bad or even something that could be construed as bad that removes all right to criticize.

You said in those few words that it's ok for the USA to be hypocritical and criticize Putin for his actions.

So, in response I said:

Which is exactly what you did.

Please explain exactly where I twisted your words and I'll offer an apology.

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 07:59:17 PM PST

•  If the majority of the people in the Crimea (2+ / 0-)
          Johnny Q, Lepanto

don't want to be part of the Ukraine, is it wrong to support their desire for independence or annexation by Russia?

By what criteria do you determine which mobs demanding independence deserve to be viewed as heroic?

Welcome to the Whole Foods of the blogosphere.

by JesseCW on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 04:53:03 PM PST

•  Even assuming that's true (0+ / 0-)

that in no way justifies what Russia is doing. Nor for that matter are Russia's actions appropriate to that course.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 04:58:17 PM PST

•  9 out of 10 Confederates Agree! (0+ / 0-)

How can you decide what a majority of Ukranians want when you've got Russian troops in the country.

•  Yes. Ethnic Russians being frightened (0+ / 0-)

of a Government that just stripped their language of official status and stripped their territory of autonomous status within 48 hours of taking power are just precisely like a bunch of assholes who wanted to keep enslaving four million people.

That's a very apt comparison.  Thank you.

Welcome to the Whole Foods of the blogosphere.

by JesseCW on Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 12:01:06 AM PST

•  Hate to go Godwin, but the majority in the (0+ / 0-)

Sudetenland were of German descent and favored Hitler taking over.

That said, if the majority of Crimeans want to join Russia, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  Still don't see how it justifies Putin's invasion, but then again, acting as apologist for Putin seems to be all the rage on the extreme left of the US these days. :(

•  Those here that blame the US for Putin's actions (0+ / 0-)

are, in a sense, defending him by putting the blame somewhere besides his own shoulders.