View Diary: CIA Monitored Senate Intelligence Committee Staff Working On CIA Torture Report (121 comments)

•  Good timeline, though. See enhanced interrogation? (0+ / 0-)

See how it ends in January 2009, with the word "banned?"

Thank God we elected a Democrat.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 09:25:23 AM PST

•  well (6+ / 0-)

sorry Ill try to refrain from knee jerk sarcasm, joe.

Yes, this Dem administration did ban torture. That Chart also shows where Targeted Killings and Drone Strikes were increased, "legalized" or expanded. So... its good we no longer torture. Its not good that, instead, now, we just kill people, civilians, suspected of possibly maybe growing up to become terrorists.

Sadly, I expected better. Not really what I thought they meant, in 2008, by "more efficient" but I suppose its not exactly a lie.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 09:38:03 AM PST

•  Why are you changing the subject? (0+ / 0-)

Does the issue of torture mean nothing to you except as an excuse to talk trash about Obama, to be forgotten as you rush to the next excuse, as soon as it ceases to be useful for your agenda?

We were talking about torture, the CIA, and the Senate committee's investigation. These things actually matter, and shouldn't just be a jumping off point for trash talking about whatever.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 10:03:13 AM PST

•  I believe it was you who (6+ / 0-)

dropped the just as an aside type comment re the Timeline Chart that Betty linked to, and I simply replied to yours with a different point of view on it. So we're both guilty of going off topic if either of us did. My apologies to the diarist for the jack.

You clearly dont know me very well if you think trashtalking PBO is my sole purpose in life and that the issue of torture means little more to me than an opportunity to do just that.

This is a very complex scenario. Im still following back links and reading some of emptywheel's prior posts on it for more clarity. Im a bit rusty on the topic these days. Just because BushCo is gone from elected office doesnt mean theres not still tons of BushCo darlings appointees (or practices) in place. The current administration seems to be okay with that and in this particular scenario this administration is not representing my views or values. Im still permitted to voice my disapproval, as a citizen and as a lifelong Democrat, unless something has changed that I missed somehow.

My view: I would like to see the Senate Intel Committee do their job and provide oversight of our gov't Intelligence agencies.... without interference or blockage from the very agency they are charged with overseeing.
          Radical concept I know. Sorry.

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 10:54:01 AM PST

•  Huh? That was the topic all along. (0+ / 0-)

Betty linked to the timeline which included the relevant topic (the end of torture) as well as several irrelevant topics, and I kept talking about the relevant topic.

So, sorry, no, that wasn't an "aside," that was staying on topic. You don't even seem to recognize it when you see it.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 04:52:46 AM PST

•  How do you ban something that's illegal? (8+ / 0-)

This stuff is just to the point of absurdity.

If knowledge is power and power corrupts, does that mean that knowledge corrupts?

by AoT on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 09:45:02 AM PST

•  Yes a Democrat (1+ / 0-)
      DeadHead

who is great with the slight of hand and giving lip service to Democratic ideals...

Health insurance is not health care.

by Jarrayy on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 11:20:58 AM PST

•  Well... (2+ / 0-)
      StrayCat, newpioneer

This might be more convincing...

Thank God we elected a Democrat.
      ...If, out of the eight areas addressed by that timeline, six of them didn't indicate things have either stayed the same or gotten worse since that Democrat took office.

From that timeline:

Patriot Act: Renewed.
      Wiretaps/data collection: collected, violated, extended.
      Guantanamo: Plans abandoned.
      Targeted Killings: Increased, Justified, Codified.
      Drone Strikes: Increased, Expanded, Civilians.
      Military commissions: Reviewed, Tried, Codified.

Are you "thankful" for his performance in these areas?

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. ~ Garcia

by DeadHead on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 11:55:17 AM PST

•  I love you all feel the need to change the subject (0+ / 0-)

Getting nowhere on the relevant topic of the thread?

HEY, LOOK OVER THERE!

BTW, the chart needs updating. He's pushing for Gitmo to be closed again.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 04:55:01 AM PST