View Diary: Why post a comment? (223 comments)

•  generally speaking (6+ / 0-)

I post first and foremost to address a perceived logical fallacy/sloppy thinking.

Ever now and then I'll post something funny or to voice support for a diarist.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 06:19:33 PM PST

•  :) (6+ / 0-)

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. ~ Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:11:05 PM PST

•  Funny, though. (3+ / 0-)

Most people really don't appreciate it when their logical fallacies or cognitive biases are pointed out to them.

•  or even (4+ / 0-)

When they're incorrectly pointed out.

"It rubs the lotion on its skin" is not effective coalition building.

by Nada Lemming on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:44:20 PM PST

•  It's delicate. It can be done, but it has to be (6+ / 0-)

done with care and with awareness of who your audience is. The classic wrong way of doing it is in the diary, and unfortunately too many comments of correction around here are not much more nuanced.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 07:51:37 PM PST

•  Completely agree. (3+ / 0-)
          Wee Mama, northerntier, duhban

I'm learning this myself.  Usually, tact is one of my highest values.  However, when it comes to fallacies & biases, I tend to turn brief, even taciturn, which does not usually help the situation.  It's a process.

At the same time, I appreciate folks allowing me to practice spotting these errors!  Helps me with my own thought processes.

•  true (3+ / 0-)
        novapsyche, Wee Mama, northerntier

and I freely admit that there are people doing it better than me. Moreover many of those people like for example the diarist I strive to learn from. Still it frustrates me when people engage in sloppy thinking.  It's a delicate balance and one that I frankly find myself landing on 'not saying anything' more and more.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 08:08:07 PM PST

•  That's too bad. (3+ / 0-)
          Wee Mama, serendipityisabitch, duhban
          I think it comes down to knowing who your audience is.  Sometimes you're trying to get the diarist (or commenter) over to your side; sometimes you're trying to enlighten those witnessing the exchange.  In an optimal world, these two are both your audiences but when it's not the former, it's still important to set the record straight for those who would otherwise be misinformed.

Just my opinion. :)

•  Please message me... (0+ / 0-)

in the interest of:

...it's still important to set the record straight for those who would otherwise be misinformed.

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 09:20:40 PM PST

•  if you want to know why (1+ / 0-)
            Arianna Editrix

Go ahead and message Clive. I know exactly the smears he's going to tell you and I know exactly the facts he's not going to say.

Clive is a great example of why I find myself walking away more and more. The sad fact is that there is a small portion here on daily kos that can't take any criticism. They just can't handle it and because many of these people spout opinions that are popular here (or at least vocally popular) their antics are tolerated, even encouraged  so long as they   act that way against anyone offering criticism of their view points.

It's absurdly tribal not to mention childish but because there are no consequences (at least immediately) they continue to act this way. I rather think that ultimately these people will get themselves banned but in the short term I just want nothing to do with them or their enablers.

I honestly spent a long time thinking about this because like you I want to engage. I think there's value in an honest discussion between two people that disagree. But I'm not playing high games of cliches and popularity. And as such I have chosen more and more to just ignore certain diaries. I will not say I never engage even if I think it will not amount to anything but that's more the exception than the rule.

And truly thank you for sharing your opinion, I enjoyed this exchange and I definitely think your opinion has a lot of merit to it. I just also can not deny my experiences either.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 11:16:08 PM PST

•  just a suggestion (5+ / 0-)

you might give some thought to flipping the amount of time/energy you spend here, just as an experiment, make it like for one week or something, see how it goes:

Every now and then I'll post something funny or to voice support for a diarist.

oh and I corrected your typo, compulsive me, lol, sorry.

Its not easy to do and it takes some discipline but my thinking is that it lends more, erm, credibility (weight?) to one's screenname when they are engaged in substantive productive convo at least as much as meta tit for tat silliness.

This is not meant just for you btw.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 05:44:08 AM PST

•  could you elaborate please? (0+ / 0-)

I do not understand what you mean by "flipping the amount of time/energy you spend here".

As to the other point, I actually do have substantive conversations (I leave determining if they are productive to others). I also rather sadly have a handful of people that are determined to create a feud with me. There's nothing I can do about that.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 09:59:16 AM PST

•  it occurred to me (1+ / 0-)
                  duhban

after I hit post, that for all I know you do more substantive that I realize, maybe just not in diaries that I'm in, lol. But it was your own statement, that I blockquoted & added bolds to up there, that seemed to imply otherwise. It was just a thought. Carry on.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 10:58:45 AM PST

•  no worries (1+ / 0-)
                    Lady Libertine

Me and you disagree on a number of issues but truly I do appreciate your advice. And I really do try and always be substantive. I do feel like sometimes people mistake substantive for agreeing with the current popular opinion. That's not really directed at you or really anyone in particular more a general observation.

Truly though thank you for your thought, you have a good day.

Der Weg ist das Ziel

by duhban on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 11:29:24 AM PST

•  Indeed, a thankless job. (2+ / 0-)

And it's appreciated even less when it's attempted by poseurs who are themselves fountains of cognitively biased fallaciousness in every thread in which they otherwise participate, aside from the ones where they boast of their super sloppy-thinker-identifying skills, that is.

by DeadHead on Tue Mar 04, 2014 at 11:12:03 PM PST