View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 3/4 (322 comments)

•  Do you ever think he can be (5+ / 0-)

a much more powerful figure in the state? I don't think he's had the ability to endear himself to the state's population like Klobuchar has, even if he's smartly kept his head down and worked hard, and he also has a much more partisan past. Still, if he's reelected this year, as I expect him to be, he'll be there for six more years. Unless MN takes a sharp turn to the right and/or he goes off the rails, I could see him slowly but surely becoming an institution. Or maybe he'll always be Harkin as opposed to Grassley.

"Once, at a formal dinner, when [a rich] guest complained about the cost of welfare programs for the poor, Buffett replied tartly, 'I'm a lot more concerned about welfare for the rich.'"--from a book on Warren Buffett

by bjssp on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:26:06 AM PST

•  The Harkin Analogy Is Fitting..... (6+ / 0-)

If Klobuchar is Minnesota's Grassley, extremely popular and winning by landslides in every corner of the state, Franken's best-case scenario is to be Minnesota's Harkin, winning decisively but never pulling in a significant percentage of crossover votes based on his more partisan caricature.

•  He won't ever be Klobuchar (1+ / 0-)
      bjssp

So long as she remains in office, he will be the clear Junior Senator in more ways than seniority. Klobuchar is also nearly 10 years younger than Franken. I think Frabken excites a lot of people outside of the state. Inside the state he is seen as a kostly-serious politician, but he will never rise to the level I'd Klobuchar in terms of popularity or clout. I could see him being a pre-2010 Russ Feingold, where he wins reelection by less than his more highly regarded counterpart, but the net roots swoon for him. I think he is already there, to an extent.

But as far as political institutions, the bar is set pretty high in the Minnesota DFL. McCarthy and Humphrey set a ridiculous standard for what constitutes an "institution" goes.

And I am actually surprised that he has taken this senate thing seriously. I am still not a fan of his, and likely never will be his #1 cheerleader. But I will probably be voting for him this time around.

I am a Tom Rukavina Democrat

by OGGoldy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:57:53 AM PST

•  Institution was probably the wrong word, (1+ / 0-)
        HoosierD42

especially for the state that gave us HHH.

by bjssp on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 08:02:58 AM PST

•  You didn't vote for him last time? (2+ / 0-)
        gabjoh, lordpet8

I held my nose last time but now I'm a big fan.

•  Out Of Curiosity.... (0+ / 0-)

.....why are you not a fan of his?

•  Al Franken (D-NY) (0+ / 0-)

Lives in new York for nearly half a century, then sees a political opportunity in a place had hadn't been since he was a teenager and carpetbagged over.

I am a Tom Rukavina Democrat

by OGGoldy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 08:30:31 AM PST

•  That Sentiment Was Less Influential In Your Region (1+ / 0-)
            gabjoh

......than I expected.  Franken's margins were pretty strong in the Northland....far stronger than I predicted they'd be.

•  Oh whatever (2+ / 0-)
            gabjoh, DCCyclone

Who would have been a better candidate? Obviously not anyone who ran.

This just reminds me of Tarryl Clark running for MN-8 last cycle, and all of the local pols throwing a fit about her not being from the district and then not being willing to run against Cravaack. Luckily Rick Nolan was in the race, but I'm always ashamed when I see this kind of petty backstabbing in the party. Franken has represented Minnesota extremely well.

Not that blog posts count as "backstabbing," of course, but it's the sentiment. The anti-Franken stuff from 2008 is pretty embarrassing in hindsight.

•  Clark would have been a disaster (0+ / 0-)

I actually worked for the Nolan campaign early when everyone thought it was a joke (admittedly I left the campaign after only 4 months). But internal polls showed Nolan and Generic D beating Cravaack by double digits, but Clark losing to him. I left before Anderson entered the race, but I suspect he was polling about as well as Nolan leading up the to primary. I don't have the hard numbers for the polls after January 2012, but my understanding is that Clark never led Cravaack in any Nolan internal.

Clark losing to Nolan was the single best thing that happened on primary night in 2012 in the state.

I am a Tom Rukavina Democrat

by OGGoldy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 09:06:22 AM PST

•  Did she support Hillary in '08? (0+ / 0-)

Is that why Bill campaigned for her?

Gay farm boy, 21, who hit the city to go to college, WI-03 (home, voting), WI-02 (college), -5.12, -1.74, "No tears. Remember the laughter, stories and good times we shared."- My dad (1959-2013).

by WisJohn on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 09:13:18 AM PST

•  Why does it matter? (1+ / 0-)
            wadingo

People get too hung up over geography. Are his political views a good fit for the politics of the state? That's what really matters. It's certainly not worth voting for Norm Coleman (assuming that's what you mean when you said you voted against him).

TX-17 (Bill Flores-R), TX Sen-14 (Kirk Watson-D), TX HD-50 (Celia Israel-D)

by Le Champignon on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 08:51:35 AM PST

•  It's not a dealbreaker for me, (1+ / 0-)
              BoswellSupporter

but I can easily understand how it might be an issue for some people. People use all sorts of silly reasoning when voting. I don't think this qualifies.

by bjssp on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 09:00:28 AM PST

•  As someone who lives in suburban Utah (2+ / 0-)
              gabjoh, James Allen

(and a suburban congressional district at that) I don't get the parochialism/local geography concerns in any state. As long as you've lived in the state and district for as long as you need to, all other things being equal (or even the non-local being more progressive), I'd vote for the Democrat.

Leftist Mormon in Utah, Born in Washington State, live in UT-04 (Matheson).

by Gygaxian on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 10:42:42 AM PST

•  I think sincerity of attachment matters (3+ / 0-)
                James Allen, askew, sapelcovits

Do you really care about the place whose voters you're wooing?

That was my point about Iowa and myself above.  I do care about Iowa and it's always "home."  Running for office is a different thing, but if I moved home, helped on campaigns, worked my way up the local infrastructure, I would expect to be given a chance to run if I wanted one, and to be accepted as someone who cares about the locale and state.

Franken is a native Minnesotan, he's not a carpetbagger.  His heart is there.

46, male, Indian-American, and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 06:48:03 PM PST

•  we live in places where there are a lot of people (0+ / 0-)

who didn't come from there. I am firmly rooted here, but something like 60% of Oregonians were born out of state. It's a bigger deal in smaller communities, though.

"I join Justice Ginsburg's dissent in full." - Clarence Thomas in Philip Morris USA v. Williams

by James Allen on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:38:51 PM PST

•  Why was Franken the Senate candidate anyway? (1+ / 0-)
            OGGoldy

It's not as if Minnesota had no Democratic bench; in 2008, there were several statewide elected officials who would have had a free shot, and certainly many viable members of the state legislature. So how did Franken end up as the nominee? For the record, I like Franken, but it just seems really weird that he got the nomination with only token primary opposition.

•  $$$ (0+ / 0-)

Franken brought a lot of NY donors with him. With the amount he was raising, it wasn't really practical for one of the statewide office holders to try and compete. Plus, all of the statewide democrats in office then, Otto, Swanson, and Ritchie, were all first elected in 2006. It is generally consider faux pas to turn around around run for another office immediately being sworn in to another. Look at how it worked out for Berg and Murdock.

I am a Tom Rukavina Democrat

by OGGoldy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 11:36:09 AM PST

•  Franken had the nomination wrapped before he (6+ / 0-)

ever announced.  He moved back to the state prior the 2006 election and he started doing campaign rallies and fundraisers for candidates.  He's how I heard of Tim Walz as a college friend wanted to go see Franken, and he was hosting an event for Walz.  So he put in a lot of goodwill which made it very obvious he was going to run for Senate.  Why else would some C-list celebrity move from NY to MN and start getting involved in politics?

That made any other challengers realize if they want to run, they'll have to go up against his juggernaut fundraising and name rec, so no one bothered running.  And we have a backlog of state legislators who want to move up, so we absolutely would have gotten a tier-one candidate.  Outside of the legislature, Rep. McCollum had only been in office three terms and she could've had a choice of stay in the House to build up seniority or she could've won herself a Senate seat.  (She doesn't strike me as Senate material as she's loudly liberal, but she still could've won.)

•  I was probably one of the few people (2+ / 0-)
        terjeanderson, PassionateJus

that was Ggng-ho for him the moment he entered the race and that was back in Feb 2007.

He definitely seemed like an unconventional candidate but at the same Norm Coleman wasn't all that popular. Plus I'm sure there were lingering bitter feeling about failing to hold onto Wellstone's seat in 2002.

Overall he's proven himself to be an effective senator.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

by lordpet8 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 12:45:34 PM PST