View Diary: Forbes: 'The Invasion Of Crimea Is Crushing Russia's Stock And Currency Markets' (480 comments)

•  TLP -- (1+ / 0-)
    translatorpro

it came from ... "people briefed on the call said" in the NYT report i link to here,  again.

TRAILHEAD of accountability for Bush-2 Crimes? -- Addington's Perpwalk.

by greenbird on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 08:15:52 AM PST

•  I realize that it was in the NYT - thanks for the (8+ / 0-)

link, which I have read, but I want to know where the NYT got the quote, specifically. The only German report I'm seeing about this (the tabloid "Bild", which is not my source of choice) is also quoting this from the NYT. It's strange that no reliable German sources are printing anything about this at all.

„Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.“ - Bertolt Brecht

by translatorpro on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 08:21:20 AM PST

•  yep. and it's evolving ... (0+ / 0-)

because it's just "people briefed on the call."

Guardian-UK Live Update

German chancellor Angela Merkel told US president Barack Obama that she thought Russian president Vladimir Putin may be “in another world.”
        bolding mine.
        ...................

TRAILHEAD of accountability for Bush-2 Crimes? -- Addington's Perpwalk.

by greenbird on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 08:25:54 AM PST

•  No, it's evolving in that I just posted (6+ / 0-)

a source higher up that stated the Chancellor did not say that at all. I just found it odd that there were no German sources mentioning this (I live in Germany), so I have been looking for confirmation of any kind in German, and was only coming across it as a NYT quote. Then I stumbled over a very fresh report (less than an hour old), that refuted the NYT quote.

by translatorpro on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 08:50:01 AM PST

•  wait a minute. Your own translation says (1+ / 0-)
            TXdem

this:

Berlin has not officially confirmed the quote, but preferred a more diplomatic turn of phrase
            which sounds to me like they're not clearly denying the statement.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 12:37:29 PM PST

•  Not really. (0+ / 0-)

As I told you elsewhere, there's just too much room for misinterpretation/mistranslation when more than one language is involved. I really would not read too much into this, especially since it doesn't really sound like something Angela Merkel would say about another world leader whose gas and oil her country needs.

by translatorpro on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 02:19:44 PM PST

•  Nuland maybe? (2+ / 0-)
        peacestpete, MrJersey

She may be in on all of Merkel's calls, silently, of course. For the neocons, the EU is a bit enemy-ish. You never know when a diplomacy that doesn't involve attempts to humiliate a powerful nation and/or the extensive use of stuff that goes boom! might pop up inconveniently.

It always seems impossible until its done. -Nelson Mandela