Skip to main content

View Diary: It's Not Wage Stagnation, It's Wage Robbery (151 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  File a claim in small claims court against (3+ / 0-)

    the offending employer. Often it takes a judgment against them to finally make them pay up. They will also be responsible for your filing fees and court costs. Usually these cases are open and shut enough that you will not need an attorney and the judge will find in your favor. A lot of the time you will get a default judgment because they won't bother sending anyone to court.

    I had someone I know recover unpaid wages this way when wage and hour division was not aggressive in pursuing the case.

    I do agree with you that wage theft should be categorized as criminal.  It should be a felony.

    •  worked for us the couple times we had to do it in (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:

      a dozen years.

      We are all pupils in the eyes of God.

      by nuclear winter solstice on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 03:21:32 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  I live in a different state now. (0+ / 0-)

      The cost of initiating the case would far exceed what I could ever hope to reclaim through court action.

      That I think is a location for collective action.

      As an academic employee at another university, when the point came up that we had limited right to form a union, I made the point that if they don't negotiate, then we should organize to litigate until they scream for a master agreement, aka a contract.  

      The problem is that there's not been much effort to organize along these lines.

      by ManfromMiddletown on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 03:33:40 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site