View Diary: Hey Newbie! (413 comments)

•  Not all opinions are equal (3.71)
    There are opinions, respected opinions and expert opinions.

Sorry, but thats the reality.

If we discussing a 13th century French painting, I'd be interested in all opinions, but I'd value the opinion of an art historian more, and the opinion of an art history who spacializied in 13th century French painting most.

SOCIAL SECURITY: Invented by Democrats yesterday, Protected by Democrats today

by mollyd on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 06:45:17 AM PDT

•  4ing you (4.00)
      Fighting back against undeserved 1s since 2005!!!

Straw Man (homo calami) - when you don't feel like arguing against someone's actual points just assign them new and easier ones to dispute

by Liberalpalooza on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 09:49:26 AM PDT

•  But in order to properly evaluate an opinion (4.00)
      it helps to be able to hear other opinions. Otherwise, you might not realize that the 13th century French painting expert is a hack hired by the AEI to unload some third rate forgeries from Richard Perle's collection.

I'm just sayin'....

•  Funny ... I take the typical art historian's ... (none)
      opinion as so much recycled garbage. Give me an intelligent person with a really good eye any day -- that's the opinion I most respect.

But then I'm a gallery habitué, and snooze anytime I hear the "experts" spiel off the standard lines.

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case." - Ken Kesey

by Glinda on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 11:09:15 AM PDT

•  I was attempting to give an inoffensive example (none)
        But

I could have picked something else.

sheesh

SOCIAL SECURITY: Invented by Democrats yesterday, Protected by Democrats today

by mollyd on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 11:19:22 AM PDT

•  No it was a perfect example! (4.00)
          There isn't an expert on any topic that doesn't have distinguished detractors. So, as always, whether one values a perticular opinion is merely a matter of taste.

Opinion is not science, so ranking opinions is a personal matter.

by Glinda on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 11:46:24 AM PDT

•  heh. typing with an upstate NY accent: (none)
            perticular=particular