View Diary: Hey Newbie! (413 comments)

•  note to dKos techies (4.00)
    I agree with everything georgia10 writes, except for the part about repeated diaries.  Why?  Because the search function of dKos, quite honestly, blows.  I mean, really blows.  If the standards of conduct say "don't post repeated diaries" and somebody goes to the trouble of searching for a diary by the same topic of the one they've just labored over for an hour or so, and fails to find one (did I mention that the search function blows?) one can hardly fault them for posting it.  If you follow the other rules, and really put some work into a diary, a diary on the same topic may be posted while you are working, and still be invisible by means of the search function.

How many diaries did we have about dKos 3.0? Orange, schmorange.  A search function that works is worth a thousand fancy CSS skins.

•  AMEN!!! (4.00)
      God knows I've wasted enough timtrying to search for crap, even when I knew it existed (had seen it earlier and had a god idea of what I was looking for).

The current search function is all but useless, to the point that I wonder if it might be easier just to use Google.

•  Yes, absolutely (none)
      If we're talking about time elapsing and the original diary has rolled off the list, or front page, or is no longer recommened.

BUT, if it is currently on the list of 50 (please set it for fifty), recommended list, or the front page, it means you just didn't bother to look.

And OK, people make a mistake, look but don't catch it.  That's fine, no biggie.  But, when told it's already up and alive, please, please, please, delete it.  I've done it.  Deleted a diary that was a repeat of something that already rolled off.  My comments consisted of 2, both telling me it was reheated stuff.  They weren't even nice to me, but I didn't punish them by "showing them" by refusing to delete.

That's not directed at YOU, personally, just to anyone who does this.

"But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore"--Prine

by Cathy on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 08:09:17 AM PDT

•  Just on a side note, (none)
        I've had my page set to 50 since the new layout began, and it's rare I manage to catch much of what cycles through the recent diaries list, there's so much going on here!  :)

who controls the 'raqi war? who tells big lies by the score? Bush do! Bush do!

by br00mhiLdA on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 09:39:47 AM PDT

•  agreed -- how many hundreds of times have (4.00)
      we read, "well, I searched for it, sorry!" I think sometimes people are searching "Stories" and don't realize they have to change the option to search "Diaries."

also, re: "no repeat diaries" -- the fact is that, over and over again, what we see is that somebody posts something good and useful - and the diary sinks.

Somebody else repeats it -- it sinks. Etc., etc., and then finally, after the 3rd or 4th diary, or 6th or 7th -- maybe even the next day -- somebody repeats it yet again, and suddenly, it catches on, and becomes recommended, and stays up long enough so plenty of Kossacks read it.

In the old days (ha ha), there was a sort of expectation that those posting diaries were expected to be up to date on whatever discussion on the topic had taken place on the site before. But now -- nobody can read ALL the diaries anymore, can they? even if you skip all the repeat "breaking news" diaries.

Too Many Diaries now, there's no doubt -- for my taste, there are even Too Many FrontPage posts now.

•  Agree + new bug! (none)
      I agree completely re the need for a new search function, so much that I gave this comment a four!  Then noticed that we seem to have instant updates implemented.  That's terrific!  Should really help the site traffic to avoid reloading entire pages when someone just wants to rate a comment.

But.

After I rated, all the child comments disappeared.

:-O

I had to open the comment in a new tab to make them come back.

I will link to this comment in a bug report.

That is all.

•  sometimes child comments disappear (none)
        when you do anything to the parent comment.  Totally wierd.

"Don't want to be an American idiot..." -- Green Day

by Black Maned Pensator on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 09:36:41 AM PDT

•  bug or undocumented feature :) (none)

SOCIAL SECURITY: Invented by Democrats yesterday, Protected by Democrats today

by mollyd on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 10:09:41 AM PDT

•  You must be using Dynamic Threaded (none)
        The DT view is aaaaallll kinds of fucked up since the transition to dKos 3.0.

Let's see if I can round up the current brokenness with Dynamic Threaded:

• Rating a parent comment causes all comments attached to it to disappear when the comment auto-reloads to reflect the rating.  This is really fucking annoying.  I have probably not given out as many 4's to parent comments as I should recently, simply because of this defect.

• Clicking on a linked comment in, for example, your 'My Comments' list takes you to a page where you can view the original comment -- but you can't expand the attached responses!  Argh!

• Voting on a poll takes you to a page view where you can't expand any non-parent comments -- clicking on the expand button does nothing.  You have to hit 'back' to get to a working page -- which reloads the comments pane and wipes out any [new] indicators.

• Regardless of the faults with the DT view, it continues to annoy me that you're forced into the Nested view when the number of comments is >= 200.

-AG

(Not Arthur Gilroy -- I'm the smart AG.)

I'm a pro-gun, pro-nuclear-power Reform Democrat.
        UUJN: Brother Venerable Katana of Mindful Forgiveness

by AlphaGeek on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 05:22:36 PM PDT

•  You are correct, AG (none)
          I'd come across some of these but not all - switching from safari to Firefox seems to have made more of them more obvious to me (hard to say worse).  I think I'd just internalized the problems in Safari and was working around them.  The over 200 switch to Nested is a long time annoyance, right?

Swapping a functional comment ui for a facelift doesn't seem like such a good deal right at the moment.  Oh well.

•  Yeah (none)
            The over 200 switch to Nested is a long time annoyance, right?

Yeah.  Newer main-line releases of Scoop have fairly sophisticated user preferences for setting the number of comments at which one view switches over to another.  Register a user account at BooManTribune and look at the comment preferences page if you're interested in seeing the difference.

The older, heavily-customized version of Scoop running dKos has one, non-user-modifiable comment-preferences setting for the entire site.

As long as we're completely off topic, I should mention that dKos probably looks a lot better for me than it does for you.  Here's why.

-AG

I'm a pro-gun, pro-nuclear-power Reform Democrat.
            UUJN: Brother Venerable Katana of Mindful Forgiveness

by AlphaGeek on Wed Jul 06, 2005 at 11:23:31 PM PDT

•  thanks (none)
            I somehow thought greasemonkey was pc only - that's interesting.  So many different views of Daily Kos now.

So does anyone have a family tree for scoop variants yet?  Does kuro5hin supply the one true Scoop?

•  Google provides site specific searches (none)
      I don't know if it costs anything but you can add a google link that would search this site only.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt