View Diary: Gillibrand's Military Justice Improvement Act blocked in Senate vote (49 comments)

•  Shame on these Democrats (23+ / 0-)
    Thomas R. Carper    D    DE
    Tim Kaine    D    VA
    Carl Levin    D    MI
    Joe Manchin III    D    WV
    Claire McCaskill    D    MO
    Bill Nelson    D    FL
    Jack Reed    D    RI
    Jon Tester    D    MT
    Mark Warner    D    VA
    Sheldon Whitehouse    D    RI

Warning - some snark may be above‽ (-9.50; -7.03)‽ eState4Column5©2013 "I’m not the strapping young Muslim socialist that I used to be" - Barack Obama 04/27/2013 (@eState4Column5).

by annieli on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 01:20:42 PM PST

•  Whitehouse? (9+ / 0-)

That's a surprise. The rest, not so much.

1. Books are for use.

by looty on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 01:23:34 PM PST

•  I AM surprised at Whitehouse (8+ / 0-)

and Reed. And ashamed of all of them.

•  Sheldon Whitehouse? Why? (3+ / 0-)
      wishingwell, Mannie, TheUnknown285
      •  Well, I don't get the others either (0+ / 0-)

Do they really represent a significant number of misogynist yahoos who think the "l'il lady" is lying? Even though she's serving or has served in the military? Where's the downside of voting yes here?

Ed FitzGerald for governor Of Ohio. Women's lives depend on it. http://www.edfitzgeraldforohio.com/

by anastasia p on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 03:06:41 PM PST

•  Why can't we have nice things (7+ / 0-)

Even on the obvious, basic, simple, default things that every Democrat should support (every politician, really), we still lose. Play defense and we lose political ground. Play offense and we lose what good policy we had.

Corruption, fear, cowardice, surrender... We're fighting our own team to do the right thing.

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 01:51:26 PM PST

•  Perhaps there's a perception problem. (0+ / 0-)

Perhaps this case is not as "obvious, basic, simple" as it seems to some (I don't know the details or the implications of this particular bill as I've  not read it). However, the fact that ten Democrats (about 17%) were against it and ten Republicans (about 25%) including, I think, Rand and Cruz were in favor of it suggests that the ideal answer isn't quite as obvious as it seems.

This also suggests to me that the stereotyping and demonization of Republicans and Democrats by those on the extremes of the opposing parties is overblown and based more on emotion than thought and logic. Here, for example, the term "Republican", or some derogatory term for "Republican", is used to refer to the tens of millions of Americans who routinely vote Republican as if they are one entity. But, they obviously are not. Back when I used to look at the cesspool called Free Republic occasionally, the inverse of course was occurring (and, I suspect it's not gotten any better).

The Democrats control the Senate and the Republicans the House mostly because of our de facto two party system.

In order to get a "D" elected, that person has to be palatable to the people being represented. That requires that both parties accept a range of views if they want to control anything in either Congress or the Administration.

It's fine for one to try to move their party to the edge they prefer, regardless if one is a Tea Party Republicans or Progressive Democrat. However, the risk is ceding the middle ground (and a lot of votes which neither party can afford to lose) to the other party.

•  And Angus King to round out the caucus (2+ / 0-)
      Matt Z, Mannie
    •  I KNEW Manchin would oppose (2+ / 0-)
      Mannie, TheUnknown285

Anything involving to help women or blacks he's against.

•  how many of them (0+ / 0-)

can say that they are representing the will of the electorate?

It is one thing to vote according to those who elected you and another just to throw a bill away

The left will make little progress until individuals make it a priority to talk about campaign finance reform in daily conversations with the public

by GideonAB on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 02:28:04 PM PST

•  This is why I refuse to donate a cent (0+ / 0-)

to the Democratic Senatorial Committee or any Democratic party mailing asking for money.  They support all "Democrats" running for office.  This is one issue (along with reigning in the NSA and acting on climate change) that determines whether or not I even try to send money to a candidate.  I don't have many litmus tests, but letting women in the service get gang raped by their fellow soldiers is one of them.  I am extremely disappointed in Sheldon Whitehouse, and will not send him a cent, unlike before, unless and until he changes his vote on this issue.  Nor for McCaskill or Tester or Kaine.  NOT ONE CENT until this injustice is effectively addressed, and that means independent means outside the command structure which, obviously, covers up these atrocities more often than it roots them out.  I'd like to see the list of Republican senators who supported Gillibrand's bill, just out of curiosity.  Can anyone post that list too?

These Republicans have filibustered more . . . while accomplishing less . . . (and) while attempting to block more nominees than any other Congress in the history of our republic--Jon Stewart

by monkeybrainpolitics on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 06:20:13 PM PST

•  I see Aximill already did this (0+ / 0-)

while I was writing my comment.  Thanks!

by monkeybrainpolitics on Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 06:21:16 PM PST