View Diary: Support for marriage equality just keeps growing, no matter what foes believe (52 comments)

•  Same sex marriage becomes much less scary (10+ / 0-)

when same sex couples actually get married. And even red state teabaggers have some gay relatives who would like to get married.

And God said, "Let there be light"; and with a Big Bang, there was light. And God said "Ow! Ow My eyes!" and in a flash God separated light from darkness. "Whew! Now that's better. Now where was I. Oh yea . . ."

by Pale Jenova on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 07:32:09 AM PST

•  Problem is, (3+ / 0-)

some of those 'baggers probably don't know that they have some gay relatives, whether or nor said gay relatives want to marry.  I think there are a lot of gay people, particularly among the over-30 crowd, who aren't out to their families and never will be.

"Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom." -- G.W.Carver

by northbronx on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 07:52:39 AM PST

•  Problem is (5+ / 0-)

the scare tactics were just that and nothing else. Just bullshit backed up by zero facts. People tend to notice when when things 2000, 2012 and gay marriage are not the end of the world as predicted.

The USA and the rest of the world face a dangerous enemy that not only threatens our freedom but our very existence. This enemy is deeply embedded within society and is actively working towards our annihilation. That enemy is ignorance.

by Ex Con on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 08:02:34 AM PST

•  Problem is (2+ / 0-)
        equern, Pale Jenova

that it doesn't really matter to most "baggers" whether they KNOW that they have gay relatives or not. It wouldn't change their positions one way or the other for most of them.
        My own brother voted for our state's constitutional amendment banning marriage equality and then proceeded to tell me that he had done so while gleefully announcing how pleased he was. At that moment I decided that my relationship with him would be limited to polite greetings at any rare family gatherings where I might be forced to be in his presence.

•  I know a few baggers who have gay relatives (0+ / 0-)

who get amazingly liberal on the marriage issue. Some of them, at least. Others just get even more batshit.

by Pale Jenova on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 05:57:52 PM PST

•  The scary thing is being proposed to by a man. (1+ / 0-)
      Pale Jenova

If men can marry men, they will be asking teabaggers to marry them. That is fearsome. And women marrying women, teabaggers, find that fascinating. So now teabaggers are wallflowers at the party and no one is trying to dance with them. Nobody notices an opinionated, supercilious, whiner. Guess the teabaggers are going to have to get a new bag.

Now they have the 2nd (safety net for sloppy) Amendment, and can't be infringed to actually treat their gun like a gun and not a video game controller.

by 88kathy on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 08:22:17 AM PST

•  Was it, Jon Stewart who said (0+ / 0-)

"The reason right wing men fear gay people is because they don't want men treating them the way they themselves treat women." ?

by Pale Jenova on Wed Mar 05, 2014 at 05:56:59 PM PST