View Diary: Obama says Russia on wrong side of history, urges Congress to pass Ukrainian aid package (169 comments)

•  Oh my God. What a weird comment. (18+ / 0-)

After a while here, the animus toward Barack Obama approaches Tea Party levels.

And I opposed President Obama's focus on deficits, but I also realize it was Republicans who caused much of the austerity.  Well, at least you did not praise Putin, as some might.

All in all, your comment reeks.

Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.

by TomP on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 01:08:11 PM PST

•  It's a legitimate point (14+ / 0-)

If we can't afford food stamps to feed starving Americans, then why are we going to pour money into a country in which we have virtually zero interests?

I think the aid package is probably a wise move, but it highlights the hypocrisy of the austerity movement.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 01:13:46 PM PST

•  Yeah. That's basically all I was saying. (8+ / 0-)

Seems to have hit a nerve. Must of been the hostility of my tone. Sorry, it just hits me that way sometimes, when I finish talking to my friends who are working at minimum wage and sinking slowly farther into debt even though they're perfectly competent workers. Or when I contemplate my partner continuing to work with type I Diabetes two years after her doctor told her she needed to stop, because we needed the money.

Sure once I was young and impulsive, I wore every conceivable pin. Even went to socialist meetings, learned all the old union hymns. Ah, but I've grown older and wiser. And that's why I'm turning you in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 01:22:37 PM PST

•  The "Aid" Package: (2+ / 0-)
        stewarjt, SouthernLiberalinMD

is nothing more than the typical Neoliberal bullshit carrot used to entangle a country further with its Western Bankster Predators.

Any "aid" package will be nothing more than aimed at solidifying Western Power's control over Ukraine - to the extent possible, now that Russia appears unwilling to roll over and allow us to take all of Ukraine.

It isn't about people.  It's not about helping the folks of Ukraine - it's about establishing power, pure and simple.

The 1% are Purists: They only support Candidates that Deliver Results They Can Bank On. Don't they know they should compromise? /sarcasm

by Johnathan Ivan on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 03:20:53 PM PST

•  Quite possibly, even probably (0+ / 0-)

but that wasn't quite where I was going with the comment, which was really a quite simple guns vs butter critique.
          Anyway, rec'd because I think you're probably right.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:01:31 AM PST

•  This is actually rather an ordinary comment (6+ / 0-)

of the Guns vs Butter variety, just rendered more vivid by the unflagging emphasis on austerity/cutting government spending/lowering deficits for three years.

Republicans support crap, yes, obviously. But my characterization of the President can't "reek" when he himself and his allies are proud of cutting spending. This is an eric lewis diary, which reports on Jack Lew being really happy that the deficit is so low. And
        this is from whitehouse.gov:

Lowering Discretionary Spending

President Obama has led the way on forcing government to live within its means through a balanced approach that protects key priorities and ensures that everyone pays their fair share. In August, President Obama signed into law a bipartisan agreement that kept our nation from defaulting and achieved significant deficit reduction, including a down payment on reform of about $1 trillion, by reducing discretionary spending to its lowest level as a share of the economy since Dwight D. Eisenhower was President while protecting critical investments critical to our long-term competitiveness.

And under this agreement, Congress must pass another $1.5 trillion in deficit reduction, or trigger massive cuts to domestic and defense spending, providing an incentive for both sides to come together.
      The agreement is consistent with the President’s values of achieving meaningful deficit reduction in a common-sense balanced manner, in which low-income and middle-class families do not bear the entire burden, in which the most fortunate Americans pay their fair share, and in which cuts are spread across both the security and non-security sides of government.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 01:20:15 PM PST

•  "Forcing the government to live within its means" (0+ / 0-)

is a Republican talking point, for those playing along at home, used by no less a personage than Eric Cantor:

House Republican Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA): In a joint editorial with Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), wrote: “Just as any family or business has to do, Washington needs to learn to live within its means.” Reported three mortgages totaling at least $1 million.
        Here's some other awesome individuals using the same talking point:
        House Budget Committee Member Scott Rigell (R-VA): Boasted that he voted for a balanced budget amendment because: “I know that American families do what they have to do to live within their means; and so too should the government.” Reported $1.5 million in lines of credit, a $500,000-plus mortgage, and over $10,000 in credit card debt.
        House Budget Committee Member Bill Flores (R-TX): Wrote: “It’s time Washington was forced to finally live within its means and cut up the credit cards. Every American family and 49 out of 50 states currently abide by some form of a balanced-budget requirement. If they can make the hard choices to pay their bills and live within their means, then Washington should too,” and “American families and businesses must live by this principle every day, and they want Congress to abide by the same rule.” Reported  two mortgages on residences totaling over $1.5 million.
        (Note: apparently Flores doesn't believe so much in cutting up credit cards as he does in tearing up the bill and refusing to pay it.)
        House Budget Committee Member Alan Nunnelee (R-MS): “Families and businesses in my district have been sitting down, cutting spending, balancing their budgets and making tough decisions. It’s time for the federal government to do the same. A balanced budget amendment will legally force the federal government to only spend what it takes in and start living within its means – a practice Mississippi families and businesses are asked to do every day, yet a practice our own President refuses to participate in. Reported four mortgages on two properties, totaling more than $145,000.
        House Budget Committee Member James Lankford (R-OK): Said in a floor speech: “Nineteen years ago my wife and I married. I was still in school, I was working as much as I could, she was also working, but we were barely making it, but we made the decision, we were not going to run up credit card debt and live beyond our means. We paid our school loans, we tied to our church, we ate a lot of peanut butter, and we lived simply. As Dave Ramsey said, we determined to act our wage. It’s a biblical principal for myself and my family; Proverbs 22:7 states, ‘The borrower is a slave to the lender.’ Proverbs 22 applies to families, and Proverbs 22 applies to nations. If we were living within our means as a nation, almost all the debate in the last six months in this chamber would have been different.” Reported that he “is a slave” to Bank of America, with whom he has a mortgage of more than $100,000.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:12:18 AM PST

•  No need for the personal attack remark: (1+ / 0-)
      SouthernLiberalinMD

"All in all, your comment reeks."

And comparing the commenter to the Tea Party. Really???

It shouldn't be weird that someone has a different viewpoint than yours. Reasonable minds differ.

The Ukraine situation is emerging and will likely be fluid for some time.  A person's view about the situation may change, possibly even yours.

Also (http://www.dailykos.com/...):

"Any and all insults are HRable. Although users are never required to uprate any comment, it is considered a violation of site policy to uprate a comment with an insult in it."

Failure to Publicize Acts of Hatred Only Allows Them to Fester and Metastasize.

by BoxerDave on Mon Mar 03, 2014 at 06:12:40 PM PST

•  Thanks, but no worries. :-) (1+ / 0-)
        BoxerDave

What irritates me here is not so much the statement that my comment "reeks" as it is the assertion of "OMG, how weird that comment is" when, whether one agrees with me or not, it's actually a pretty simple and straightforward point. And, additionally, the apparent need to defend Barack Obama as a hapless victim who has had austerity imposed upon him by bad Republican congressmen, when he himself and his administration have repeatedly prided themselves on deficit reduction and spending reduction, often using the same exact language as those terrible Republican congressmen.

It's the lack of logic that gets under my skin, not the personal attacks. But thank you for caring, nonetheless.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:17:46 AM PST